Time spent with the President of Yamaha

elikhom

I think this is the same issue with just about every bike. has anyone clocked their FZ6R with a GPS and if so was it close or...? thanks
Yes, I have and remember reading about it here before. Just this morning I remember seeing the speedo at 96 or so, when I got home the contour gps marked 90mph.

Parcho

I think this is the same issue with just about every bike. has anyone clocked their FZ6R with a GPS and if so was it close or...? thanks
To answer your question... sort of. A week after purchasing my bike, which was new/completely stock besides a low-jack system, I rode past a display radar. My speedometer was at 40 mph. The radar display said 40.

As for more information that would throw our speedometer out of sync with our actual speed: Wiki Speedometer. Read the part on Errors. Its a mix of the company having to cover their butts so they are not held responsible for people speeding :innocent:, and UN-ECE Regulation 39.

RoadTrip

I think Yamaha has done a great job with the FZ6R, but I think it would be cool if they had an additional model called the FZ6RS that had a hit up top and upgraded suspension, and perhaps shed a few pounds, and slightly more aggressive ergos. Kind of like the Ducati monster 3 model line up.

FZ6R - $7000 - 70hp, 470lbs (beginner)

FZ6RS - $8500 - 85hp, 440lbs (amateur) - maybe like the old R6s, but not quite as SS-ish

R6 - $10500 - 105hp, 410lbs (pro model)

ballpark numbers

Last edited:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Fizzer6R

he prob won't say, if he knows, but wonder if they'll keep making/updating the model or faze it out. kinda worried since they still have new 09's sitting in crates at some dealerships. did they just produce too many that year or...? hope the 2010/2011 sales figures ended up better than 09

Husker001

What kind of accessories?
It's more or less looking at what most are doing to their bikes - aftermarket pipes, windshields, bags, they could offer up specific lighting accessories - items to make our bikes stand out so people see us, custom fairings, carbon fiber parts or carbon fiber looking parts to replace stock, luggage options, etc.

Crocop43

I'm calling bs until I see pics...... Good job trolling

husker525

I will mention several of the great ideas that have been posted, and give you all a huge thank you for your input.

As for the naysayers, you must live a miserable life when all you can do is post negative things on a website. I live my life with duty, honor, integrity and respect.

Chaphil3

1)

3) Could they pressure GE Money bank to set up an online payment service? It was really irritating to be forced to mail a check or setup auto deduction and then have no ability to pay extra! This being my first motorcycle purchase, that's been my only bad experience and because of it I will never finance a motorcycle through that company again; I will finance through my bank OR pay in full. They are not set up to be consumer friendly.
That is so irritating. Then if you pay over phone, you get a $10 charge! I had to buy checks just for this. I hate checks smh

JSP

Super Moderator
I will mention several of the great ideas that have been posted, and give you all a huge thank you for your input.

As for the naysayers, you must live a miserable life when all you can do is post negative things on a website. I live my life with duty, honor, integrity and respect.

So how did this all come about? Why you?

Hellgate

They had one. It didn't sell from what I've been told. All the companies had one. For some reason, the only one that has been successful and the only one out right now is the Gixx. (This is just what I've been told as I've really only been in the motorcycle community for a couple of years. So if I'm wrong, please correct me.)
Superbike racing moved from 750s to 1000s. It's moved around over the years, 1000cc in the late 70's, earlier 80's, then down to 750, then back to 1000. Go figure. I think also with the poor motorcycle sales since, 2006 mfgs have pared their offerings, hence no 750s. That said, the new GSXR 750 is an amazing motorcycle, and perhaps the biggest reason, people don't feel "manly" on a bike smaller than a 1000, just ask the Hardlee guys who ride 1340cc bikes that make an earth shattering 70hp...

husker525

Well, I wish this was a short story, but this is how it all played out.

I raced at the age of 17 for Yamaha, racing 3 wheelers, road racing, and dirt bikes. My primary sponsorship was for ATV's. My boss at the time, and myself, were chosen to do R&D for a new racing 3 wheeler, called the Tri-Z 250. We had fabricated an ATV with a YZ125 motor in it, and built all the suspension. Yamaha then later decided to go with a 250 cc engine. I lost my ride in 1987 due to federal regulations banning the sale of 3 wheelers.

I got out of the sport completely until 2002. I built a Yamaha Warrior 350 quad for supercross racing. After 5 races, I was notified by Alba that I was getting a support ride for the new YFZ 450 quad, in conjunction with Yamaha, as a support ride. I would get factory support, but not be a fully sponsored factory rider.

I won several state championships and titles ranging from supercross, arenacross and TT racing. I did the backflip on a Yamaha quad, which was very rare, and brought even more attention to the YFZ 450. I spent the last years donating time and money to the very young mx, and quad riders, offering free racing and riding schools. I went overseas, and raced the Dubai Desert Challenge on a new YFZR 450 quad, finishing 6th out of 118 quad entries. I had developed some new power adding mods for the 450 engine, and after experimenting for both power and reliability, gave those mods to some of the Yamaha Engine Tech engineers. They used some of the information in the newer style 450 FI dirt bikes.

In 2009, my local Yamaha dealer, and sponsor, comped me an FZ6R. Sales were very low, and they needed someone to promote the bike. My other sponsors funded some of the radical mods on the bike, to personalize it for me. I take the bike to several drag race events, and shows, with all winnings going back to charitable organizations. I do a lot for Children's Hospital, fallen law enforcement officers and their families, and military rides.

My local dealership asked me to come to work, doing sales and marketing, as they are a family owned dealership in business for the last 44 years. I had never done sales, and had no clue what I was doing, but just knew a lot about bikes and quads. I had sold all the FZ6R's we had, and my boss had to go out and find more, as I sold them faster than he could get them. I sold more FZ6R's in one month, then the entire dealership had sold since they received their initial shipment. I guess I had sold more units then anyone else in my district. (I truly don't even know what falls into that classification, other than Colorado, Wyoming, parts of Nebraska, Oklahoma, and maybe one other state)

I was just doing what I thought I was supposed to be doing, but it caught the attention of the District rep. He started doing research on what I had done in my racing career, and what I had done for Yamaha. He apparently took it to his superiors, who passed it up the chain. I had only exchanged casual pleasantries with him the few times I had seen him.

He called me last week, letting me know that the new president was impressed at my dedication and loyalty to Yamaha, both on the track, and now being employed by a Yamaha dealer. They wanted to give me an achievement award, and since I boosted the business in a failing economy, wanted my opinions as to products, product lines, etc.

When asked 'why me'? I have no idea. I like Yamaha products, and believe in them. I think customer service should be a number 1 priority, and strive to treat people like I would like to be treated. I have not received less than 98% on my Customer Service Interviews after a sale. I guess that is not the norm. The president was coming out for the MX Nationals, at Thunder Valley, in Lakewood, Colorado, and wanted to come in early to meet with me while he was here. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile, so I thought I would pass on what ideas I had received from other Yamaha owners. So much of the ideas get filtered through emails, and other obstacles, but since I have the ear of the man in charge, and he asked, why not give them to him?

Some of the newest members of this site, were directed to sign up, by me, when I introduced them to their new FZ6R. I help all of the FZ6R owners with accessories, mods, etc, both from Yamaha, and aftermarket. It is all about the love of powersports....

Last edited:

ksanbon

In 2009, my local Yamaha dealer, and sponsor, comped me an FZ6R. Sales were very low, and they needed someone to promote the bike. My other sponsors funded some of the radical mods on the bike, to personalize it for me.......
......I help all of the FZ6R owners with accessories, mods, etc, both from Yamaha, and aftermarket. It is all about the love of powersports....
So, please start a thread to share all the details about your 6r. I would really appreciate it!

keith

husker525

So, please start a thread to share all the details about your 6r. I would really appreciate it!

keith
http://www.600cc.org/forum/f89/my-build-progress-18842/

High compression CP pistons, custom cut to Venom Performance specifications, custom grind camshafts, ported and polished head, custom NOS PCV mapping, bored throttle bodies, balanced crankshaft, custom Venom exhaust fabricated to look externally like OEM.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Fizzer6R

husker that's awesome man! I grew up a 80's honda kid w/CR80, 200X, ATC250R & TRX250R before moving onto the street and a riding bud had a TRI-Z. those were the days back then, not much any responsibility and roosting all over :cool: