Primer on Lane Splitting in California?

Superzoom

More great tips! Thanks everyone.

In Canada, absolutely no one lane splits or even filters up at stoplights. Sometimes on four-lane city streets, there are tons of cars parked in the curb lane, and a motorcycle (or car) will ride up the half lane on the right to get to the front. Otherwise, motorcycles navigate lanes just like a smaller car.

What annoys me is that many of our HOV lanes are not available to motorcyclists unless you've got a passenger.

Last edited:

knightmare

I commuted 100 miles per day for a couple of years, on the 91 and 55 for you SoCal locals. I came up with my own set of rules for survival.

1) Go the full 10mph over the flow of traffic. The longer you linger off someone's rear quarter panel, the more likely they're going to drift into you. If your path is clear, GO!

2) Split either lanes 1 & 2 or HOV & 1. Too much mixing goes on in the more right lanes, besides, they're usually slower.

3) If there is lane control for the HOV lane (double yellow), ease back into a lane before you reach the entrance/exit. Cars dart in and out there.

4) Don't split around curves. You can't see road debris or cars off center and in your way and they can't see you coming.

5) Run your hi-beams during the day. It puts a flash in their mirror and helps them know you're coming.

6) Stay clear of dually pickups. They're as wide as tractor-trailer rigs, but the mouth-breather behind the wheel just traded his Honda Civic for it and he has no skills.

7) Keep your awareness level at 11. Splitting lanes actually makes a long, boring commute into a challenging adventure.

In general, be aware that some immigrant from the Ukraine and I are the only 2 people here that signal lane changes. Also, the standard spacing between cars is about 1.5 car lengths at 70mph. It's not exactly the 3-second rule as recommended by the Safety Council.

That's the same set of rules I use.... I ride the 91... 55... 57.... 60... Lake Elsinore to Santa Ana.... Now the I go from Rancho Cucamonga to Santa Ana same distance.... Driving a car during traffic hours I'm looking at 2 hours of traffic....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

latony007

More great tips! Thanks everyone.

In Canada, absolutely no one lane splits or even filters up at stoplights. Sometimes on four-lane city streets, there are tons of cars parked in the curb lane, and a motorcycle (or car) will ride up the half lane on the right to get to the front. Otherwise, motorcycles navigate lanes just like a smaller car.

What annoys me is that many of our HOV lanes are not available to motorcyclists unless you've got a passenger.
Thats lame, HOV or carpool lanes we call them are always open to Motorcycles, passenger or not. Im not sure why Ca is the only state that allows it, its been long enough you think they would have enough stats to convince other states its safe.

2wheelie

Im not sure why Ca is the only state that allows it, its been long enough you think they would have enough stats to convince other states its safe.
Because politicians don't ride bikes and they don't give a shit if you can split or not. America is a very restrictive country. Canada is just copying it.

Superzoom

Thats lame, HOV or carpool lanes we call them are always open to Motorcycles, passenger or not. Im not sure why Ca is the only state that allows it, its been long enough you think they would have enough stats to convince other states its safe.
Because politicians don't ride bikes and they don't give a shit if you can split or not. America is a very restrictive country. Canada is just copying it.
I agree, it is lame. I think it's because only one-in-fifty vehicles is a motorcycle, so we're an unimportant minority, and because the rest of America and Canada are not very progressive when it comes to transportation. Plus here, many of us use motorcycles as toys, not as serious transportation.

2wheelie

Yes, America used to be the prosperous country in the world, and therefor everyone could afford to have a car. The rest was just for fun. This trend and mentality is still here, but the reality is far gone. Americans refuse to smell reality, therefore things are too slow for being changed.

I traveled on a bike thru 13 countries in Europe and this trend looked kind of similar in richer countries. Countries like Germany and Austria have less bikes on the road than say Spain and Italy. Nevertheless I find Europe more advanced in many ways...and riding is a pure pleasure - no restrictions. What you can do there (riding wise) legally, would be considered next to criminal here :). Shame America. You're so behind :(

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

latony007

Spain and Italy have crazy traffic. Bikes (and scooters) are a great way to avoid traffic. Maybe that leads to them being a more efficient way to get around. They're also cheaper (which I suppose supports your argument about prosperousness and cars).
I have driven in Italy and it does have crazy traffic. Mostly because their roads were designed when the most effective modes of transportation were your feet and horse. Almost no road goes straight. The one thing i noticed about all the mopeds and bikes was that they seemed to be on their own like if they get hit its their fault, they were crazy aggressive i thought for having no cages to protect them. However with gas being so incredible expensive over there im sure its even more popular now then when i was there.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

2wheelie

Anything in particular you're thinking of here? I'm at a loss as to what I can do in Europe on a motorcycle that I can't do here, apart from the whole drive 200 mph on the autobahn thing)
First, lane spit is legal.
Passing is allowed most of the time, opposed to here (double yellow is 90% of the time). Therefore none is holding you back and everyone is happy.
Even if passing on a bike over a solid white line is not considered as bad as if you pass on double yellow here.
You can ride or pass between cars against oncoming traffic (road width permits).
Lane discipline is strictly followed.
And 2 wheelers are not being looked at as hooligans.
As for heavy traffic - come over to NJ :)

Detrich

CalTrans actually originally tried to require that all motorcycles pay for and carry a transponder for FastTrak HOV lanes too when the 110 and 10 freeways converted to FastTrak.

But, 30 days prior to going live, CalTrans suddenly back peddled and reversed the requirement. Thank God.

The outcry from motorcyclists was too much, maybe? Hah! My guess is that it was law enforcement staff that ride motorcycles that complained and made CalTrans change their minds. Otherwise, CalTrans could give a rats *** about the general riding population.

We dodged a bullet on that one. Seriously.

Superzoom

One last question, this one about filtering....

So once you've filtered to the head of the line at a red light, what do you do? Do you choose a lane and then nose slightly or fully into it? Or do you stay between the cars and wait for the green, and then jump in front of a lane? Is there a preference for which lane you should end up in (immediate left or right), or does it just depend where you want to end up?

Thanks again for all the suggestions and tips!

Kdubb223

Once at the front, if there is room Ill move in front of a vehicle and take that lane. If there is no room, then I just blast off the line at green and pick the safer lane... ie the one that doesn't have the upset/racy driver trying to keep up in either lane. For the most part, once drivers see you up at the front they will wait for you to accelerate and choose a lane before crowding you.

latony007

i pretty much always just stay in the middle and pick which ever lane is safer when i take off. And if you take off in the slowest possible way you will still dust pretty much any car and never have i had to worry about someone cutting me off or anything.

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

latony007

Have you noticed people stopping around car length back from the stop line? I have, it's really strange - are they afraid they will get rear-ended and pushed out into traffic? More room for me I guess :)
I love when that happens, especially when im riding with a friend then you can move over and make room for both of you.

Detrich

I always try to split at red lights when there is room, get to the front, then launch at green, get into any available lane that's open, and get in front of traffic.

If I'm first to the line at the next red, I tap my brake light repeatedly to let cars paying attention know that im there. Then I'll stop on the line but in-between both lanes.

Ive been rear-ended before at a red, and any absent minded driver is going to hit u no matter what. They could be looking right at your tail light and still not see you and roll right into you. That's what happened to me.

The only way to reduce the chances is to not be in the middle of the lane when stopping. So stopping on the position of the dotted white line between lanes at the front is- imo- still the safest spot to be if u get there first.