Preload adjuster question

cezell09

So I've noticed that the preload adjuster for the rear suspension has become bent. It appears that the seam was not welded all the way down and it is bending at the seam. I do change the preload frequently for 2-up riding so this could be a likely cause of the bend.

First I'd like to know if anyone knows what could be causing this and secondly I'd like to know where I could buy one without going to the dealer. I've looked at the OEM parts sites and the drawing of the rear damper does not include the adjuster ring. Thank you for any help.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Kdubb223

Glad I searched... I was about to start a thread on this...

Normally I ride with preload at 5... Went for a 2up the other day and was able to set it to 7, although it seem to take a lot more force than necessary. I returned and set it back to 5 with ease. Went for a quick 2up ride this evening and could not for the life of me set it back to 7... The adjusting ring was starting to bend under the pressure and would not budge past 6...

1st of all has anyone else had this happen? and second any thoughts/suggestions on how to fix this?
Bike is 09 with about 7.5k miles.

Thanks!

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

cezell09

Glad I searched... I was about to start a thread on this...

Normally I ride with preload at 5... Went for a 2up the other day and was able to set it to 7, although it seem to take a lot more force than necessary. I returned and set it back to 5 with ease. Went for a quick 2up ride this evening and could not for the life of me set it back to 7... The adjusting ring was starting to bend under the pressure and would not budge past 6...

1st of all has anyone else had this happen? and second any thoughts/suggestions on how to fix this?
Bike is 09 with about 7.5k miles.

Thanks!
Yeah. I actually never fixed it. It's just permanently set to 6 right now. I won't dare change it in case it decides to break on me. I no longer ride 2up though since I got married and me and my wife started gaining weight. I told myself I can't get an upgraded bike until I lose some weight though. Exercising here I come!

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

rhnatyk

Yep, I have the exact same problem. When I ride alone I set the preload to 3, but when I ride 2 up with my wife I set it to 7. It's always been a struggle to change, but the last time was impossible. Upon inspection I discovered that the adjuster ring was deformed and now it's stuck on 4. I've only found one replacement shock and it was $650, so not worth it to me. I've also considered replacing the entire shock with a salvage part from ebay for about $100. The shock still functions so I may just live with it.