Rear foot brake lever adjustment not holding?

sti491

I needed to make some adjustments to my shifter peg and rear brake to get them where I like because I have big feet/long legs.

I needed to adjust my foot brake lever so it was higher. I adjusted it enough I needed to also adjust the brake light actuator. I use my rear brake some, but not a lot, favoring the more significant weight shift strength of the front. Emergency braking I grab a bunch of both! I lightly use the rear brake mostly for slow speed maneuvering.

My favored adjustment is getting near the end of the higher setting (I think). It's great just after I set it. But eventually, I am pushing it too far down again for my liking. It is not brake fade. I only street ride and no way I am getting that rear disc very hot.

Anyone else have an issue with the rear brake not holding it's adjustment?

MrFrzZ

Does the pedal seem to "reset" itself each time you ride? Or do you have to re-adjust after each trip??

sti491

I'm beginning to think it's my imagination. Not every trip. But when I set it higher than probably most riders would so I have a nice firm pedal with little play type of feel, ride a couple times, it just feels lower(?). The adjustment nut looks like it was where it was when I raised it, but I didn't index it so it's hard to say.

I have only readjusted it twice. It doesn't reset itself. It just seems lower than where it was. To me, lower feels spongier, but I have no reason to think there is air in the system, although that may be a possibility.

sti491

Does the pedal seem to "reset" itself each time you ride? Or do you have to re-adjust after each trip??

Where do you live in SC... I'm in High Point NC.

Regards Neighbor! Rob

MrFrzZ

The temp has been all over the place recently, but If you've found an air pocket, I'd imagine it would be a night and day difference rather than a slightly different feel. Do you have stainless lines or the OE rubber lines? If you havent made the switch to stainless yet, I highly recommend it. I put my front on about 3 weeks ago, and just did the rear this weekend. i went from pushing my foot down to more or less just depressing using more toe pressure and feeling a very positive feedback.

Im in Spartanburg ,SC. Just rode up to Tryon this past weekend with the wife.

sti491

I still have OEM rubber lines. Will go to SS eventually. That may be what I am feeling. Just did a radial master cylinder and SS lines on my son's 2000 SV650. OMG you wouldn't believe the gunk in his system.. Horrible.. He just bought the bike a few months ago. We were guessing the fluid had never been changed.

MrFrzZ

I think I'm going to try to swap in a brembo 17rcs mc onto me next since it's eventually going to be a track tool as long as this summer goes alright lol. In all honesty, for the money invested, I think Stainless lines are one of the most beneficial upgrades for this machine.

New rear sets, racetech suspension, and brakes, and I think I'll be content with it until I'm using up all the available power. Then I may look into a r6 or something else. For now the fizzer has a lot to teach me.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

sti491

Thanks guys