Question for dummy button.

jdesiano1

Are there any specs for this button? I would like to hook my LEDs to it. Is it just simple wiring?

xplodnstar

The button itself has nothing attached to it but a screw to hold it still. You have to add the switch and wiring to make it work as something else.

This weekend I plan to swap out my grips, so I will try to take some picks of the door opener switch I installed in there.

jdesiano1

The button itself has nothing attached to it but a screw to hold it still. You have to add the switch and wiring to make it work as something else.

This weekend I plan to swap out my grips, so I will try to take some picks of the door opener switch I installed in there.
Thanks I guess it would be pretty straight forward to put a swtich there. Good luck with your grips mine were a PITA! If yall have an air compressor it is a lot easier.

xplodnstar

Yeah, I do have one, but I usually use Windex to lubricate the removal and install. It is just slippery enough, but evaporates fairly quickly.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member

reiobard

wow.... so they put a fake button on there..... interesting...

xplodnstar

Here's pic...

Yone

Here's pic...

Is that the dummy button, or the one you added for the garage door opener?

I would like to wire up a button for my garage door as well, but have NO idea where to get a button and how to do it, besides wiring into the actual door opener remote and mounting it to the bike somewhere...

Wolfman

That dummy button is for Countries like Australia, that require a "passing" light by law.....you hit it, and both, high and low beam come on together on Australian spec FZ's.....

:thumbup:

xplodnstar

Is that the dummy button, or the one you added for the garage door opener?

I would like to wire up a button for my garage door as well, but have NO idea where to get a button and how to do it, besides wiring into the actual door opener remote and mounting it to the bike somewhere...
The black button is just the dummy plug that comes on the bike. I shaved down the back of it to fit the switch button behind it. The wires from the switch are run to the garage remote (key chain size for me) that is mounted under the dash.

The switch I got from Radio Shack. It's a very small, red topped push button. The head of it fits right into the hollow of the black "plug".

P

Pyro

So the FZ6R has no hazard button? I thought you had to have that, as useless as it is.

xplodnstar

So the FZ6R has no hazard button? I thought you had to have that, as useless as it is.
Not all states/countries require it. Yamaha still uses the same housing, though, so the black button they put in is just to fill space.

F

FZ1inNH

The FZ6 and FZ1 have a functional hazard button. I might just disconnect the hazards and wire mine to the door opener.

On Michele's FZ6R, I'll go buy a switch and do what xplodnstar did. :D

stroke

i could not find a switch small enough to put in its place to run my LED's its a tiny opening

xplodnstar

Funkmaxtor

You dont want to use one that says momentary contact or you will need to hold the button the entire time you have the lights on. I made my own underglow kit of my FZ6R. I used this kit for the switching. Installed it right along side of the battery and it works like a champ. Advantage is that you dont need to run wires near the controls or pop out that dummy button. Just my thoughts.

12V Remote Control Dimmer Switch & Strobe Switch - Plug & Play

Here is a video of the results.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGNqelwCPsM]YouTube - FZ6R Ground Effects[/ame]

F

FZ1inNH

The momentary switch is in reference to the garage door opener though. ;) But for LED lighting, yes, you are right, you need an on/off switch. :thumbup:

spacemonkey

im currently obtaining parts for the button and garage opener. when i find everything needed ill post some pics and a how-to write up...