Stepping up: What would it be?

MikeN02

truth. That's partly why I feel i couldve started on a bigger bike even, with proper judgement and only driving it as hard as you are comfortable it seems like it would be fine. :-/
It's not just judgement, it's the power of the bike as well. Throttle response is extremely quick, and with an engine that size you need to think faster and make judgements faster as well.

I'm not saying that you wouldn't be able to handle it, but beginners who start from a 500cc or 650 and jump straight to a liter bike is still a dangerous decision.

I turned down an offer to trade my bike for a 1000 GSXR 2009 White/Red with him giving me some cash because I know I'd get in too much trouble with it.

FZ6Raven

Yeah I know.. all the 09 zx6r's come with steering dampers... but i was just saying thats one of the reasons i'd go with kawasaki over the R6.

owldaddy

Is less, more?

I find it interesting that bigger or more powerful is considered a step up. I stepped down to a 600cc street bike. I'll be keeping the bigger bike, but I doubt I will be riding it as often as the 6R. The FZ6R isn't the fasted, best handling most radical middle weight. But it is a very good street bike. I ride on the street so I was looking for something that fit me well, and did not have a peaky engine. I'll make the changes that will improve this bike for street use, the fun factor and ease of use in the environment I ride in is why I stepped up to a middle weight. Sometimes less really is more.:) Enjoy what ever you ride, that is what it is all about.

Mart Man FZ6R

I find it interesting that bigger or more powerful is considered a step up. I stepped down to a 600cc street bike. I'll be keeping the bigger bike, but I doubt I will be riding it as often as the 6R. The FZ6R isn't the fasted, best handling most radical middle weight. But it is a very good street bike. I ride on the street so I was looking for something that fit me well, and did not have a peaky engine. I'll make the changes that will improve this bike for street use, the fun factor and ease of use in the environment I ride in is why I stepped up to a middle weight. Sometimes less really is more.:) Enjoy what ever you ride, that is what it is all about.
+1 on that. I've had many larger displacement bikes and to be honest, if the liter bikes didn't cost $10K I would probably have gotten another one. The fact is this bike is very versitile and when you consider the legal speed limit, it's all you really need on the street. This was one of my favorite bikes:

2003 ZRX1200R

I know I had a really hard time staying below the legal speed limit (especially in the twisties) and also had a hard time keeping the front wheel on the ground (I loved doing wheelies). The FZ6R helps me keep a cool head and the big red cherry out of my rear view mirror.

Last edited:

owldaddy

That Kawi is real sharp. Could be hard on the DMV points I bet.:)

Mart Man FZ6R

That Kawi is real sharp. Could be hard on the DMV points I bet.:)
Thanks Don,

I was lucky that when I played, nobody was around to notice (police anyway). That actually reminds me of a funny story. Went to meet my brother on the bike one day. We bs'd for a while and when I left I did a huge burnout and then a nice long wheelie. The people passsing me thought I was crazy because there was a cop right behind me. Funny thing was, it was my brother. When I got home he called to let me know how impressive the bike was and don't do that again. LOL

owldaddy

LMAO!!!!!!! He wasn't a Riverbank cop was he? I mean back when they had their own police force, not the sheriff.

owldaddy

Oh I forgot to ask, is that was your Stang in the garage behind the Kawi?

Mart Man FZ6R

LMAO!!!!!!! He wasn't a Riverbank cop was he? I mean back when they had their own police force, not the sheriff.
No, he was a cop in Nevada City CA. I've only been in Riverbank for 7 mos.

Oh I forgot to ask, is that was your Stang in the garage behind the Kawi?.
Nope, it was the wifes. 2004 GT Convertible. Too slow for me. Mine was a 2003 Lightning behind the closed garage door. As you might figure, I like fast vehicles. The Lightning dyno'd 420 HP and 510 TQ at the wheels and was an absolute blast to drive.
Here's a shot of both in the driveway.

owldaddy

Oh, very nice. I have a 06 GT. with a few mods, I also have an 2000 F150. The truck is at the other end of the spectrum from yours, just a basic work truck. It gets the job done though. Nevada City....... I love that place, beautiful spot. Now that would make a nice ride, take 108 up to 49, then north till we hit Nevada City. Don't know that I could find the energy to get back home in the same day though, might have to spend a night at the Northern Queen.....:D

blackie65

The most fun ride for me at Daytona Bike week was the new Kawaski Z100. It is a rocket ship,upright rideing position,great suspension(fully adjustable),great brakes. This is a great step up for someone wanting more. List price I think is $10,495.

Mart Man FZ6R

The most fun ride for me at Daytona Bike week was the new Kawaski Z100. It is a rocket ship,upright rideing position,great suspension(fully adjustable),great brakes. This is a great step up for someone wanting more. List price I think is $10,495.
I'll tell you what. If I would have had $12000 instead of $6000 the Z1000 would be in my garage. I like the FZ1, but that Z1000 is just plain bad ass. I was hooked on the bike when I watched the vid of the urban assault tour they did with the bike and filmed the reviews people had after riding it. Here's a link.

Z1000 Urban Assault Tour

I have a clean driving record now, but it wouldn't stay that way long if I had that bike I bet. Wooooo Hooooooo

Last edited:

Mart Man FZ6R

Oh, very nice. I have a 06 GT. with a few mods, I also have an 2000 F150. The truck is at the other end of the spectrum from yours, just a basic work truck. It gets the job done though. Nevada City....... I love that place, beautiful spot. Now that would make a nice ride, take 108 up to 49, then north till we hit Nevada City. Don't know that I could find the energy to get back home in the same day though, might have to spend a night at the Northern Queen.....:D
That sounds like a good ride. I've ridden Hwy 49 between Auburn and Placerville a bunch of times, but never been on 49 south of Hwy 50. I bet 108to 49 to hwy 50 and then beck to 99 into Modesto would make a good day ride. How many miles to Hwy 50 once you get on 49?

arkkornkid

This isn't mine, but I had one just like it, and never should have sold it. Beautiful styling and great power. You just couldn't carve any corners with those tall narrow wheels.
1993 Suzuki VX800....... shaft drive FTW! ... if I could afford it, I'd track down another one and buy it.

Mart Man FZ6R

That is one beautiful bike! :thumbup:
Thanks. I'm really kicking myself in the ass for getting rid of that bike. I had a Vulcan Mean Streak 1500 that I got rid of to get this, then the wife wouldn't ride on it with me. She had a big mis-conception about these kinds of bikes thinking it would be uncomfortable to ride on. I ended up selling it to buy a 1600 Mean Streak so she would ride again. I eventually ended up with a 2007 FZ6. After my oldest daughter went for a ride around Lake Tahoe with me, she told my wife the bike was even more comfortable than the Harley Dyna Wide Glide I had. She finally decided to try a ride on the FZ, and she was hooked. All I heard was "can I take your bike to work, can I huh, can I" Of course I said no until she bought me a blue '07 FZ6 and she took the red one for herself. This was one of the worries I had about the FZ6R and the lower HP output since I knew I like the FZ6. Turns out I don't really feel like it's any slower in around town riding and the looks is a big +1 over the FZ6.

As much as I like the 6R, if I could have that ZRX1200 back in the same condition I had it, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Halon

I'll tell you what. If I would have had $12000 instead of $6000 the Z1000 would be in my garage. I like the FZ1, but that Z1000 is just plain bad ass. I was hooked on the bike when I watched the vid of the urban assault tour they did with the bike and filmed the reviews people had after riding it. Here's a link.

Z1000 Urban Assault Tour

I have a clean driving record now, but it wouldn't stay that way long if I had that bike I bet. Wooooo Hooooooo
yes, i wanted a z1000 as well but I just couldn't bring myself to go that much further into debt. But it is such a sexy bike, and all the reviews have been stellar.