The First Crash is The Hardest

SurfJunkie. I've been commuting to work on I-80 to/from San Francisco for almost 3 years, rush hours are the most dangerous time to ride in my opinion. Carpool cheaters cut in and out as they know all the middle freeway spots where CHPs would park and wait.

Thank you, I am blessed with good health and been back riding, however very carefully now.

Appreciate the insight.
Very happy to hear you are healed up and riding.

Thanks again for your story and perspective. You've deffinately inspired me to slow down and increase my following distance.
Next up for me needs to be a helmet cam if i continue to commute. I think im going to take a break from the bike for a bit and cage it for school/ease of use for awhile. Ive been commuting over a year and put over 14K on the FZ6R this year.

Rubber side down ! Stay safe !

Appreciate the insight.
Very happy to hear you are healed up and riding.

Thanks again for your story and perspective. You've deffinately inspired me to slow down and increase my following distance.
Next up for me needs to be a helmet cam if i continue to commute. I think im going to take a break from the bike for a bit and cage it for school/ease of use for awhile. Ive been commuting over a year and put over 14K on the FZ6R this year.

Rubber side down ! Stay safe !

You are welcome, SurfJunkie. The helmet cam I use made by Contour. It is a good idea to ride with a helmet cam because it also helps me to stay legal while riding. 14K in a year is a lot for just commuting. I commute about 60 miles a day just about the same miles per year as yours.

Cause that makes sense, car broke so instead of going to the right shoulder, he crosses over a lane into the left shoulder.

He is just making up a stupid excuse for being an idiot.

So sorry for taking video off line while waiting for insurance and CHP report and for not being responsive.

applejax, no carpool, no limo broken down, it was just an excuse. After telling his story to a CHP he drove off on the regular toll lane on the left as he was intended to in the first place.

More detailed CHP report on page 5 - hope it is helpful to everyone.

Last edited:
Am really sorry this happened, but am relieved that u r ok. Tnx for sharing this experience with the forum, as I'm sure it will help many riders learn something. I'm also sorry that the outcome was not in ur favor. That limo driver is a "commercial driver" and technically he has a higher degree of responsibility when operating a motor vehicle- ESP when on the freeway. But, he's a good liar, and I guess he got away with it this time. Hopefully, karma will catch up with him. Did the police report actually say u were at fault? Which insurance carrier do u have, if u don't mind me asking? Different insurance co's sometimes rule slightly differently in such cases. Personally, I've decided that i will never commute on a bike, because I feel that commuting drivers are just too dangerous and hazardous to deal with. But, I do understand that not everyone can afford a car. Please ride safely everyone...

Last edited:
Glad you're ok man. I watched the video. In morality he is wrong HOWEVER, under the law I think you're gonna get stuck with this one. Here. Dude can slam on his brakes in the middle of the road and it doesn't mean anything, If I hit him in the rear, it's considered my fault.

Being a rider, I'm pulling for you though.

Let us know how INS handles this.

Thank you, Anthony. You are correct the INS (start with the cap G) sent me documents stating two important comments below. The first comment points to myself, the second points to the limo driver.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1.California law requires that we inform you when the driver of your vehicle has been determined to be principally at fault for an accident, because the driver of your vehicle was not traveling at a safe distance from the traffic ahead.

2.California law requires us to inform you that someone in this accident is seeking medical treatment.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Am really sorry this happened, but am relieved that u r ok. Tnx for sharing this experience with the forum, as I'm sure it will help many riders learn something. I'm also sorry that the outcome was not in ur favor. That limo driver is a "commercial driver" and technically he has a higher degree of responsibility when operating a motor vehicle- ESP when on the freeway. But, he's a good liar, and I guess he got away with it this time. Hopefully, karma will catch up with him. Did the police report actually say u were at fault? Which insurance carrier do u have, if u don't mind me asking? Different insurance co's sometimes rule slightly differently in such cases. Personally, I've decided that i will never commute on a bike, because I feel that commuting drivers are just too dangerous and hazardous to deal with. But, I do understand that not everyone can afford a car. Please ride safely everyone...

Thank you, Detrich. I am blessed to come out of the accident with no serious injuries and I am getting over the psychological effects. Would you please read my reply regarding the CHP report on page 5, and the insurance info on the thread above this one. Please feel free to ask questions if any.

Oh, I agree that commuting on a bike is very dangerous. I have another commuting during morning rush hours traffic to support what you said. Please see the video below. BTW: the last red SUV was the worse, she came back to cut me off just to fulfill her ego. Since the accident I have been riding much more carefully and keep a good distance for enough room to stop.

http://youtu.be/Kk76WZVr3LQ

Last edited:
Omg that lady in the red SUV is a f'n B if I've ever seen one. >=(

I agree with you...

But again, In My state, If he did that and I hit him from the rear it would be my fault. They would say I was following to close behind and didin't allow myself enough room to stop. They even preached it to me during the MSF course.

That's why I said I think it was his fault but again, here, I would be the one having to pay for it because I hit him in the rear, even though he stopped in traffic.
You are totally correct on this case in CA. See the CHP report on page 5

Oh wow!

I'm so glad that you are okay!

Thank you SO MUCH for posting the vid!

You have no idea how much you just helped me - I appreciate it so much!

I watched this vid two nights ago before my very first ride yesterday, and you helped me watch out and avoid two drivers who suddenly jumped out in front of me from residential streets and sped away. I had your video on my mind all day during my first ride and was constantly looking out for "what if" situations and making sure I had an out.

God and karma will take care of that liar. You may never know the outcome, but trust me, justice is always served one way or another down the road.

THANK YOU for sharing and helping!!!
Pointman1776, glad to hear that the video helps you learn from my incorrect assumption (far left lane is a passing lane). Morning/evening rush hours are usually more dangerous than other hours.

Omg that lady in the red SUV is a f'n B if I've ever seen one. >=(

Yes, Detrich. I completely agree. A very vicious and dangerous to all motorists. Cut people off and she could careless if you crash and die. There are number of people like this on the road and it is very sad.

Back