Superzoom's Big A$$ Seat Build

Superzoom

So who here thinks the FZ6R has a great, all-day comfortable seat?

... I thought so.

So I'm finally embarking on a project I've been thinking about ever since my first long tour on the FZ6R two years ago. I realized after my first ten hour day that the seat is really, really... not great.

So the plan is to take my stock front and rear seat, strip off the covers and all the foam, and to build up a new seat pretty much from scratch, using just the original plastic seat pan.

Here's what I'm using to build it with...

Two inch high density foam, and marine grade vinyl.

I'm going to be using 1/2" plywood to cut a solid base for the seat which I will attach to the plastic seat pan with screws or bolts. The base is going to be huge--a full 15" across. That's what I measured my ass at! It's probably not going to be pretty, but it should be supportive!

I'll glue the foam to the seat, and then staple the vinyl over it all. I'm not going to sculpt the foam. It's going to be completely flat.

Believe it or not, I'm basing the design philosophy of the seat on this...

It's a Mustang Wide Touring seat, designed for cruisers. It's pretty much flat, with good supportive foam. This one is 14.5" wide. It's the width that makes it comfortable.

Total cost should be under $100. Foam was $30. Vinyl was $30. Plywood was a few bucks. I want this seat to be good for 1000 km days.

I'm going to be starting the build right... NOW! So wish me luck in the process!

danieljardim

So who here thinks the FZ6R has a great, all-day comfortable seat?

... I thought so.

So I'm finally embarking on a project I've been thinking about ever since my first long tour on the FZ6R two years ago. I realized after my first ten hour day that the seat is really, really... not great.

So the plan is to take my stock front and rear seat, strip off the covers and all the foam, and to build up a new seat pretty much from scratch, using just the original plastic seat pan.

Here's what I'm using to build it with...

Two inch high density foam, and marine grade vinyl.

I'm going to be using 1/2" plywood to cut a solid base for the seat which I will attach to the plastic seat pan with screws or bolts. The base is going to be huge--a full 15" across. That's what I measured my ass at! It's probably not going to be pretty, but it should be supportive!

I'll glue the foam to the seat, and then staple the vinyl over it all. I'm not going to sculpt the foam. It's going to be completely flat.

Believe it or not, I'm basing the design philosophy of the seat on this...

It's a Mustang Wide Touring seat, designed for cruisers. It's pretty much flat, with good supportive foam. This one is 14.5" wide. It's the width that makes it comfortable.

Total cost should be under $100. Foam was $30. Vinyl was $30. Plywood was a few bucks. I want this seat to be good for 1000 km days.

I'm going to be starting the build right... NOW! So wish me luck in the process!
Good luck. pics when you're done.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

Superzoom

If I had to redo it I will mold the shape of my a$$ with 2 part foam and cover it with 1/2 med density foam. Can't wait to see what you come up with...
Marthy, I know you redid your seat yourself. Are you still happy with it? What's the longest you can go without getting a sore butt?

Superzoom

Good luck, SZ. I just spent $75 to have Spencer at agooddaytoride.com redo my stock seat with Supracor. Only a two hour test ride, but I when I got back, I forgot to even think about how it performed. I guess that speaks volumes in and of itself.
Thanks.

My goal is to make an amazingly comfortable seat that is suitable for the long tours that I like. I just think that the stock seat is not nearly wide enough for true long distance comfort.

Maybe it's just me. Maybe my ass is too boney!

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Superzoom

A cruiser-style saddle seat on a sport bike? That's interesting. It's not something I'd consider doing, but definitely interesting. I can't wait for build pics and an After Action Report.

Err, sorry. Spent some today talking to an ex marine and reminiscing about military stuff. AAR - I'm looking forward to hearing how well it works for you.
Well, the challenge will be to keep it from looking fully cruiser-ish, but it's going to look unsporty whatever I do, as it will be almost three inches wider than the stock saddle. Although I doubt it will be as homely as the Russell Day Long saddle, which is "not good looking", but has a reputation as a fantastic saddle.

Roaddawg

A cruiser-style saddle seat on a sport bike? That's interesting. It's not something I'd consider doing, but definitely interesting. I can't wait for build pics and an After Action Report.

Err, sorry. Spent some today talking to an ex marine and reminiscing about military stuff. AAR - I'm looking forward to hearing how well it works for you.
Stuna put a big ol' custom made tractor seat on his FZ6R.
http://www.600cc.org/forum/f89/mods-old-farts-18825/

BoneJj