Question for dummy button.

stroke

you all got it wrong the blue is the fastest... it is the Race Team Color of Yamaha :D
lol anyways yea if anyone finds a good two way switch that fits in this tiny hole please shed some light

xplodnstar

Next time I'm rummaging around at Radio Shack, I'll double check which one I used AND see if I can find an on/off push button too. the website does not make it easy to find.

xplodnstar

Lo and behold, I ended up there last night.

So here is the actual switch that I used for the garage door opener installation:
SPST 0.5-Amp Momentary Switch (2-Pack) - RadioShack.com
It's very small and does not allow for much amperage, which is not needed anyway since the opener runs off its own battery.

In sifting through everything there, I don't think there is a switch that is small enough to fit in the housing that will have an amperage rating high enough for the LED lights. Here are a couple that I see:
SPST Push On-Push Off Switch - RadioShack.com
SPST Push On-Push Off Switch - RadioShack.com
Both are 3 amps, the first one is 1/4" so it MIGHT fit, the second is 1/2" so it probably wont. Check the amperage needs for your lights you may need to go with a rocker switch on the dash somewhere just because of the power rating.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
If I remember correctly, didn't you say that the 3/8" switch was too big to fit and that you used the 1/4" one? I may have to go back and re-read to be sure.

:confused:

xplodnstar

If I remember correctly, didn't you say that the 3/8" switch was too big to fit and that you used the 1/4" one? I may have to go back and re-read to be sure.

:confused:
I couldn't remember which I had. I have not seen a 1/4" switch in my rummaging, but I did find the part number of the specific switch I did use, which is how I pulled it up online. The measurement just represents the opening that it would peek through. In this case, you're stuffing the whole thing in the housing, so its opening needs are not an issue.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Cool, I think I will print that out and swing by Radio Shack after work. I will hook the switch to the remote first, then if I can get it working, take apart the control housing and mount it in there.

xplodnstar

Cool, I think I will print that out and swing by Radio Shack after work. I will hook the switch to the remote first, then if I can get it working, take apart the control housing and mount it in there.
Good idea. :thumbup:

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, so I am nearly finished with the garage door opener integrated into the dummy button and I have been taking pictures along the way to document the process and eventually write a how-to.

What I need now is to know how exactly you modified the back of the dummy button to get it to work with the switch. Did you cut it off from the block that was screwed to the control housing so that it would stick through the hole? Or did you just leave it flush like it was originally? Also, I imagine yours had a hole in the back, did you fill that with some material to allow it to attach to the momentary switch?

Thanks in advance for any info or tips you can give me so that I can get this finished up and posted. :thumbup:

xplodnstar

Ok, so I am nearly finished with the garage door opener integrated into the dummy button and I have been taking pictures along the way to document the process and eventually write a how-to.

What I need now is to know how exactly you modified the back of the dummy button to get it to work with the switch. Did you cut it off from the block that was screwed to the control housing so that it would stick through the hole? Or did you just leave it flush like it was originally? Also, I imagine yours had a hole in the back, did you fill that with some material to allow it to attach to the momentary switch?

Thanks in advance for any info or tips you can give me so that I can get this finished up and posted. :thumbup:
I chopped the dummy button's back off a little at a time until it fit the same as stock with the switch installed. The hole I opened up with a dremmel to fit over the switch head and "glued" it on with liquid electrical tape.Seems to work pretty well so far.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I started to slowly open the back of the button until the switch would fit. Then I didn't like how things were going and so I decided to put the whole switch inside the button. Well, as I was slowly widening the hole, the drill bit bit off more than it could chew and cracked the outer portion. :eek: :banghead:

So I cut the whole button off from the back portion and used a plastic "boot thing" that fits everything perfectly. Turns out that it might even protect against water from getting into the controls. Only bad thing is that it's red. So after the super-glue dries I may paint it black, or just leave it depending on how ambitious I want to be. lol

The way it worked out, I think it will all remain flush with the control housing. As soon as it's all dry and put back together, I will get the how-to up.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
DONE! :steve::cheer:

Check the How-to section for the write-up

JonKerr

Elite Member

Yone

The black button is just the dummy plug that comes on the bike. I shaved down the back of it to fit the switch button behind it. The wires from the switch are run to the garage remote (key chain size for me) that is mounted under the dash.

The switch I got from Radio Shack. It's a very small, red topped push button. The head of it fits right into the hollow of the black "plug".
Okay, just to make sure I have it right... Did you cut the actual little visible oval button from the black box it was attached to (and was screwed inside the switch assembly) to enable it to move up and down with the Radio Shack switch? And then fit the Radio Shack switch inside the little box with the detached stock/dummy button glued to the switch?

xplodnstar

Okay, just to make sure I have it right... Did you cut the actual little visible oval button from the black box it was attached to (and was screwed inside the switch assembly) to enable it to move up and down with the Radio Shack switch? And then fit the Radio Shack switch inside the little box with the detached stock/dummy button glued to the switch?
In essence, yes.

I unscrewed it from the housing, shaved or cut down the back of the button, hollowed out the inside more, and glued it to the switch head. It fit back in the housing sticking through the hole just a little more than it did stock.

Yone

In essence, yes.

I unscrewed it from the housing, shaved or cut down the back of the button, hollowed out the inside more, and glued it to the switch head. It fit back in the housing sticking through the hole just a little more than it did stock.
Got it - thanks! So I've got everything finished except attaching the dummy button to the tiny, tiny, little red Radio Shack button top. Liquid electrical tape was enough to hold it all together?

demon408

crap i pushed my button to hard and it went in!

uscgduncan

So, if these micro-switches are only rated at 2-3 amps max, then you guys should use a relay, they only draw around a 1/2 amp. Then, you can control anything you wanted, even up to a 20-30 amp circuit.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
crap i pushed my button to hard and it went in!
Just unscrew the control housing and reposition it. It's just held in place by a single screw inside the control housing.

xplodnstar

Got it - thanks! So I've got everything finished except attaching the dummy button to the tiny, tiny, little red Radio Shack button top. Liquid electrical tape was enough to hold it all together?
So far I haven't had any issues.