Reflective stickers

jgelack

I'd like to add some visibility to my bike for night riding. I just picked up some CustomTaylor rim tape and would like to add some black reflective tape to the bikes frame. I'm also looking for some reflective stickers for my helmet. Can anyone recommend a good source for these?

Last edited:

Macklinator

Those rim strips are awesome! Just make sure you clean the rim well before putting them on and you'll be golden. The same guy does an almost pin strip sort of reflective strips. I'm going to buy them, and Tron my bike out. :D

Emma

I know that lights are a viable option, and they can be purchased pretty cheap.

However, I would check with your local law enforcement about this.

Where I live, it is illegal to use any color other than the same colors as the lights that come with the bike for normal operation. Lights and reflective tapes on the bike itself.

On yourself, we have more leeway.

Someone I work with at my job is a Police officer and I am always consulting him about this kind of stuff.

Macklinator

As always, check with the local authorities. I was driving down the street and saw three police bikes parked outside a building so parked and went inside. They were very confused when I asked to talk to a bike cop, they couldn't process that I wasn't in trouble, I wasn't disgruntled, I just wanted to talk to one of them. lol
He turned out to be very helpful, showed me around their bikes, and let me know a few things about the laws for my particular area, TX.
Cars are limited to four lights on the front of their car, where bikes there is no limit, thought that pretty funny. Lights have to be amber or red out the front, amber or red out the back, same for reflective stickers, although I believe you could have white reflective on the back also (the cops had black reflective that reflects white with light). He also told me that the body light kits, while technically maybe illegal (grey area), they most likely wouldn't pull me over for it. So, light up, reflector up, and make sure you're seen. I'm lucky to have a yellow bike, so tempted to just reflector tape it all over with yellow tape. It would be legal to do so, and none could miss me then at night. :)

skarface79

custom taylor

i got some black reflective tape strips from custom taylor for my bike and helmet, really un noticeable during the day but nice and reflective at night, i also went with the rim tapes

jgelack

i got some black reflective tape strips from custom taylor for my bike and helmet, really un noticeable during the day but nice and reflective at night, i also went with the rim tapes
That is the same tape I was looking at from Custom Taylor. So the black tape isn't very noticeable in the daytime? I really like it to blend in with the bike in the day. My only concern was I noticed on their website they say the black tape is less reflective than some of their other colors. How well does it light up at night? I also have their rim tape and a couple of the helmet stickers. LOVE Custom Taylor!

skarface79

custom taylor

yeah man if you look at my bike closely i have some of the black reflective tape on the tire hugger as well as the side fairings, you really cant see them at night but they are reflective at night, ill post a pic of the bikes relection at night later

jgelack

yeah man if you look at my bike closely i have some of the black reflective tape on the tire hugger as well as the side fairings, you really cant see them at night but they are reflective at night, ill post a pic of the bikes relection at night later
Thanks for posting. You can't really see it on your bike in the daylight , that's what I was hoping for. Looks like I will be placing a order for it with Custom Taylor. Thanks again!

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member