Question for you guys.

iSpoolin

Ok so, i'm trying to make a decision and it's definitely one of the hardest ones i've had to make :laugh:

I've been recently talking to my girl about her riding solo, and she decided she just really doesn't think riding solo is for her. (she tried it once before, but she was too scared)

I was planning on buying here a bike once we close on our house in March, have the money now just no where to put it, so now she said I can use this money for either A) A second bike for myself B) Dump it all into the Daytona and get it to where I want it.

At the moment i'm leaning more towards pouring the money into the Daytona, because I don't know if i'll get enough use out of a second bike, however it would be nice to have a "Two Up" bike.

If you were in my shoes what would you choose?

Bloke

Second bike :)

A daytona is a beautiful bike as is, yeah you could spend money on improving it but it won't go as far as just getting a second bike.

Plus if your gf changes her mind at least she has the option of riding one of them.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

anson650

More info needed:
Does your GF like to ride two up? Does she like to ride on the back of the Daytona?
Glad to see you are not pushing her to ride solo. Riding is not for everyone.
Anson

TokenSSDD

Props for not pushing her into it. My wife's kind of the same way...

The question I have is what would the second bike be? Are you considering a few different options? And what's the extent of the mods you'd be doing to the Daytona? Is it a substantial price difference (if that's an issue at all)?

Chucker

If she really likes riding with you and you think you'll do some travelling, I'd say add a nice bigger sport tourer to your stable.

iSpoolin

Props for not pushing her into it. My wife's kind of the same way...

The question I have is what would the second bike be? Are you considering a few different options? And what's the extent of the mods you'd be doing to the Daytona? Is it a substantial price difference (if that's an issue at all)?
If I got the second bike it would probably be a Speed Triple or some other form of 1000+ CC bike, as it would be mainly for our two up rides, and while the Daytona does have a problem carrying us (we are only about 270 lbs combined) it would be nice to have a little more upmh. We ride two up for sport riding, not for just cruising, she's as into perfecting her form on the back as I am while doing it solo. She likes the back seat of the Daytona. She wants to do a two up track day but I don't know about that just yet.

Final price of the mods I want to do to the bike are about $8000. New bike would be 9-10, but the price really isn't an issue to me.

Second bike :)

A daytona is a beautiful bike as is, yeah you could spend money on improving it but it won't go as far as just getting a second bike.

Plus if your gf changes her mind at least she has the option of riding one of them.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
My only fear with the second bike is it won't get ridden much. We do a two up group ride almost every weekend, but still yet. Plus we are both VERY use to the Daytona now. She knows how she can move on the back and not upset the bike, which is a good thing when your doing two up sport riding.

The changes to the Daytona are mainly suspension, brakes, and a few cosmetics, mainly things to improve the performance of the bike though. So it's a very hard decision.

Spunky99

Dumping that amount of cash into the Daytona makes no sense from a resale point. The bike is already pretty tricked out from the factory and unless you are going to race her, just forget about it.

Get a liter bike and enjoy the power with 2 people. A Speed Triple is a good choice as is an R1, CBR 1000 RR or a Saki 1400.

iSpoolin

Dumping that amount of cash into the Daytona makes no sense from a resale point. The bike is already pretty tricked out from the factory and unless you are going to race her, just forget about it.

Get a liter bike and enjoy the power with 2 people. A Speed Triple is a good choice as is an R1, CBR 1000 RR or a Saki 1400.
I don't plan to sell the Daytona. She'll die in my ownership :D

I am doing 3-4 trackdays a year as well.

BoneJj

Have you looked at the yamaha FZ1 or the Kawasaki ninja 1000, both of those should be pretty good 2 up and the FZ1 has available side fairings that dress it up nicely and also work like the ninja 1k fairings and fend off some wind.

Those are the 2 bikes I'm looking at myself...

Might be of interest to you to look at.

iSpoolin

Have you looked at the yamaha FZ1 or the Kawasaki ninja 1000, both of those should be pretty good 2 up and the FZ1 has available side fairings that dress it up nicely and also work like the ninja 1k fairings and fend off some wind.

Those are the 2 bikes I'm looking at myself...

Might be of interest to you to look at.
Thanks for the suggestions!

BrueThru

Sentient Being
Elite Member

Fizzer6R

I wish I had a girlfriend. :(
you do, her name is Rosie Palm :rolleyes:

iSpoolin, what ever you do, make sure you buy her something, small piece of jewelry or whatever she likes as a token of how cool she is letting you enjoy the man toys

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

iSpoolin

iSpoolin, what ever you do, make sure you buy her something, small piece of jewelry or whatever she likes as a token of how cool she is letting you enjoy the man toys
She allows me to enjoy the "man toys" because I treat her to about everything she wants. Every weekend she gets a new piece of jewelry and a dinner of her choice :D

Spunky99

Palmela Handerson is always ready and willing.:rolleyes:

dekaliber

I don't suppose just saving the money is an option?

Sounds like you guys do pretty well together already riding on your Daytona, so it's not like a second bike is necessary to continue riding 2-up. Two bikes are preferable to one but you mention yourself that you're concerned the second won't get ridden a whole lot. Putting that much into your existing bike on upgrades just doesn't make any sense.

If I were in your shoes, I'd put that money in the bank. Down the road, it could go a long way towards some furniture for the house, maintenance and repairs (houses are expensive!), a new car, and all sorts of other things.

iSpoolin

I don't suppose just saving the money is an option?

Sounds like you guys do pretty well together already riding on your Daytona, so it's not like a second bike is necessary to continue riding 2-up. Two bikes are preferable to one but you mention yourself that you're concerned the second won't get ridden a whole lot. Putting that much into your existing bike on upgrades just doesn't make any sense.

If I were in your shoes, I'd put that money in the bank. Down the road, it could go a long way towards some furniture for the house, maintenance and repairs (houses are expensive!), a new car, and all sorts of other things.
It is an option, but this is our "Bike Fund" money, I have a seperate "House Fund" "Car Fund" and just straight saving's account. 10k in the house fund, 10k in the car fund, 10k in the bike fund and a little under 5k in the straight saving account.

So honestly, I have no need to put back the money, it's what we have FOR the bike/bikes. I keep my money organized don't worry, it's not like this is the only money I have :D

and IMO, putting that much money in to a bike is perfectly sensible, it's what I love, and what I enjoy, what else are you suppose to pour money into? The way I see It is I work my ass off 65-80 hours a week to have the money I do and theres no better way to spend it then on the things you want. You might not be here tomorrow, no point in being tight with your money :)

dekaliber

If you need to spend the money to be happy, then by all means go for it. I just didn't detect that need and IMHO having extra money saved isn't a bad thing. :)

If there's a second bike that you're really in love with, buy it. If the $8000 in your current bike represents a good investment and would make it "perfect" in your eyes, that's fine too.

As an outsider, neither choice seemed more appealing from a value perspective than simply doing something else with the money later. Plus, god forbid something happen at the track, but I don't think most insurance policies will pay for a new bike in that case.

Or actually, what about trading up for a new 2011/2012 Daytona R? It's lighter, slightly more powerful, and has better suspension and brakes that you'll be able to feel on the track.

Last edited:

Sage

You guys seem comfortable with your current bike for two up, so a second doesn't seem needed in my eyes. I'd suggest either upgrading the Daytona more, or upgrade to the Daytona R, or even put the money towards a track specific bike.

All kinds of gear is always an option ;)