Sport-Touring project for the 2009 FZ6R

I wouldn't even consider touring on this bike. Even with all that stuff.

I've never owned more than one bike at a time, so I would rather tour on the one bike I own than not tour at all.

Touring on a motorcycle is not even remotely practical. And that's what I enjoy about motorcycle touring. It's about being exposed to the elements, it's about striking up interesting conversations with curious strangers, it's about the detours you take while on a bike that you wouldn't bother taking while in a car.

I rode a '72 Suzuki T250 two-stroke street bike from Toronto to Cape Breton. I'm planning on taking my FZ6R to the following places in the next couple of years:

Cape Breton
California
British Columbia
Key West
Mexico
Route 66

These trips are going to be a piece of cake on a modern bike like the FZ6R. The FZ6R is a bar riser and a new saddle away from being an adequately comfortable tourer.

Of course it's not the best bike for touring. But it is a great bike for most of the types of riding I do, most of the time.

Quick question for you...
Can a passenger still fit on the pillion with the topcase and not be hunched over? It seems that a passenger could fit and be even more comfortable with the topcase acting as a light backrest as long as the topcase is not intruding on the seat area. Just curious. After a few years, my wife has actually expressed interest in riding as a passenger, but I know that without some sort of backrest, the FZ6R is a little cramped.

this thread is pretty cool , i pick up my white fz6r tue, i might leave the stickers on the farings not sure yet. but i will need a stand i see you bought one does it attached to the bike or does just jack the bike up, also has anybody bought spools for the swingarm or can you just buy the old style stand with the L shaped brackets to lift the rear end.

I have a pitbull stand that accomodates "L" on the swingarms and spools. I have no plans on putting spools on this bike and the stand works great without them.
I do not have the center stand on the bike, but it is does attach and works well as I understand it. I just carry a "Wheel Jockey" if I am going on a trip over 700 miles.

I have to ask...
How did you get the four bolts off under the pillion seat?? I do not have fancy tools so I was just using the allen key, but man...I could not budge them. I am going to have to take the mount and bike into my local service center and have them put the top case mount on. I recognize that there is not that much room for leverage to loosen the bolts, but they are in there crazy tight. Any other suggestion?

Here is cargo setup. V35s on the side. Did the smaller top case, Monolock E350 as it would do a full helmet and have room for other small items but not so big that it overpowerd the bike when it was on alone without the side casaes. Love it.

Attachments

• 34149_1494903848135_1100222796_31420031_7123759_n.jpg
    34149_1494903848135_1100222796_31420031_7123759_n.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
I have to ask...
How did you get the four bolts off under the pillion seat?? I do not have fancy tools so I was just using the allen key, but man...I could not budge them. I am going to have to take the mount and bike into my local service center and have them put the top case mount on. I recognize that there is not that much room for leverage to loosen the bolts, but they are in there crazy tight. Any other suggestion?

Head down to the hardware store and invest in a complete socket kit with allen key sockets. You are going to end up using this kit over and over again and a decent one will last your lifetime. Even a crappy one will get the job done.

If you don't want to buy a socket set, then take a regular adjustable crescent wrench and use it on the end of the allen key that you would normally grab with your hand. You'll have plenty of torque.

Well here it is...
My bike with the new Givi V46 Topcase, Cortech Saddlebags and the Double Bubble windscreen. I already had a rear stand, but I agree with those who have put the center stand on that it is a better option. That may be my next add on. Happy touring ahead!!

Here is cargo setup. V35s on the side. Did the smaller top case, Monolock E350 as it would do a full helmet and have room for other small items but not so big that it overpowerd the bike when it was on alone without the side casaes. Love it.

This is such an amazing picture Todd. Love it! Where was it taken?

Last edited:

Amirw. I tried the Yamaha double windscreen. For me I couldn't tell any difference from the stock one. It sits on the bench. I replaced it with a Cee Bailey's 22" which I cut down customized for my preferences. Stock the CB 22" screen shakes too much on the freeway. The trick is to cut it only enough to break the wind but still not shake excessively on the freeway.

Back