nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

abyss1406

Chuck12

Here is the Helmet I purchased this week. Bell $179.00. Bell Powersports RS-1 Emblem Full Face Helmet

Most if not all said that Cycle gear's Bilt helmets are junk and not truly DOT rated inside and out.

Sorry; Can't seem to attach picture from Riders Discount.

Bell Powersports RS-1 Emblem Full Face Helmet

Not yet rated. Be the first to write a review
Bell Powersports RS-1 Emblem Full Face Helmet

$179.95 - $399.95
Prices vary by options selected.

Select Color:
Hi-Viz Yellow

Last edited:

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Chuck12

Bilt Helmet Quality???

Well,

For a newbee trying to make a right choice; I tried to read quite a lot of information, rating and forums on helmets. The vast majority if the input I read seems to not said anything good about Cycle Gears "Bilt Helmets".

I didn't want to spend the super big bucks right now for a Shoei at $400.00 plus and just wanted a basic overall quality helmet that I would be hating a month from now. I came damn close to purchase the Bilt helmet with the bluetooth on the side of it for $179.00 this week, but all the information I got said beware! Not very many happy Bilt helmet owners.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Fizzer6R

Well,

For a newbee trying to make a right choice; I tried to read quite a lot of information, rating and forums on helmets. The vast majority if the input I read seems to not said anything good about Cycle Gears "Bilt Helmets".

I didn't want to spend the super big bucks right now for a Shoei at $400.00 plus and just wanted a basic overall quality helmet that I would be hating a month from now. I came damn close to purchase the Bilt helmet with the bluetooth on the side of it for $179.00 this week, but all the information I got said beware! Not very many happy Bilt helmet owners.
fine if you don't like a product, but please don't spread rumors like "not truly DOT rated inside and out" - not sure what inside & out means?

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

latony007

fine if you don't like a product, but please don't spread rumors like "not truly DOT rated inside and out" - not sure what inside & out means?
agree, they are certainly 100% DOT approved.

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

latony007

"Approved" is an interesting word in this case. DOT ratings are done on the honor system (unless something has changed). Here's an excerpt from the Snell Foundation on the differences between DOT and Snell:

DOT certification is done on the honor system. The helmet's manufacturer determines whether his helmets satisfy DOT and then claims the qualification for himself. There is not even a reporting requirement. The government does contract for some spot check testing at commercial and private labs but not very much. In recent years much of their effort has been spent against so-called beanie helmets that are obviously substandard and are worn only by helmet law protesters.​
hmm, coming from Snell that's not exactly impartial. I would have to do some research on that.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Fizzer6R

"Approved" is an interesting word in this case. DOT ratings are done on the honor system (unless something has changed). Here's an excerpt from the Snell Foundation on the differences between DOT and Snell:

DOT certification is done on the honor system. The helmet's manufacturer determines whether his helmets satisfy DOT and then claims the qualification for himself. There is not even a reporting requirement. The government does contract for some spot check testing at commercial and private labs but not very much. In recent years much of their effort has been spent against so-called beanie helmets that are obviously substandard and are worn only by helmet law protesters.​
real independent testing proved that Snell is not better than DOT, although of course people that spend more $ on a snell rated lid want to still think it, some call them SNELL Snobs

hmm, coming from Snell that's not exactly impartial. I would have to do some research on that.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/27/automobiles/27SNELL.html?pagewanted=1

In one comprehensive study of real-world impact performance based on research done for Motorcyclist Magazine, presented by Mr. Thom to the Motorcycle Safety Foundation, a $79.95 helmet certified to Transportation Department standards performed the best of the 32 tested, withstanding the most violent hits while transmitting as much as 67 g’s less impact force to the headform than a $400 Snell-certified helmet.

and telling the truth gets you fired when $ is on the line
How The Truth About Motorcycle Helmets Got A Journalist Fired

link to original article in PDF
http://www.westcoastweasels.com/archives/PDF/Blowing_the_Lid_Off.pdf

IMHO these ratings have been around so long, if one standard resulted in more deaths over another, lawyers would've been all over it by now

Last edited:

latony007

real independent testing proved that Snell is not better than DOT, although of course people that spend more $ on a snell rated lid want to still think it, some call them SNELL Snobs

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/27/automobiles/27SNELL.html?pagewanted=1

In one comprehensive study of real-world impact performance based on research done for Motorcyclist Magazine, presented by Mr. Thom to the Motorcycle Safety Foundation, a $79.95 helmet certified to Transportation Department standards performed the best of the 32 tested, withstanding the most violent hits while transmitting as much as 67 g’s less impact force to the headform than a $400 Snell-certified helmet.

and telling the truth gets you fired when $ is on the line
How The Truth About Motorcycle Helmets Got A Journalist Fired

link to original article in PDF
http://www.westcoastweasels.com/archives/PDF/Blowing_the_Lid_Off.pdf

IMHO these ratings have been around so long, if one standard resulted in more deaths over another, lawyers would've been all over it by now
Yet more proof that a publication like this isn't worth the paper its printed on. How can you trust any review of a new bike, new helmet or a new shoe from these clowns if they are only going to report based on the advertising dollar. If I had a subscription I would cancel it and hope you all do as well. As for helmets I think the DOT/ECE are all safe and as someone else said you pay for some little features but I don't see anything in helmets that make a $100 worth paying 400 other than the name.