Taken from another forum but good info

fz6rwolf

This was from another forum STN but thought ya'll might be interested. I am surprised the review wasn't more something like the Ninja 650R and GSX650F as they are closer related to the FZ6R. I looked hard at the Ninja650R and GSX650F but the Ninja just didn't feel comfortable to me though alot of people swear by them and have made them into light sport-tourers. The GSX650F just felt bulky but I like that it has a gear indicator. I like the I4 also even though it's a higher revving motor than the twins I think it's smoother and on the highway I get no vibration even though some folks here have said they get some. Only thing I'm trying to fix is I get some vibration noise from left side fairing and I've tightened everything and can't figure out how to get the noise to stop:confused:. Well here's the post from the other forum, I went to Motorcycle Consumer News site but couldn't find the article this is refering to so if anyone finds it and can post a link for us to review would be great. Oh, and in case anyone's noticed yes I have extra time on my hands as I'm nursing a sciatic nerve injury and have some time off work to heal some, at least enough to sit and stand without excrutiating pain shooting down my left leg:( :

The newest issue of Motorcycle Consumer News (American version), has a detailed review of these three bikes. I have been thinking for awhile of getting something smaller for around town, and the Ninja 650R's (not N) been on the short list. After reading this review, the FZ6R might be a much better choice. Long story short, the FZ6R won HANDS down over the 650N and Gladius.

It was surprising that they tested these three together, two nakeds and a fully faired bike, but price, size, power, market target, etc are all very similar for these three. Although the FZ6R is down 20HP from the regular FZ6, it has a MUCH more useable powerband that pulls cleanly from 1,500 rpm, vs. the regular FZ6, that won't pull cleanly until 4,000rpm.

The suspension on the FZ6R is also far superior to the 650N or Gladius. Shift action was the best on the FZ6R, and clutch action and effort WAY better than the FZ6.

The fueling on the FZ6R is also very smooth and snatch free. Seat more comfortable etc. The other surprise was how much they didnt like the Galdius. Bad suspension etc.

Lastly, the FZ6R is listed at $6,999, about $400-$500 more than the other two, BUT is still a better value overall. Plus, my local dealer, Honda East, has the FZ6R for $6,000, same price as the NINJA 650.

gsrtroy

thanks for sharing the info, i cant wait until they do a shootout on the ninja 650r, the suzuki 650, and the fz6r.

cbzdel

Good read!

I still haven't read any negative reviews about the FZ6R! Yamaha has definately done a great job on this bike!

O-turn

Partier
I still haven't read any negative reviews about the FZ6R! Yamaha has definately done a great job on this bike!
I think so too, I looked at all of those bikes and this one IMO is head and shoulders above...

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed! :thumbup:

Senaca

A friend of mine bought a Bandit 650 in '07 when I bought my FZ6 (non-R). The bandit is the half-faired version of the GSX650F. Minor changes, such as the gauges and the F is fully faired now.

I rode it a few times, I didn't like the ergonomics as much for myself. The clutch for one is not as nice to use as the FZ6R.

Now, with the FZ6R, we're going to swap bikes again and I'll see how I feel... I think I'll like the FZ6R that much more again...

SoulRider

The FZ6R weighs 29 pounds more and is $500 more than the Kawasaki at my OTD dealer. Those are the only things I can find written down that give the advantage to the Ninja 650R.
But writing isn't the whole thing and that's why they really need to offer test drives here. I bet Yamaha could sell a lot more bikes if they let people compare rides, instead of just the specs.

Last edited:

WenMark

I researched for 2 months read all the publications. Including the Consumer news article which I posted (hard to read under FZ6R report) All seem favorable towards the "R" the only negatives were the reduced Hp but said the refinements more than justified the reduction and it was the all around favorite. They did say they saw some corrosion but who knows how they transport these bikes or where they ride them and they said most all have shown some wear as they dog the heck out of them during testing. That is why I feel the 'R' is the best value for all you get. Man and once you ride it I was hooked. :)

fz6rwolf

No, but I hardly notice it anymore. If it bothers me i'll get some little o-rings or something to try.

amirw

I don't know
I commute 45 miles a day with this bike and I was considering the Ninja 650. Eventually I preferred the Inline 4 on the Ninja parallel twin, It has more power, it is bigger and you need mass on CA highways. Finally, let's not forget that Yamaha after market is much better then Kawasaki
I was hooked since the moment I started it on the dealer parking lot great bike

Amir

BluePill

I bet Yamaha could sell a lot more bikes if they let people compare rides, instead of just the specs.
Yeah, a 10 mile road test sold me. I was actually suprised when the dealer said he would set one up for me to test after I expressed interest in the bike. (Full disclosure: I bought another bike from him the year before, and he knows I had been a mechanic at two other dealerships). But his willingness to let me try it made a sale for him.

Last edited: