PCV with stock exhaust

S

SkyOrDie

I’m going to plead a case for using a Power Commander V without an aftermarket exhaust. I don’t personally have a problem with louder exhausts, but my neighbors and some cops do and even I am not interested in a super loud exhaust. I also agree that loud pipes are one factor for being noticed in traffic. On the other hand, having to be easy on the throttle in certain situations seems counterproductive to the fun factor to me. Also, you HAVE to get a PCV with an aftermarket exhaust, but the opposite is not true. I wonder how much of the 3 to 5% gain in HP is due to just giving the engine the proper amount of fuel.

With just the PCV you get more power, cooler operating temps, better throttle response and easier warm starts. Operating temps are down by 10 degrees. The pseudo-accelerator pump gives a nice throttle response. For warm starts in stock config you either need to crank an extra second or crack the throttle a hair. I hate that. Warm starts with the PCV are just like a cold start. Everyone knows these things come out of the factory just as lean as they can possibly get away with. The PCV brings the mixture up to the level it ought to be.

The PCV came loaded with a map for a stock intake/exhaust FZ6R. Dynojet seems to think this bike needs significantly more fuel especially in the mid-throttle, mid-to-lower-rpm section of the map. I’ve opened up the airbox and switched to a K&N air filter on mine. I’ve also drilled through a couple layers of internal pipes in the exhaust to make it sound less like a sewing machine. Some may say it now sounds like an industrial sewing machine :), but it IS better! No, I don’t expect the exhaust mod to make it flow any better, but you can still play with the map if you think you’re somewhere in between stock and open exhaust.

I did this mod for $279.95 to my door. A new exhaust would be an additional twice that amount and can always be done later to get the full power benefit. Others have said it’s useless to get a PCV without also getting an open exhaust, but I think you CAN benefit from a PCV with a stock exhaust. The option of later going to an open exhaust is always there and you don’t have to plunk down the full $700 to $1000 all at once.

-Stan

Last edited:

Back