Scooters... no not for me.

JonKerr

Elite Member
We have a HUGE zuma following here in minnesota, with ZUMA rides going on weekly. Its the most bullet proof and reliable scooter you can buy. They can be pounded on, wheelied on, modded out to no end, and still just as bullet proof if not more bulletproof then our bikes. It tops out at about 45-55mph unless modded but can get up to 100mph from videos of my friends and mods they have performed

My girlfriend has a Vespa, it's an Italian made scooter, QUALITY QUALITY QUALITY. plus it would appeal to your wife's friends taste I am sure. I ride it from time to time and it is very well made it is IMO the best scooter on the market hands down! It's atleast worth a look for her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Casey (aka) Hunter77!

Go with a yamaha scooter. Consider the 50cc Zuma. Fuel-injected and hassle free. Gets over 100MPG and doesn't have to license it. (at least in MO). Also doesn't need insurance but I strongly suggest adding small coverage anyway. Super cheap on a 50cc. The 50cc scoot should go around 35mph and are super easy to ride. They also have plenty of storage under the seat.

The Zuma 50f is the Fuel-injected. It's a new model.

Yamaha also has the Vino classic for about the same price if she likes that styling. However, it is carbed and not injected so starting may be a pain on cold days.

And hunter is correct, Vespa's are THE BEST but a little more pricy.

The cinese scooters are cheap new (under 700 all over ebay) but you have to be competent with repairs to keep them going. I always doing little fixes and rigs on my GF's scooter. I also had a 150cc china scoot. Constant tweaking and repairs keep them going. If she is capable of that go for a ebay scoot. I rode my 150 for a solid year before getting my fz1. I'll be taking my GF's pink 50cc for my next and last year of college.

After having both a 150 and a 50, I can confortably say the 50cc is ideal for most uses. The 150 is still too slow for highway speeds and heavier for driving around town. The 50 is super light and sips gas. Both have about the same amount of storage space. Insurance is less if it's required where she lives.

Last edited:
While I don't own one, I always read that Vespa's are good!

However, I do not like Scooters, lol ... he or she may be better with a Ninja or Honda 250, or maybe a used Buell Blast, the small ones.

While I don't own one, I always read that Vespa's are good!

However, I do not like Scooters, lol ... he or she may be better with a Ninja or Honda 250, or maybe a used Buell Blast, the small ones.

For riding around town, a scooter is much better suited. And it's a woman so she can close her legs if she must ride in a dress or something. Don't knock scooters till you try em!

I've rode motorcycles in Indonesia, Philippines and China.
They ride 125cc step through frame automatics. For around town and in crowded driving at low speeds you can't beat them, A R1 or a Harley won't work in Asia. Too big and too fast. The little bikes will zip past them all day long.

No one rides a scooter...tires are too small....potholes eat a small tire.
A used Honda is the only thing you can get here that is close. They have 16" tires so they handle the rough pavement and potholes fine and at 150cc it has enough power to keep up with traffic.

2010 Honda SH150i Review - Motorcycle.com

There are some off brands that are available tho with 16" tires. Cheap too.

150cc scooter, Znen gas scooter, Znen scooters, Znen 150cc scooters, Znen 50cc scooters, Znen classic scooters, Znen retro scooters

CF-Moto scooters including the CF Moto V5, V3, Fashion and E-Charm found at valley scooters

The Honda ruckus is good but has a carb, which for a scooter is not that bad. If the fuel pump goes out on a fi scooter, its about $200 just for parts.

for wife got a left over 2009 aprilia scarabeo 200 and its great around town and carries my 240lbs right down the freeway too....less than $3000 otd new. Very well made and I like the big wheels.

I have not owned one,but have worked on a few. If she wants reliabilty stay away from the cheap Chinese ones. Honda,Yamaha and the like are very good if cared for. The main problem is people let them set all winter. You have to care for the gas and battery just like anything else.

You can't go wrong with a razor.

Edit: I would recommend a rear wheelie bar.

Attachments

• aaaascooter.jpg
    aaaascooter.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 6
I forgot cost, down hear in the south things tend to run cheaper, Vespas go from $4500-6000. They are more expensive but they are really well made! Well I wish her the best in her search and hope she finds something to suit her needs. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Casey (aka) Hunter77!

aprilia sr 50r!!! I bought one, after the break in period it would do 55 mph. I had it remapped and derestricted after its first service and it did 62 mph. It is a 2 stroke 49cc scooter. I loved it!!!

Back