Thinking about purchasing another bike? POST/ASK/TELL HERE!

Superzoom

You can always sell your bike yourself. But really, as my father in law says "it's not about how much is your debt, it's all about how much you pay" if you fell comfortable with $200, why not?
There are a few million mortgage defaulters in the U.S. who would probably beg to differ with your father-in-law. Just a thought.

But seriously, I hate seeing anyone get deeper into debt. Everything is good until you lose your job, or until your financial situation changes.

bleedinblue

Elite Member

Detrich

yah, to me the bike is still a weekend toy- no matter how i try to rationalize it. and, it's hard for me to spend a lotta money on something that goes from being a toy to the same price of a small economy car. <lol>

i know plenty of ppl who dump $15 to $18K on euro bikes. and, i wish i had the balls to do it. but, it's a personal choice really... as long as you are happy with what you have that's the most important thing :)

there is always something bigger, better, faster. it's one's own state of mind that determines what's good enough or not, or whether it's worth spending the money on something or not.. :)

BoneJj

Motorcycles are designed with specific intentions in mind, and every feature has a price.It is up to the buyer to evaluate that on there own.Wich imo is poorly done in the motorcycle world.Dirtbikes ARE motorcycles.If you dont have any experience on a dirtbike, you have absolutely no business riding a streetbike across a field for a picnic, or down a gravel road even.The same thing goes for a ss rider that doesn't need fully adjustable suspension.Its a funny thing all of the severe tankslappers on youtube are on supersports.It makes me wonder if they ever dialed in the suspension on there own bike...

Magazines are great for reviewing motorcycles, but not the buyers situation and needs.They just highlight everything the uneducated desire.

Live with what you need, and what you need will grow with your experience, resources and judgement.This forum has awoken me to alot of things, and self education is the biggest part of being a motorcyclist.

Since my comment in the "how do you steer" thread, and seeing some vids posted here.I have bought books, and thought twice as much.Kieth Code is amazing.The way he makes sure the reader fully understands what he is saying is key.I really wish he would write a similar book on the technology different people should look for when making a motorcycle purchase.The only bikes I could justify as a upgrade to myself are a fz1 or a super tenere.Anything else I think would be more of a luxury purchase because I wont be using much of what I gained.It actually might be using me.
I don't care for the rest of your post about not stopping. I probably still would... but then again I was a Corpsman and that's part of my life.

I completely agree on the rest though. People should ride a couple dirt bikes and screw up on them before getting on a street bike. I didn't have that opportunity myself but I did have the chance with my first street bike to screw around and jack it up and fix it (I only paid 800 for my first bike), put a grand in it after that.

I also highly agree that the video reviews and magazines don't concentrate on the facts that matter about the bike like ergonomics, and other features and fit and feel like I feel they should. They just talk about the basics and never bother with anything more in-depth about the bikes... WTH. If I wanted to know what you told me in your article I would have read the damn dealer flyer on the bike....

Steering is an art and needs to be taken as that when you start to learn how to advance yourself in that respect. It's crazy what the littlest of changes in how you treat the bike will do for you in the long run.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Fzara2000

What's everyone's opinion of the ducati 848 evo for a 2nd bike?

Just curious - it seems that the ergo's are verry aggressive, almost (or worse) than the daytona 675

CrazyCawi

What's everyone's opinion of the ducati 848 evo for a 2nd bike?

Just curious - it seems that the ergo's are verry aggressive, almost (or worse) than the daytona 675
I have heard from fellow riders who own them its not a comfort bike at all. Track days yes, into town to show boat for an hour, yes. Ripping through the twisties on a full day ride, ergos will destroy your body.

Thats the price you pay for the beauty and power of the bike. The ergos on my zx6r are quite aggressive and My arms tend to get sore or numb after about an hour of riding in a commute situation(twisties I dont notice because thats not my focus)....but to each their own. I love the 848, and I will probably be ending up with the streetfighter version of it, or a z1000.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

BKP

Congratulations to all that are "progressing" to more (horse)power on a SS pretzel-maker... if that's what lights your fuse...

When I tire of the Fizzer (which I don't see happening in the foreseeable future), I'm going in the *other* direction:

or:

CrazyCawi

Obviously the victory is the better choice :)

BKP

Obviously the victory is the better choice :)
That Victory Judge is beautiful, isn't it?
Except at 1731cc and 97 horses, it's about twice what I need... (in cost as well).

But, that Shadow Phantom -- and me being a Honda (and Yamaha, of course), fan... is right in that power/cost benefit sweet spot...

However, right now, I'm REALLY enjoying the FZ6R... and would buy it again... today... and can't think of a better testament.
It's been incredibly reliable, consistent, maintenance free (except for the normal scheduled TLC), with a great aftermarket offering, and it's doing an *amazing* job of keeping me out of trouble, despite the phone talking, left-turning, dipsticks that seem to be dogging me on a daily basis... Yesterday's entry (I'm tired of this... next one, I go after):

PLEASE be careful out there! I swear they're all blind...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuxP1qGZKnM]Green van left turner - YouTube[/ame]

(And yes, I jammed both brakes, just like the last vid I posted -- didn't even have a chance to hit the horn... The bike stayed true, level, and straight...)

Last edited:

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

BKP

You're probably right... I've never ridden a cruiser, hadn't thought about the torque/power differences.
Waiting for the next demo days for either the Yami V-Stars, Honda, or Victory... I'd even try a Harley 833, but have a feeling price/performance wise, Harley's wouldn't be a fit...

Nyuu

I've ridden a few cruisers, not enough to say I'm experienced in their riding style. However, FZwhite is right. Anything less than 1100ccs on a real cruiser is going to be very boring and very uncomfortable. They weigh 250-400 lbs more on average than our bike, so the acceleration is strained on anything weaker than 1100cc.

My friend swears by his Honda VTX 1300 and won't even try to enjoy another bike. Sounds noisey, not my style :)

Alex6

You do realize that on these bikes the twisty rubbery thing on the right handlebar is actually serves as a volume control, right? ;)

BKP

@Nyuu: You bring up a good point.

Most of the cruisers (in the 750-850cc range) seem to have better torque dynos than the FZ6R (ie. the Honda Shadow comes in at almost 40@4400rpm, while the FZ6R has to hit 8500 to get up to its max of 38ft-lbs. of torque), however, the FZ6R has almost twice the horses (35 vs 64).

I haven't tried to figure out, or explore the paradigm there -- perhaps someone can better explain the torque/hp relationship.

EDIT: Well, now I've begun to. Good article: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2215/whats-the-difference-between-horsepower-and-torque
Seems to favor torque over horses. This would also tend to support the cruiser having the better acceleration (but, I'm going to keep reading -- interesting stuff).

Whew... the more I read, the more it seems to be a Pandora's Box... Probably a subject for its own thread...

Last edited:

blkbrd

Elite Member

Chevyfazer

@Nyuu: You bring up a good point.

Most of the cruisers (in the 750-850cc range) seem to have better torque dynos than the FZ6R (ie. the Honda Shadow comes in at almost 40@4400rpm, while the FZ6R has to hit 8500 to get up to its max of 38ft-lbs. of torque), however, the FZ6R has almost twice the horses (35 vs 64).

I haven't tried to figure out, or explore the paradigm there -- perhaps someone can better explain the torque/hp relationship.

EDIT: Well, now I've begun to. Good article: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2215/whats-the-difference-between-horsepower-and-torque
Seems to favor torque over horses. This would also tend to support the cruiser having the better acceleration (but, I'm going to keep reading -- interesting stuff).

Whew... the more I read, the more it seems to be a Pandora's Box... Probably a subject for its own thread...
You mentioning that reminded me of a saying I herd once. Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you!