T-rex frame sliders

travisH3

Hey fellas,

I got my t-rex frame sliders in the mail the other day and prolly gonna install them today or tomorrow. it says to support the engine while installing when you remove the motor mount bolts, is it necessary to do if I do one side at a time or what?. IF not whats the best way to go about supporting the motor with the exhaust running under the oil pan. thanks everyone and Ill be sure to post pictures after because thats what everyone wants to see ;)

travisH3

travisH3

what a chore. so I go to start installing everything, and what do you know. the fine threaded large motor mount bolts thread in but are really wobbly and id be afraid to torque them down because it doesnt seem they are biting good. and if i compare them to the stock bolts you can see the diameter of the factory bolt is larger than the ones that came with the kit. not only that but before i leave to go buy new bolts I decide to check the other ones. the smaller bolts thread fine, but the ones that are course threaded M10 bolts that hold the pucks on, they sent me one fine thread and one course threaded bolt. this is ridiculous. I was gonna get the shoguns because they were a hair cheaper but I liked my T-rex spool adapters but this is terrible. Just more money out of my pocket and less riding time on this BEAUTIFUL day. Rant over lol I will let y'all know if i get this done today haha

what a chore. so I go to start installing everything, and what do you know. the fine threaded large motor mount bolts thread in but are really wobbly and id be afraid to torque them down because it doesnt seem they are biting good. and if i compare them to the stock bolts you can see the diameter of the factory bolt is larger than the ones that came with the kit. not only that but before i leave to go buy new bolts I decide to check the other ones. the smaller bolts thread fine, but the ones that are course threaded M10 bolts that hold the pucks on, they sent me one fine thread and one course threaded bolt. this is ridiculous. I was gonna get the shoguns because they were a hair cheaper but I liked my T-rex spool adapters but this is terrible. Just more money out of my pocket and less riding time on this BEAUTIFUL day. Rant over lol I will let y'all know if i get this done today haha
I've heard this a few times with T-rex's bolts. I think someone even had their's snap off.
In for a solution since I was planning on ordering these soon.

travisH3

So i went to the hardware store and bought 2 new stronger than grade 8 bolts with coarse thread M10x1.25 bolts to hold the pucks on. then bought 4 M10x1.5 bolts for the motor mounts. the new bolts fit just as good as the oem bolts. the t-rex bolts had tons of slop even when screwed in all the way. on each side the oem bolts had 2 different sized bolts, if you use the length of the bolts they provide one of the bolts WILL bottom out into the block of the motor which is NOT good. so on each side i Used the the longer oem bolt on the shallow motor mount and one of the bolts I bought at the hardware store. used blue lock-tite. next problem was the right side(if you were sitting on bike) mount front most hole was off by a good bit. I had to end up opening the hole to 9/16" just so i can get the front motor mount hole able to thread. by that time the bracket will be scratched to hell and back because of trying to drill the steel so your gonna need to now repaint the bracket. I used a washer on the bolt hole that i opened up. next problem I ran into was that when you go to thread the puck onto the threaded shaft you bolt to the bracket, well the puck doesnt go all the way flush with the mount. by having the puck go all the way flush it adds to the strength of the sliders. so I had to cut that down about a 1/4" which was pretty tricky since i didnt want to mess up the threads. After its all said and done I cant believe they let a product like this get sold. I do alot of mechanic work, mostly diesels and some gas stuff but I can install a lift kit on a diesel faster than installing this with all the modifications I had to do. I grabbed my small rolling tool cart expecting this to be a straight forward and simple install. NOPE, I had my dremel tool, sawzall, pnuematic die grinder, drill. I couldnt believe it. For the money i spent i just should have bought the oem yamaha cut frame sliders. atleast yamaha may have their crap together. I will not suggest a t-rex product to anyone. I can only imagine someone trying to install this that doesnt do mechanic/fab work daily.

heres some pics for you guys, I will be contacting t-rex to see about a partial refund

fine vs coarse threads that I only got 1 coarse bolt

trimming on puck mount

receipt for bolts and blue loctite

Last edited:

Bert-Aus

Wow you guys get upset pretty easy, my TRex had an issue with one hole slightly out of whack,
But I didnt consider it that much of issue to berth the hole slightly.
Any how that is what this forum is about venting & sharing pro's/ con's of mods etc

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

AL72

Damn manufacturers! I've read a lot of posts about frame silders installation and in most of the cases there is a problem with the supplied bolts. I just bought on ebay the Shogun, and thanks god the bolts was ok and the installation was very easy. And I say thanks god because I live in Mexico and here is very hard to find this kind of bolts.
I do not think it would be very difficult for manufacturers to ensure supply of good quality bolts.

Regards!

travisH3

Wow you guys get upset pretty easy, my TRex had an issue with one hole slightly out of whack,
But I didnt consider it that much of issue to berth the hole slightly.
Any how that is what this forum is about venting & sharing pro's/ con's of mods etc

If it was just the bolts, or just the trimming of the bolt hole, or just cutting down the threaded portion or just giving me the wrong threaded bolt for the puck I would have been happy camper. I'm pretty good at making these situations right but have all 4 of those problems with one item? How happy would you be? Something that should have took me a half hour took half a day. I'm pretty calm working on my own stuff and enjoy nothing more then bolting new items on my vehicles. But when's something's supposed to bolt on but doesn't? There's a problem. What made me so mad was what if someone couldn't handle these problems? This is a very simple mod that most riders should do right away and you shouldn't have to take it to a shop to bolt some sliders up. It's not like I was set against t-Rex from the beginning. I have their spool sliders since I first got my bike and they are awesome. Fit was great. Bolts were great. This kit is lacking and they need to do something about it. Just makes me wonder if any of the people that work there have every taken a kit and tried to install it.......:confused:

travisH3

Damn manufacturers! I've read a lot of posts about frame silders installation and in most of the cases there is a problem with the supplied bolts. I just bought on ebay the Shogun, and thanks god the bolts was ok and the installation was very easy. And I say thanks god because I live in Mexico and here is very hard to find this kind of bolts.
I do not think it would be very difficult for manufacturers to ensure supply of good quality bolts.

Regards!
Yeah, you'd think they'd want good bolts holding on something that is gonna potentially take a beating if a bike goes down. I could imagine if I would have torqued those bolts to spec, I think it could have ripped the threads out of the motor which would be a lot of work to fix.

Bert-Aus

One of my bolts (the longest bolt for the right hand side) was a bit wacky (read kinked at head)
But cause I wasnt overly fussed due to 4 other High Tensile bolts plus the large offset 9mm plate in place.

Anyhow my bike went over on both sides pretty hard at around 50km/h leaving the top half of the bike bashed & bruised. Whilst the engine block, radiator grill & headers on both sides untouched
uploadfromtaptalk1397370183868.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1397370240270.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1397370283144.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1397370317813.jpg

Anyway I understand it can be frustrating that these things arent resolved in TRex's QA department.
But in the whole scheme of things, if you can see past these issues, they are a good quality product.

I will get off the soapbox now and let others have their turn:beer:

I like my T-Rex frame sliders now that they are installed, but quite honestly, knowing what I went through to install them, I would probably pick a different brand if I had to do it again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

travisH3

I like my T-Rex frame sliders now that they are installed, but quite honestly, knowing what I went through to install them, I would probably pick a different brand if I had to do it again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
agreed. i sent t-rex an email with pictures explaining whats going on and that others are having similar problems. I ordered through their account on ebay and sure enough i looked at their feedback and it says 100% but if you click on it their are 18 others that posted negative feedback about having to modify their kits, sending the wrong bolts, or bolts not fitting properly.... i will let yall know what they reply with

latony007

Yeah, you'd think they'd want good bolts holding on something that is gonna potentially take a beating if a bike goes down. I could imagine if I would have torqued those bolts to spec, I think it could have ripped the threads out of the motor which would be a lot of work to fix.
Travis i am very surprised you had this problem. However i can tell you for certain that had you emailed TRex instead of running to the store they would have taken care of everything for you. Many posts on here about how helpful they have been. They build sliders for a lot of bikes each taking several different bolts i would imagine. I can certainly see some getting mixed up in their bins or packaging people pulling from the wrong bin. I would still send them a note. glad you got them on in the end, they look good!

travisH3

Travis i am very surprised you had this problem. However i can tell you for certain that had you emailed TRex instead of running to the store they would have taken care of everything for you. Many posts on here about how helpful they have been. They build sliders for a lot of bikes each taking several different bolts i would imagine. I can certainly see some getting mixed up in their bins or packaging people pulling from the wrong bin. I would still send them a note. glad you got them on in the end, they look good!
they were bought through t-rex and I did send them a message. just heard back before dinner tonight. A guy named Fred replied asking for a phone number to call me. As others have mentioned having similar problems t-rex needs to know about them. Like I said if it was just me or 1 of the problems I wouldnt have mentioned anything. Just letting others know what they could possibly be getting into buying these. hopefully making aware of the situation to t-rex they can make an adjustment to their kit because the kit is definitely stout and I can imagine it will do very well if the bike goes down. But to have that much in the kit and it not fit correctly isnt right. Im hoping they can do a partial refund for the $15 bux in hardware I had to buy and I will be a happy camper/ and not worry about the other issues because they are fixed, they are on the bike and look good.

latony007

they were bought through t-rex and I did send them a message. just heard back before dinner tonight. A guy named Fred replied asking for a phone number to call me. As others have mentioned having similar problems t-rex needs to know about them. Like I said if it was just me or 1 of the problems I wouldnt have mentioned anything. Just letting others know what they could possibly be getting into buying these. hopefully making aware of the situation to t-rex they can make an adjustment to their kit because the kit is definitely stout and I can imagine it will do very well if the bike goes down. But to have that much in the kit and it not fit correctly isnt right. Im hoping they can do a partial refund for the $15 bux in hardware I had to buy and I will be a happy camper/ and not worry about the other issues because they are fixed, they are on the bike and look good.
I bet they will, let us know. I took my kit out of the package and had it installed in 10 minutes with zero issues. I have the tapered ones, I wish I knew why they switched back again.

travisH3

GOOD NEWS!!!!

A fella from t-rex called me today and I explained everything to him and he was very understanding and said they have had a few issues and knew about the bracket being off on the right hand side. We are thinking my kit was a packaging issue and somehow it slipped by quality control and had the wrong components so maybe it was just me. He said they stand behind their products and if there is ever a problem to give them a call and they will handle it accordingly. He asked what he could do to make me happy since Ive already hacked up their kit to make it fit lol and I said I would be happy if they covered the bolts I bought. He said that isnt good enough and said he would pay for the bolts and $25 dollar refund of the kit which I told him Wasnt necessary and he insisted. All in all T-rex racing products customer service is next to none. I would have never though they would think twice about offering me more than I asked for which just goes to show you they were sincere about wanting to make it right. He said he is relaying everything to his technician to go over the kit and make adjustments for it to fit correctly and also double check that it was just a packaging problem and not something wrong with the kits that are being produced. I left positive feedback for them on ebay and highly reccomend them to anyone looking for a quality kit. Hopefully the refining will be taken care of and the install will be problem free for all new customers.

travisH3

I bet they will, let us know. I took my kit out of the package and had it installed in 10 minutes with zero issues. I have the tapered ones, I wish I knew why they switched back again.
I wish i could have gotten the tapered ones, I like the way they looked better but these look good. so im happy and they took care of me.

latony007

I wish i could have gotten the tapered ones, I like the way they looked better but these look good. so im happy and they took care of me.
I was confident they would take care of you and insisting on more than you asked for, as you said, shows they are serious about wanting to make it right. I should have told you to ask for a couple red rings for my sliders lol.

Bert-Aus

Just goes to show when you have an issue, that you contact the company first before firing shots.

This has been discussed in other threads regarding TRex & always ends like you experienced.

Search tool is everyones friend & can save alot of heart-ache