Question for dummy button.

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
im currently obtaining parts for the button and garage opener. when i find everything needed ill post some pics and a how-to write up...
Awesome! I'll then do it to my wife's bike too.

Since I don't use my hazards on the FZ1, I thought of bypassing the wiring and using that switch for the door opener. :D

tractorboy

My Dummy Button

Im gonna use that button too.......Im gonna use my for something better than the garage door....im using mine for a mini slushy machine!!

now I just have to figure out where to mount the drink/cup holder....!!!!!

Tractor...

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator

shreveport1

xplodnstar

The momentary switch is in reference to the garage door opener though. ;) But for LED lighting, yes, you are right, you need an on/off switch. :thumbup:
Not sure that the one I linked was right. Like I said, I don't understand the switch lingo, but I do know there are buttons out there that are press - on, press - off, I think those are momentum switches. It does not have to be flip switch.

Atron

Not sure that the one I linked was right. Like I said, I don't understand the switch lingo, but I do know there are buttons out there that are press - on, press - off, I think those are momentum switches. It does not have to be flip switch.

hazard lightS? i have all 4 turn signals turned on with that button, thats it right?

xplodnstar

hazard lightS? i have all 4 turn signals turned on with that button, thats it right?
The FZ6R has a dummy button where other bikes have a Hazzard Light button.

Atron

yes yes i know, i was curious if what you call hazard lights and my switch activates all 4 turn signals at the same time, i was wondering if thats the same thing

Last edited:

xplodnstar

yes yes i know, i was curious if what you call hazard lights and, and my switch activates all 4 turn signals at the same time, i was wondering if thats the same thing
Oh, sorry. :eek:

Yes, that's the same thing.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I think you said you put the garage door remote under the dash. Did you just double-side sticky tape it? Also, how did you run the wires out of the controls? Did you just follow the wires that already exited the controls? Also, are they just exposed alone, or did you wrap them up, or thread them through the existing insulation?

Sorry for all the questions. I am wanting to wire my remote somehow, because trying to hit the button through my jacket just isn't cutting it.

Thanks!

xplodnstar

Double-stick tape, ran the wires through the existing locations & insulation and followed other wires that went under the dash so that there would be enough slack.

The purple zip tie is the one put on after all the wiring was done (darkest color I had at the time). Do be sure that your DS tape is good stuff. My first attempt to mount the opener resulted in it dangling.

For the most part, the wire looming is the easy part. The fun part is taking apart the opener and playing with the connections to find the right ones. We scared ourselves a couple of times when the wire would touch and the door started to open when we weren't paying attention.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Did you just feed the wires through the existing insulation, or did you pull it off/back to get the wires down and under the dash? How did you test which connectors were correct? Did you just hold the two leads on contact points and press the button, or did you use like a voltmeter to messure voltage/current across the board? You didn't need to take the grip off to do it, correct, you just had it off for the heated grip install?

If I get to it in the next couple days, I might try to do a how-to write-up with pictures.

xplodnstar

Did you just feed the wires through the existing insulation, or did you pull it off/back to get the wires down and under the dash? How did you test which connectors were correct? Did you just hold the two leads on contact points and press the button, or did you use like a voltmeter to messure voltage/current across the board? You didn't need to take the grip off to do it, correct, you just had it off for the heated grip install?

If I get to it in the next couple days, I might try to do a how-to write-up with pictures.

Wow, you really are getting into the nitty-gritty.

The wires I fed through using the "push something through the other way that is sturdy enough to hold its shape and attach the new lines" method.

For the contact points, I used 1 of the wires to connect 2 points and see what happened. On my model, there were only 3 likely solder points anyway, so I connected each pair in turn and found the right set. Then I attached the 2 separate wires, 1 to each spot, and those would go to the switch. The fun part was when those wires would dangle next to each other, come into contact and scare the bejezzus out of me when the door opened.

The grips do not need to come off for this install, just the switch housing. That's only a couple of screws. I did change out my grips for other reasons, and they did have to come off for the grip warmers.

If you get to the pictures first, I'll be dissapointed in myself, but glad they're finally up.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, you really are getting into the nitty-gritty.

The wires I fed through using the "push something through the other way that is sturdy enough to hold its shape and attach the new lines" method.

For the contact points, I used 1 of the wires to connect 2 points and see what happened. On my model, there were only 3 likely solder points anyway, so I connected each pair in turn and found the right set. Then I attached the 2 separate wires, 1 to each spot, and those would go to the switch. The fun part was when those wires would dangle next to each other, come into contact and scare the bejezzus out of me when the door opened.

The grips do not need to come off for this install, just the switch housing. That's only a couple of screws. I did change out my grips for other reasons, and they did have to come off for the grip warmers.

If you get to the pictures first, I'll be dissapointed in myself, but glad they're finally up.
Yeah, sorry about all the questions. I just like to have as much info/details as possible before I start a project. That's what the forum is for! :thumbup:

If you want, I can take pics, and then sandbag them until you get your bike back from Corbin. Then once you take and post pictures, I will just fill in the gaps. Sound like a deal? ;)

xplodnstar

Yeah, sorry about all the questions. I just like to have as much info/details as possible before I start a project. That's what the forum is for! :thumbup:

If you want, I can take pics, and then sandbag them until you get your bike back from Corbin. Then once you take and post pictures, I will just fill in the gaps. Sound like a deal? ;)

Ha ha ha, don't worry about the questions, if I wasn't on the ball enough to remember to take pics at the time, I deserve it.

If you get to it, take pics, do the write up, make it all look pretty. Just remember to tell everyone that the white bikes are faster. :p

I'll be sure to post thanks and rep for you when you do. :thumbup:

jersy19

awww come on now, everyone knows the black is faster, thats y its black and dark, because its faster then the speed of light :thumbup:

xplodnstar

awww come on now, everyone knows the black is faster, thats y its black and dark, because its faster then the speed of light :thumbup:
But not faster than the speed of White. :p

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Both wrong. The sun is yellow, and life depends on the sun. Therefore, the yellow bike reigns supreme. Not to mention is has stars, and stars are awesome!

:cool:

:hijack: lol

xplodnstar