Retro Fit kit

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

cavcuz05

anyone else get theirs installed yet? would like to see the progress

qnoisx

Oh well right now I'm waiting on the other shroud to come in. Should be tomorrow hopefully. Btw, how did you guys wire up your ccfls? I'm thinking I should run one wire from the battery and split it off from there. Too bad I can't hook into the wiring for the hid. That would cleaner. I have a few inverters, plan to hide them inside the headlight, behind the reflector. Have to remember to glue them down do it doesn't rattle around and break.

Anyways, I'll try to remember to take some pictures when I start putting it together.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

qnoisx

Yeah, the inverter they sent looks like it supports 2 ccfls. The dual ccfl fan came with an inverter the runs both of them. Even the 80mm ccfl fan came with a dual inverter. I guess it's just standard practice. I've been doing some research and probably won't hide the inverters inside the headlight now. If the inverter fails, I would have to take the whole thing apart again to replace it. So I guess I'll find a new place. Would be nice if I had one that could power more than 2 lights. Well, depends if I can even get the small ring to fit inside the gem. It's just a bit too big. I'm going to try to remove the plastic casing to make it smaller. That is if I don't break it in the process.

linkgt

I really would like to do this mod sometime. No group buys in the near future?

Last edited:

qnoisx

You might be able to start one up, drum up interest. Maybe start a new thread and link to the results of this one. I think you can link to single posts.

I'm still working on mine. Had a lot of setbacks. Just FYI, those cold cathode tubes don't bend...even a little bit. The small one that fits around the motor of a 120mm fan will not fit inside the gem above the headlight. So yeah, trying out an led strip instead. Even that was a problem since I wanted a 3 led strip and after I ordered SVC called and said they were out. So they sent me a 5 led strip instead. Think I have it working now. If work wasn't beating me up with 12-14 hour days, I'd be done already. If nothing else goes wrong I should be done this week... Well my sister is visiting, but maybe I'll get done anyway. Sorry for the lack of progress on my part.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

TRSNate

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to clarify that the GB is no longer going on. However we are more than happy to offer free shipping to all forum members. Also if you give us a call (614-653-3451) to order the kit we can get you an additional 5% off.

So free shipping and 5% off for forum members! Also post your pictures for those that have completed the retro already!

Last edited by a moderator:

qnoisx

Well I make a mess every time I use that silicon, but making progress. Here's a preview! I wanted to finish up tonight, but have to be at work at 3am. So it's bed time.

preview.jpg

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member
Last edited:

qnoisx

Thanks! Looks kinda like the leds in the gem are a bit dark compared to the blue cold cathode in the reflector, but nothing I can do about that. It glows blue way better than I thought it would from testing it. Doubt I can run the cathodes all the time like I thought I could. Might wait till I have the headlight running also to decide. Okay, time for work.

qnoisx

Thanks, linkgt and Nate.

The blue light is a cold cathode tube from an 80mm fan. I was originally going to light up the gem with a tiny cold cathode as well. You can get them from 120mm dual light fans, but it was too big and I broke it attempting to force it. I did take pictures of the whole process. Going to post them when I get finished.

Right now I'm just working on getting the headlight secured and aimed correctly. At the moment it vibrates pretty badly, going to have to do something different. Need to go read up on what the other guys did...

Btw, anyone know where I can get another connector for the inverter they sent for the Angel Eye CCFL? It came with 2 connecters, but I'm using 2 CCFLs, so I need an extra one. Can't find anywhere to order extras on their website, like where I ordered extra shrouds to test.

Last edited:

Chaphil3

qnoisx thats pretty tight! Do you have 2 halos or is the smaller one I'm seeing just a reflection in the projector?

I had the shakes pretty bad too. The solution was lots and lots of sealant. It absorbs the vibration. I could actually probably use a little more than what I did but I'll prob leave it alone unless I go back in to paint the shroud. I wanted to body match my shroud originally but didn't want to pay for the $80 color matched paint lol

I think you can just email nate about the inverter. I think I had one go out on my car before and to replace it I had to ask bc it wasnt listed. But that was a while ago

qnoisx

Thanks, Chaphil. Yeah, the halo is just reflecting off the lens. Dunno if it'll do that when the headlight is on. So far I've just hooked up the extra lights on my test battery, not on the bike. I need to run a wire back to the battery for them since the harness didn't include any accessory lighting connections. I should probably use a switch with them as well...don't want a ticket.

After reading through the thread and DIY again, I spread silicon all around the bottom of the crush washer before re-installing it. Seems to help. It was vibrating a good bit just idling while I was making sure the aim was right the first time. I also cut the tab off the alignment circle and included it as well the second time. The bulb wasn't seated correctly before, almost broke it taking it out. Scary.

The headlight is now assembled. It's sitting on my work table, waiting on the sealant to harden up. Probably wait till tomorrow to give it plenty of time. Or at least tonight, kinda want to get done.