Toe Catching on a turn??

JBAX

OK so was taking a sweeping corner at decent speed (40mph)....

Did not think I was leaning that hard, but had my weight forward and had my feet angled forward on the pegs (instead of flat, or balls of feet on pegs). So the toe/front of my foot was 2-4 inches below the peg.

The toe of my inside boot hit the ground and was immediately kicked up off the peg (better than being dragged under it). Was in boots and nothing happened, other than it shocked me and had me thinking 'I am an idiot for having a foot below the bottom of the peg in a turn.'

General rule: Feet above pegs at all times?

Anyone done this?

Should I go back to riding 101?

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

JBAX

Thanks Marthy.

Been putting some time in and just working on being smooth. But I will do some homework on skills and technique. Obviously it's been too long since I have really ridden.

Anyone know of good courses to take in the CT/NY/NJ areas? Probably too late in the season this year, but I would like to improve my skills next year. If there was Classroom and track time that would be ideal.

Any reccomendations would be appreciated.

Slick

I usually wear cowboy boots when I ride, though I do have a pair of Wolverine boots (chukka's) that have a flat sole. I have not had the experience you mentioned, but I have scraped the soles of my boots (ball of foot area each time) while going into a tight, ascending curve. It is definitely an attention getter.

I choose to ride with the footpeg firmly planted on the heel-sole intersection on my boot. I have done this for years with no ill effect. For me, and I am unanimous in this, riding with ball of my feet on the footpeg for more than a few miles makes my calves cramp.

Also, riding the way I do allows me to stand up on the footpegs without repositioning my feet. Heaves and dips, cracks and potholes are more easily handled for me by simply standing up or rising off the seat a few inches.

I wear cowboy boots mainly because I can't afford quality riding boots. And most of what I find won't fit my calves. I have several pairs of cowboy boots (Ariat and Rocky). They are leather and cover my ankles, and darned comfortable to boot. (Pun intended). And the folks in Texas would laugh at me if I didn't!

-Slick

latony007

what i really need is a course that will let you crash their bike lol. Im good with regular riding skills but avoiding a crash or supper short stopping there is no real way to practice or improve if you know what i mean.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

JBAX

So been riding, balls of feet on pegs, and using my legs and core muscles to keep weight rearward, the arms and hands light, and keeping better riding posture. Also been watching the California Superbike 20min series on youtube and those are also helpful at introducing the correct form and habits for cornering.

All I can say is I am really rusty, but the feeling I have now is I am actively riding the bike, not just plopped a top of it.

Thanks Guys. Hoping to try some of the courses offered by The Oldest Motorcycle Roadracing School in the Country! - Penguin Roadracing School in 2015.

BTW 33 degrees F this morning. It was a little fresh on the ride into work this morning, but warming up later!! When I'll take the very indirect route home.