Riding with no gear.

Spunky99

On occasion, I have ridden to the grocery store in tennis shoes, shorts and tee shirt. I justify it by saying it is 3 blocks on residential streets and I putted slowly.....BUT I did wear gloves, helmet and the most important piece of riding gear.......the helmet mounted video cam...I will not ride without a video cam...period......

Benny BMW.avi - YouTube

Invader Jim

Smart defensive riding is more important than gear in my opinion. Add gear to smart defensive riding and that is even better. Gear is primarily to prevent/reduce road rash other than the helmet which can reduce the possibility of skull fracture. There are plenty of ways to die from recklessness and/or stupidity regardless of what you wear.

CrazyCawi

On occasion, I have ridden to the grocery store in tennis shoes, shorts and tee shirt. I justify it by saying it is 3 blocks on residential streets and I putted slowly.....BUT I did wear gloves, helmet and the most important piece of riding gear.......the helmet mounted video cam...I will not ride without a video cam...period......

Benny BMW.avi - YouTube
spunky you get into some interesting situations lol

Spunky99

spunky you get into some interesting situations lol
My racing nickname was "Crash and Burn".....
BTW that minor fall over at the end cost me a broken L2 and it hurts like heck today.....I hope the wife leaves me alone for a couple of days....sheesh!

SpawnXX

Premium Member

redprodigy35

To be honest I've ridden maybe 25 miles altogether without gear (jacket and boots) since I've gotten the bike.

It does feel good-- the wind A/C effect and all, and I do feel more nimble. I'm convinced I can get my arms looser.

But I don't do it often, and when I do it doesn't feel right. For example, the simplest thing leaving the house... I get on, ignition, let her warm up, and pull the clutch to go into 1st... It already doesn't feel right. My hands are just trained with muscle memory or something to have the gloves on from day one when operating my clutch. Also shifting in sneakers when you normally shift with boots feels spongy. I kinda forced this behavior because I should have that check that there is a funny feeling for a reason-- it's not right.

To each his own though-- the consequences are laid out plain and simple. To say that they are unforgiving would be an gross understatement.

CDN6R

Years ago,, I rode through Maine/Vermont/New Hampshire on my then new RZ 350. At the time I believe there were no helmet laws in those States because I was definitally in the minority wearing, a helmet,,jacket,,gloves etc. My buddy who was with me sugggested we remove our helmets and "fit in" so to speak,,and I said,"I,m not if you want to go ahead". He didn't remove his helmet because I would not remove mine and he was a bit P.O.'d about that. I thought so what I am going to be safe.

Spunky99

I live within a mile or so from the Beach. Redondo Beach (Beach Boys) Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach are all within 1.5 miles. I have Venice, Santa Monica and Malibu and the rest within 10 miles. When I look around I see lots of sportbikes wearing tee shirt, shorts and sandals. Cruisers all wear tee shirt, jeans and tennis shoes or boots. So it is really hard to justify putting on ATGATT when 80% of the other riders don't when cruising along the beach. It certainly is nice to go as naked as possible and wear a open face helmet if you are only riding at 25 mph at the beach on a hot sunny day. People ride bicycles that way, why not do it on a bike? I had an electric bicycle that did 28 mph and the brakes were for $hit and I rode it all the time at the beach. I inline skate on CF racing skates with 5 wheels each and no brakes at 20 to 25 mph and always wear wrist elbow and knee pads because I've gone down and know better.

It's the getting to and from the beach that will kill you or turn you into a plate of raw ground beef but people here do it all the time. I wear a mesh jacket and pants with board shorts underneath so I can take it off when I get to the beach. I bring sandals so I can take off the boots and it all fits in a smallish backpack I wear. I just refuse to ride without gear except occasionally the 3 blocks to the market on residential streets. I've done that 3 times in the last 2 years......

Fulkon

I have a friend who was riding with shorts and a t-shirt. He was on a quick 10 min trip and had stopped at a stop light. when he started again he lost control on some gravel in the intersection and dropped his bike. He was going maybe 10 miles an hour. Because he was wearing shorts he scraped up his knees and got small bits of gravel in his knee. Had he have been wearing jeans he probably wouldn't have injured himself.

Chevyfazer

Something to think about to promote ATGATT...

It's a fact that most accidents happen less then 5 miles from home. In other words on those short trips where you say oh I'll be fine I'm just going right down the road....

buzzbomb

Elite Member

danieljardim

Not to belabor the obvious, but the thing with accidents is you can't see them coming. The thing with motorcycles is that there's no such thing as a "fender-bender."

If I was to go two miles down the road, and get sideswiped by a vehicle, it's no different than if I was touring two states over.

Touring two states over, people generally gear up for it. Two miles down the street? The accident doesn't care how far you are from home. I used to ride Harley style. I learned my lesson going down in the mountains of Northern Georgia.

It doesn't really matter how far away your going. You may think yourself safe, but Murphy doesn't care. Accidents are called accidents because they're unforseen.

Let me put it this way... Anyone who has gone down while riding without full gear on, and not gotten hurt, please raise your hand. OK. Now, if you don't think you are the luckiest bastard on the planet? Anyone?
I know is really dangerous and that's why I dont think I would do it again. But it was REALLY good.

bladerunner09

I used to be a 50% helmet wearer. Then I saw my brother go down in front of me. He's fine but his gear saved him. FYI it wasn't his fault. Anything more than just a block or two my gear goes on.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

Bert-Aus

Yeah yeah:mikebike:, know the feeling but nowadays try to ATGATT!

Gotto admit those memories of banging around on 125's in Thailand & Indo with nothing on in that humidity are timeless,
so when I see peeps doin that now I try to hold back my gut reaction of judgemental ATGATT:spank:

All I can say is thanx for not learning the hard way ..yet/ so far