Stepping up: What would it be?

JonKerr

Elite Member

joloy133

joloy133, which BMW are you considering?
The F 800 ST, although theres talk of bring back the S version with upgrades for 2011. Just about when I'll start looking, but I am happy with our bike as is. (The 2010 aprilia shiver is looking good or an updated 2011 tuono.)

Halon

That apirilla shiver looks amazing, I was considering an fz1 but I hear they're kinda soggy feeling in the suspension. I'm not sure I'm going to notice it either way though. I wanted the sv650 when I was first looking at bikes, and I'd LOVE a z1000 2010 model but they have bad range it seems like and I want a little more distance between fill ups.

owldaddy

The F800ST is a very nice bike. I was giving it serious thought before I bought the 6R. The ergonomics didn't fit me as well though, and the price meant I was going to have to trade in my R1150R, which I didn't want to do. They have had a couple issues with stalling, I don't think they know why, but it is a problem that has effected a couple friends I have who own F800's If your looking for some good info on that model check R1150R.net , and look up CycleRob. He loves his, is a retired motorcycle mechanic, has lots of good info on that model, and is sharp as a tack. One of the most helpful and knowledgeable guys out there. Mods are his specialty.

_serge

I would get myself one of these:

Ducati StreetFighter

or

Triumph Speed Triple

or

MV Agusta Brutale

or

KTM RC8

or

Honda CB1000R if they would sell then here

Bikegirl88

I will take my husband's zx14 next year when he buys something different.

That's the plan for now.

Detrich

i plan on keeping the 6r for a while... if i were to upgrade, i like the styling of the r6...

tractorboy

Wow, Surprised to see how many people looking to upgrade already. Bikes are only on their second production year and many reviews mentioned although its not a super duper sport bike...its no slouch either.

Then again...Its so predictable im sure many have gotten "used" to it and want something new. I plan on keeping for a while and when / if I do upgrade, want same ergonics, R6 and R1 to "over the tank" for me.

That FZ1 looks SWEET....that may be an option.

also want to pick up a cuiser to 2 up with the wife too. cant really have a passenger on the 6r.....

joloy133

There's the one first bike bought with many factors considered. Then when you sort it all out, there's the one you buy that stirs the soul. Totally happy with the FZ6R,........... so the second bike my not make the most sense but the dream bike usually doesn't. Just me.!!!!!!!!!

MikeN02

Wow, Surprised to see how many people looking to upgrade already. Bikes are only on their second production year and many reviews mentioned although its not a super duper sport bike...its no slouch either.

Then again...Its so predictable im sure many have gotten "used" to it and want something new. I plan on keeping for a while and when / if I do upgrade, want same ergonics, R6 and R1 to "over the tank" for me.

That FZ1 looks SWEET....that may be an option.

also want to pick up a cuiser to 2 up with the wife too. cant really have a passenger on the 6r.....
It's a "dream bike" of course... and many people who have bought the FZ6R is/are a beginner and haven't been through many bikes.

I'm going to upgrade at the begining of next year and have already decided on the R6! The only bad thing people have to say about the R6 is that is the most uncomfortable out of all the 600cc class! The R6 looks the best in my opinion, and it is a Yamaha! That is all that really matters to me! The only other 600 I would buy is the GSXR!
+1 but it's the best styling 600cc in my opinion. I think it may be the fastest... not sure, but like I mentioned it really is close in numbers with the ZX6-R.

Only thing I don't really like is the mirrors on the gixxer.

fz6rwolf

i would say fz8 if comes here or triumph tiger (though bit tall even though i'm 5'9")

Bigevildoer

Well, I moved from my FZ6R to my Buell 1125r. A huge step up in power and handling.
Is it probably a little much? Yes... will I ever use the Buell to it's capabilities? No.
The acceleration it has is simply scary when compared to the FZ6R. I can open the FZ6R all the way and it takes off nicely, but I'm not worried about wheelies or having the bike feel like I'm going to lose it...

The Buell, on the other hand, if I crack the throttle wide open will power wheelie without difficulty. If I don't hang on (literally have to squeeze the legs, lean forward and pray for dear life) the bike will zip out from under me and leave me on my ass on the pavement. So, in general, I don't crack it open...

The handling is exquisite though... a full on race suspension on a stock bike.. gotta love it... and to top it off, I paid $1500 less for it than I did for my FZ6R (due to discounts when Harley Davidson closed Buell down).

Mart Man FZ6R

I will take my husband's zx14 next year when he buys something different.

That's the plan for now.
FZ6R to a ZX14? That's a pretty huge jump. If you get a GREAT DEAL of riding under your belt maybe, but that's a whole lotta bike. I taught my wife to ride on a Shadow 750 Spirit and then moved her up to a FZ6. She did really good on both bikes, but I wouldn't dream of putting her on a modern litre+ bike until she's got a lot of miles and experience dealing with differnet situations (especially emergency ones) under her belt.

If you do make the step up, all I can say is be damn careful.

FZ6Raven

Well I was originally going to buy the 2010 R6 but I have now changed my mind. I am going with the 09 zx6r monster edition. Love the green and love the fact that you don't see too many of them around. The advantages with the zx6r monster edition that got me sucked in was the steering damper, the solo seat worth about $250 but also the fact that the R6 has no real bottom end power. Also I sat on both of them and the zx6r has got it beat when it comes to comfort.

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
FZ1..... but I am biased. ;)

Seriously, no matter what you jump to for higher performance, please be sure the throttle hand is securely connected to the contents of the helmet and said contents are in control!

MikeN02

Well I was originally going to buy the 2010 R6 but I have now changed my mind. I am going with the 09 zx6r monster edition. Love the green and love the fact that you don't see too many of them around. The advantages with the zx6r monster edition that got me sucked in was the steering damper, the solo seat worth about $250 but also the fact that the R6 has no real bottom end power. Also I sat on both of them and the zx6r has got it beat when it comes to comfort.
I've seen 2 or 3 ZX6R monster editions around here. One being a guy down my street. I'm not a big fan of the specific bike brand ie. monster, red bull, etc

My friend's normal 2009 ZX6R has a steering damper as well... so I think it's not just on the monster.

Halon

FZ1..... but I am biased. ;)

Seriously, no matter what you jump to for higher performance, please be sure the throttle hand is securely connected to the contents of the helmet and said contents are in control!
truth. That's partly why I feel i couldve started on a bigger bike even, with proper judgement and only driving it as hard as you are comfortable it seems like it would be fine. :-/