Southern Cal stupidity and the Angeles Crest highway

While im sure there are a lot very beautiful routes in VA im not sure your going to find one like this. Its really long and the road was always in great shape, mainly because its not getting pelted by rain and sleet all year :)
Honestly this road takes as long to ride as it does to cross VA if im not mistaken :) if you ever make it out here at least rent a bike and drive it!

I live about a half hour away but Detrich lives right there. Detrich how long does it take to get all the way across from the 210 across to say pearblossom / 138 on ACH? I could swear we were riding at least an hour and hadn't even hit newcombs ranch yet but I wasn't watching the clock. And while we are at it how long if you break off at big tujuna off ACH how long is that ride until you get back into town over by the 210? How about upper big tujuna and the angeles forest highway (just checking out the map here) wish I lived over there lol

Believe it or not, I've never ridden through from La Canada (210) up ACH (2) all the way to Crestline (138). It's about 200+ miles round trip. But, I've heard it's a good 1.5 to 2+ hours to Wrightwood, depending on ur pace. Wrightwood to 138 is prolly another 45 minutes or so? It's pretty much a leave 9am, break for lunch, and get back after 3pm excursion, if u do the round trip I think. I'm not really into all day riding anymore so I haven't done it.

La Canada to Upper Big Tajunga Canyon Road junction is about 30 minutes roughly. UBTCR back down to the 210 depends if u go ACH or AFH after u get to the fork. AFH takes u down to Sunland, ACH to La Canada. I've done both and think they take about the same amount of time- ie roughly 30 minutes. AFH is a little further bcuz it drops u further west in Sunland. But less cars on AFH and u can go much faster. Just that bcuz it's so far west the ride home is an extra 15 min on the freeway.

If u take UBTCR north towards the 14- ie what we call 9 mile to the "tree," (which they've cut down), u can hit Sand Canyon, or go north to Santa Clarita, and then either take the 14S to the 5S to the 210E, which is hella far. Or, u can hit Little Tujunga Canyon Road and get back to Osborne Ave, just west of Sunland. Little Tujunga Canyon Road is similar to GMR- ie VERY technical and more narrow. So, I always go aay slow on that, as Ive seem many ppl go down there riding too fast. Cambered hairpin turns like GMR where u cannot see the exit of the turn. I needs more practice on that road tho. LOL. :)

thanks

Believe it or not, I've never ridden through from La Canada (210) up ACH (2) all the way to Crestline (138). It's about 200+ miles round trip. But, I've heard it's a good 1.5 to 2+ hours to Wrightwood, depending on ur pace. Wrightwood to 138 is prolly another 45 minutes or so? It's pretty much a leave 9am, break for lunch, and get back after 3pm excursion, if u do the round trip I think. I'm not really into all day riding anymore so I haven't done it.

La Canada to Upper Big Tajunga Canyon Road junction is about 30 minutes roughly. UBTCR back down to the 210 depends if u go ACH or AFH after u get to the fork. AFH takes u down to Sunland, ACH to La Canada. I've done both and think they take about the same amount of time- ie roughly 30 minutes. AFH is a little further bcuz it drops u further west in Sunland. But less cars on AFH and u can go much faster. Just that bcuz it's so far west the ride home is an extra 15 min on the freeway.

If u take UBTCR north towards the 14- ie what we call 9 mile to the "tree," (which they've cut down), u can hit Sand Canyon, or go north to Santa Clarita, and then either take the 14S to the 5S to the 210E, which is hella far. Or, u can hit Little Tujunga Canyon Road and get back to Osborne Ave, just west of Sunland. Little Tujunga Canyon Road is similar to GMR- ie VERY technical and more narrow. So, I always go aay slow on that, as Ive seem many ppl go down there riding too fast. Cambered hairpin turns like GMR where u cannot see the exit of the turn. I needs more practice on that road tho. LOL. :)

Thanks for all the info, Im the valley so I can come out really anywhere even on the 14 side and be home in 20-30. Im going to try Tujunga next time to AFH. If I have the time id really like to try and ride all the way through to wrightwood but like you said its an all day thing. Ill keep my eye out for Blue yamahas!

Back