Noise tix in Canada - WTF? Oh - Cali too

ry-mac75

My TBR exhaust will not pass this (according to their site, @ 3k RPM it is 101db)... four cylinder bikes are only allowed 100bd @ 5k RPM. This seems like a BS witch hunt idea. I don't know about you guys, but I've noticed a marked difference in the amount of cagers that 'see' me due to my louder exhaust. Hate to use a cliche, but loud pipes save lives. (sorry if this was already posted, just back from VEGAS!)

Alberta test
Edmonton Passes Noisy Motorcycle Bylaw [video] | Motorcycle Blog: The Sidecar

Cali Law (maybe)
California Senate Approves SB 435

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Crappy State laws

Here in Florida, we've got those silly laws too. Fortunately, for us riders, they have way too many other things to worry about than to give out citations for noisy bikes. If you do happen to see a squid giving out a ticket for that sort of thing here, it's normally to a cager.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Here's what you can do. Get a silencer if you don't have one, I suggest the P1 tip.

Or, if you get a ticket and kept your stock exhaust, swap out the TBR for the stock exhaust. Then go down to the courthouse and tell them the ticket is bogus and you want them to actually measure the sound output to prove that you are below the requied db levels.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Spunky99

Here, cruisers are allowed to have open pipes. A Harley almost made me deaf when he hit it hard next to me with 18" pipes.
I've never seen a bike pulled over for exhaust noise.

I do keep my noise to a minimum when around the Police so as not to invite attention but I do notice the cagers are MUCH more aware of me now.
I do have to wear earplugs because of the noise and last weekend I wanted to ask directions from a Sheriff and shut off the motor and coasted up, it was hard to hear him. He didn't say a thing when I started up and took off either.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah after ridding behind Roberts I'd suggest a p1tip lol. His pipe is LOUD! I'll use ear plugs from now on. :p so order him one too for my ears sake..
HAHA Sorry, brah! You shoulda said something. On the next ride, you can be the leader. :thumbup:

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
My neighbors have never complained. Plus, my wife can hear me coming about a block away and has the garage door open for me when I pull in the driveway! :rof:

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Roaddawg

Here, cruisers are allowed to have open pipes. A Harley almost made me deaf when he hit it hard next to me with 18" pipes.
I've never seen a bike pulled over for exhaust noise.
I'm not sure what special part of California you live in :D, but cruisers (or any motorcycle for that fact) CANNOT have open pipes in California. Its always been illegal for motorcycles to increase the exhaust noise over stock levels. The decibel level is actually higher for cars (92-96 dbA) than for motorcycles. But, as long as the rider isn't being a fool with his exhaust, its not real strictly enforced here by police. Here is the vehicle code section that has been law for some time:

CVC 27202. For the purposes of Section 27200, the following noise
limits shall apply to any motorcycle, other than a motor-driven
cycle, manufactured:

(1) After 1969, and before 1973....... 88 dbA
(2) After 1972, and before 1975....... 86 dbA
(3) After 1974, and before 1986....... 83 dbA
(4) After 1985........................ 80 dbA

The new law the Senate is trying to pass is just going to basically require a label on the exhaust to state that it conforms to the above noise level requirements.

FZJ

Well I dont get looks unless I'm cruising at 5000 rpms. Plenty of loud ass Harleys ride around here and they don't get pulled over so I dont see why they would with us unless where racing around town being dicks. I'm thinking about running straight headers for a small moment. I like the sound. If I get pulled over Ill just say my can got crushed and I dont want to wait for it to come before I ride my bike.:D

Detrich

<old man's voice:> "whatdya say sonny?"

lol