Overheat issue. Fan not running

So yesterday, my Fz6r was ~240f and the fan had not kicked in. I stopped at a gas station and let it idle to hear for the fan and all the bike did was climb in temperature. I checked the fuse box and nothing was short. Where is the fan relay in the bike? Not sure which relay it is and which wires to check...

abyss1406

the fan relay should be behind the battery on the right side

latony007

Does the fan come on if your ideling? i never notice it until after i turn off the bike then it will run for a couple minutes.

Does the fan come on if your ideling? i never notice it until after i turn off the bike then it will run for a couple minutes.
From what i noticed before, the fan would come on sometime around 210F. The temperature would continue rising until either it auto shuts off or when i start moving. I am going to check out the relay to make sure that isnt bad.

latony007

i dont think mine has been that high before. i think it normally tops out around 200 or so. I assumed the fan came on after turning off because the radiator is not running to cool it anymore but i dont know crap mechanically lol. i do know that i try and let the fan turn off before i turn off the bike and remove the key. Hope its somethign simple for you.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member
i dont think mine has been that high before. i think it normally tops out around 200 or so. I assumed the fan came on after turning off because the radiator is not running to cool it anymore but i dont know crap mechanically lol. i do know that i try and let the fan turn off before i turn off the bike and remove the key. Hope its somethign simple for you.
I am no professional mechanic, this is my only basic understanding of how watercooled vs air cooled motors work. Air cooled engines have fins on the cylinder part of the motor itself and often do not require fans because of convection currents and based on design and other factors. Even sitting in traffic with an air cooled motor runs fine. Water cooled on the other hand have a separate radiator from the motor while the cylinder is cooled by water running through the jacket. Water cooled engines require constant movement of air since the fins on the radiator are inefficient at convection. Thats why in traffic, watercooled bikes have fans. When the fan does not work, well it overheats.

Im pulling my seat off tonight to see if the relay is bad. Ill post the results.

bleedinblue

Elite Member
Last edited:

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

Andy

Cooling Fan

I recently had to replace my cooling fan. After getting stuck @ two lights in a row it hit 240 and light came on. As soon as moving temp went back down. Checked fuse and it was blown. Replaced fuse and let bike idle back to 210 deg heard fuse pop again. After checking the forum I only found one thread about cooling fan going bad. I reached up in faring and turned fan by hand and coud hear crunching sounds.

Motor is a sealed unit. $400 at dealer, 3 something on bike bandit dont rember exact price. My bike 2009 FZ6r had 16,400 miles. I use to kill bike with kickstand and if fan came on would let it run till it kicked off and then turn key off. I bought a cooling fan off ebay for $99.00 (buy it now) totaled bike had 1,200 miles. I will not be letting fan run after shuting off for sure.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

bleedinblue

Elite Member

blkbrd

Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Flipping the red kill switch on the bars instead of turning it off with the key.I usually shut my bike off the same way as you, but if its pitch black in the middle of the night I flip the killswitch instead so my running lights give me a little light to take off my gear.
The fan should be running when you get above 210F. You probably cannot hear it over the motor or through your helmet. Plus, once you turn off the engine, coolant stop circulating and the head temp climbs above 210 and kicks on the fan.

It turns out when i had removed my fairings, there was a lot of leaves and the "helicopter" seeds preventing my fan from rotating. I cleared it out and the fan was able to move this morning. *phew* lol

latony007

It turns out when i had removed my fairings, there was a lot of leaves and the "helicopter" seeds preventing my fan from rotating. I cleared it out and the fan was able to move this morning. *phew* lol
Whew as well, however leaves up in your fairings? lol

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member
Whew as well, however leaves up in your fairings? lol
Where i live, my fathers '12 toyota camry has a S*** ton of leave, twigs and other things STUFFED in the cabin and engine air filter. And i truly mean stuffed. I had to go fishing for every bit in the cabin fan... I live in woods. Leaves can be found in the strangest and hardest to clean places... :mad:

But you tend to live with it :p

latony007

Where i live, my fathers '12 toyota camry has a S*** ton of leave, twigs and other things STUFFED in the cabin and engine air filter. And i truly mean stuffed. I had to go fishing for every bit in the cabin fan... I live in woods. Leaves can be found in the strangest and hardest to clean places... :mad:

But you tend to live with it :p
Hmm, id look into a $20 cover at minimum. if its that bad id actually look at a shack or something but cover at least.