Power Commander

PapaD

Looking for some advice, one of the mod's I'm seriously considering is a PCV. Is it worth the cost?, also want to install new exhaust system but being a resident of California leaves me with few solid choices. Any information would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

BluePill

By itself a PCV won't give you any more power. You need to at least uncork the intake and exhaust so that the motor can utilize the extra fuel.

TexanFZ6R

If you do exhaust or any other performance related mods, probably. I bought my bike with exhaust and the PCV already installed. Very happy to have them but if my bike had come with the stock exhaust and no PCV, I'd have a hard time spending the money on them. It's ridiculous how much an exhaust on a bike costs.

xleeb0y13x

What year is the bike? I've got the two bros full system and the pcv and am also a cali resident. Luckily my bike has a 2012 build sticker on it which gets me around the exhaust laws. After that you run into legal issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OSBORNE112892

Does anyone know if having the two brothers exhaust and power commander is supposed to cut the gas mileage in half? I understand youll get less with an exhaust on the bike, but it doesnt make sense that its been reduced by half. any input would be much appreciated!!

BluePill

Sounds like the PCV map is too rich. It may have been corrupted by the mis-wiring.

Suggest that you look at the map and see if it has any major corrections to the fuel mixture. With just a pipe I would expect nothing above a +15.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

OSBORNE112892

For all the mod I had on mine, I went from 175-180 miles a tank to 150ish. It's more a throttle input related issue LOL Are you using the TB map or one of mine? My sport map is a MPG buster but the Touring one is quite conservative if you keep the throttle under 20%. You ride is using about 5% more fuel at cruising rpms. (give n take)
I actually took it to a dyno when i first had installed the exhaust and power commander.
so heres the whole story, maybe you'll have more of an idea.

A buddy and I installed the exhaust and power commander. Well, sadly, we mishooked the powercommander and a ton of gas came out of the exhaust. I took it to a shop and they did an oil change, filter change, spark plug change(if i remember right), and then hooked the power commander up and tuned it on a dyno. The mechanic basically said right a little then get another oil change to make sure everything was okay.
Well I didnt ride much after the incident. the incident was a couple years ago. I just recently had an oil and filter change on it, as I am planning on riding way more. The mechanic said everything was fine. But for whatever reason, i get about 90 miles on a full tank when I used to get 180. Any idea on cause for this? Or what to do? I have to go pick it up in the next day or two, as i got new tires put on. So hopefully i can fix this issue so i didnt just waste a bunch of money on new tires.

Sorry its so long!!

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

OSBORNE112892

PCV is quite easy to pull out on the 6R. Take it out for a ride and see how it feel for a tank maybe. You should get 42-45 MPG easy, 38 MPG riding like a total lunatic! LOL I won't rule out an issue with the PCV... been there.
That's what my thought was. I'll check it out!! Not sure how to install maps for it so I'll have to look up the instructions I suppose lol

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Two options; save your current map to PC and load a zero map. This passes through the OEM ECU inputs and your MPGs should near the old ###.

On the FZ6, all inputs are passthough and one can simply unplug the FC from the Injectors and Plug the Injectors back into the OEM ECU. Again, MPG should return.

But ya, map is huge fat rich if 90 miles is your range.
My FZ6 is at 13.1:1 throughout most of the map goes about 175mi before F-trip comes on. Roughly 42 mpg.

Stock at 14.5:1 afr it get roughly 48 to 52 mpg...

In short you are washing the pistons and cylinder walls free of oil and should be changing oil weekly. You are taking miles traveled divided by fuel to refill from last fuel up yes? I'm guessing that fuel map is fueling at 10:1 or more. You may as well install a Nitrous Kit!!!!

Get it fixed before the engine is destroyed.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

xleeb0y13x

What legal issues? I've got a 2013
A little late of a answer but you don't have to worry about it being in Texas. California has a law that any bike built or bought after 2013 can't mess with the stock exhaust system. Slip ons are ok but in the case of 6R riders were screwed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk