R6 Calipers

mjv21

Hey Guys,
Would an older R6 Caliper fit our bikes? I was talking to my local shop about swapping the master cylinder and the lines and he said by far the week point was the Calipers. He suggested that a late 90's- mid 2000's caliper set off an R6 would bolt up to the bike pretty nicely and would result in a huge performance gain in braking. Has anyone done this or does anyone know if this would work?

Just_Jim

I thought about it - the front brakes on my 2005 R6 really spoiled me. I found that the 03-04 R6 or 06-09 R6S used the same size rotors and the calipers should bolt right on the FZ6R. To do it right, you'd also need the R6 master cylinder.

I decided against doing it when I figured out the cost of all the parts. Instead, I added steel-braided lines and HH-rated brake pads. It doesn't stop like an R6, but it's not bad.

mjv21

I thought about it - the front brakes on my 2005 R6 really spoiled me. I found that the 03-04 R6 or 06-09 R6S used the same size rotors and the calipers should bolt right on the FZ6R. To do it right, you'd also need the R6 master cylinder.

I decided against doing it when I figured out the cost of all the parts. Instead, I added steel-braided lines and HH-rated brake pads. It doesn't stop like an R6, but it's not bad.
I managed to pick up the master cylinder with lever and calipers for 80 bucks shipped. I'll probably go stainless on top of this as well but yeah that should do the trick.

mjv21

Are you sure about the R6 calipers from that year? Its looking like the spacing of the mounting bolts is 10cm on the R6's and 8.5cm on the FZ6R

Just_Jim

IDK. I didn't look into much once I saw what it was going to cost.