Starter not aligned?

jearnshaw

I had a small spill last night....nothing too major but I accidentally did a burnout at less then 10 mph and went down hard on the left side of the bike, everything seem fine expect a broken mirror and bent shift lever. Got home look over the bike again straighten out the lever and went to start the bike back up and notice the starter makes a very high pitch whine when it engages.

Is it possible I somehow whacked the starter out of of place and how would go about aligning it back up? Later on this afternoon I am removing the left side engine case and see if anything can be done. I need the bike running where as this is my only means of transportation. Thanks.

Well I am not sure what happen, I took off the cover and everything looked fine and placed the cover back on and the starter sounds normal now.

Careful!

That whine sound could be gears slightly touching at startup -as in teeth grinding at speed!

Get a local bike mech to have a proper look, if your gear lever was bent it may have shocked the internal gearing too.

Hope it works out to be something simple to correct

Back