Stands

just put the bike on the kickstand, stand on the kickstand side, and put the bike up vertical, walk around to the back and steady it with your hand on the tail section. Use other hand to line up the rearstand and push it down. done.. If I can do it after 20 laps on my r1, you should be able to do it after a ride around town.

heh, that is a lot of work to put it up on stands. I have no second thoughts when I do it, its just normal now. I took the kickstand off my r1 at one point, so I had to get off and hold it up while i walked around and grabbed the stand. that was hard to do after a lot of laps.

OK, went down to HF for some other bits... I had intended only to pick up the steel-tube type stand from HF for $39, but I ended up with this:
- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Since I wasn't too sure about the whole spool thing yet, I got these as well to convert to a swingarm stand, for $7:

The best part was that the M/C stand is on sale right now (in-store only), for the same $39 as the black, steel tubed variety. I also added a 20% off coupon I had; bam! Done. :)

OK, went down to HF for some other bits... I had intended only to pick up the steel-tube type stand from HF for $39, but I ended up with this:

Since I wasn't too sure about the whole spool thing yet, I got these as well to convert to a swingarm stand, for $7:

The best part was that the M/C stand is on sale right now (in-store only), for the same $39 as the black, steel tubed variety. I also added a 20% off coupon I had; bam! Done. :)

Did you try it yet? I thought someone on here bought that one but it was too low and didn't reach the swing arm.

Ah, no, actually... brought it home; left it in the garage.

Gee, I hope it'll work. I can't get my 20% coupon back! :(

I called my HF in Florida and the dumb receptionist lady didn't have a clue what my item was. So I gave them the UPC code online and she said no, we don't have any.

I was forced to order mine online and I couldn't find any coupon codes online either...

I called my HF in Florida and the dumb receptionist lady didn't have a clue what my item was. So I gave them the UPC code online and she said no, we don't have any.

I was forced to order mine online and I couldn't find any coupon codes online either...

Mike--which stand did you end up getting from HF?

The rear swing arm stand that most people got. I looked on ebay and some were selling both front and rear for about $80 but decided that I only needed the rear at the moment.

Plus I didn't really trust those stands, sure free shipping but they didn't really have a name on the stand, just metal.

Did you try it yet? I thought someone on here bought that one but it was too low and didn't reach the swing arm.

:(

You're right. Mostly.

With the paddle adapters flipped upside down, it reached ok. Thought it was great and all... till I tried to lower the bike. The stand jammed.

Essentially, the paddle adapters are too damn long, and the right side got jammed between the wheel and the swingarm. 15 expletive-laden minutes later, I freed the whole shebang, but not before discovering some nasty gouges in the inside of the wheel. Cosmetic, to be sure, and in an area that's way hidden, but it's one of those things where YOU KNOW it's there. Meh.

The width of the aluminum stand is fine and if I actually had spools, it'd be A-OK.

I'll be returning this whole getup and getting the regular steel one folks here have gotten.

One question though--that steel HF stand--does it already come with the swingarm holders? The vinyl-coated arms, I mean. When I first got to HF this past weekend, the guy there said those arms were sold separately; he and I "debated" that point for a bit before I found this aluminum one... It's included, right?

Long story short--unless you have spools, don't get the paddle adapters w/ this aluminum HF swingarm stand!

So, back on this steel, HF stand (Mike02 linked it earlier in the post): do the vinyl-coated arms require any modification? Another poster mentioned needing to take 1" off each side... I'm rather wary of modifying any other stand stuff, and I REAAAALY don't want to drill for spools...

So, back on this steel, HF stand (Mike02 linked it earlier in the post): do the vinyl-coated arms require any modification? Another poster mentioned needing to take 1" off each side... I'm rather wary of modifying any other stand stuff, and I REAAAALY don't want to drill for spools...

Yeah, I don't want to drill for spools either. I think I might mess up and go all over the place and screw up the bike. I think I'm planning on using the HF Swing Arm stand, I think it should work..

You guys don't have to drill a single hole to have spools!! I didn't do any drilling for mine. They simply attach using the axle bolt. Piece of cake and reliable. However, with these spools you can't take the back wheel off. Not a problem for me, though. :thumbup:

Check out my thread about the spools!
http://www.600cc.org/forum/f89/swingarm-spools-16104/

You guys don't have to drill a single hole to have spools!! I didn't do any drilling for mine. They simply attach using the axle bolt. Piece of cake and reliable. However, with these spools you can't take the back wheel off. Not a problem for me, though. :thumbup:

Check out my thread about the spools!
http://www.600cc.org/forum/f89/swingarm-spools-16104/

Robert, with those spools, could you still adjust your chain tension? (I mean have you found a way to do it that works?)

In theory, I believe you would be able to adjust chain tension. I have not had to do it yet, so I can't be one 100% certain. All the times I have cleaned and lubed the chain, it has always been within the recommended slack dimensions.

If you needed to adjust the chain, I would imagine that you could just slightly loosen the axle nut and put the bike on the stand. Then you could use the small nuts for making the adjustment and tighten the axle nut back down. :don'tknow:

I guess that is why I bought the Pit Posse stand that allows for both spool or swingarm lifting. But I do like using the spools better. They are so much easier to line everything up and lift the bike with a lot less force.

The steel HF stand comes with the rear arms, no modification required because their adjustable in-out. You do have to buy the front fork adapters if you want it for the front. They are about $10. I have them, but have yet to use them.

Are the flanges on the arms wide enough (in the U-channel) to cradle the swingarm? I'm worried that it might not be wide enough... I understand that the arms are adjustable in terms of width by sliding them laterally on the swingarm stand, but wondered about the arms themselves.

Are the flanges on the arms wide enough (in the U-channel) to cradle the swingarm? I'm worried that it might not be wide enough... I understand that the arms are adjustable in terms of width by sliding them laterally on the swingarm stand, but wondered about the arms themselves.

The 'plates' that the swing arm sit on are about 2 inches by 2 inches. With the swing arm sitting on them, there is about 1/2-3/4 of play. It doesn't cradle the swing arms completely, but works just find. I have no issues with it.

Thanks!

Perfect; returned the alumium one & got the steel stand from HF (as everyone recommended in the first place!). Stand works great. I like the fact that the vinyl-coated arms swivel as you rotate the stand into place. The adapters for the aluminum stand were fixed, so even the two times I was able to use the aluminum stand, the vinyl already wore off!

I will say though, that the effort required on the alumimum stand was a LOT less than this steel one. It seems as though I have far less leverage with this steel piece. Still, for $30, I'm good. :)

Thanks again all!

Thanks!

Perfect; returned the alumium one & got the steel stand from HF (as everyone recommended in the first place!). Stand works great. I like the fact that the vinyl-coated arms swivel as you rotate the stand into place. The adapters for the aluminum stand were fixed, so even the two times I was able to use the aluminum stand, the vinyl already wore off!

I will say though, that the effort required on the alumimum stand was a LOT less than this steel one. It seems as though I have far less leverage with this steel piece. Still, for $30, I'm good. :)

Thanks again all!

No prob. As for the effort part, like we've talked about before, put a block under the kickstand to straighten the bike some before lifting with the stand. Makes it easier.

Back