Night Riding

jamesgarfield

So I just did my first 'night ride'...it was totally by accident and I have to admit, I was kind of scared at first. Once I actually started riding though, I found it so soothing. Anybody else have any thoughts on night riding. Everything I have read has pretty much told me to avoid it like the plague but I have a totally new outlook on night riding now!

tatty2012

Around my area, night riding is not so fun. Lots of deer and other random animals like to wander the streets at night, literally wander. You never know what's going to jump out in front of you, granted this does also happen during daylight, but you can actually see the side.of the road during daylight. I try to avoid night riding as much as possible. My .02...

jamesgarfield

haha okay that is definitely a reason not to like night riding! When I lived out east, my granny hit a deer when I was in the car...holy $hit, never wanted to do that again.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

Fenixgoon

i bought extra lights solely for the purpose of night riding. not that i do super long distances (maybe 10-20 miles?) and i most definitely don't push it on any back roads whatsoever...

but it can be quite nice, i'll say that :)

RoadTrip

I feel ya, night riding is definitely fun, I did a 100 mile trip once in the dark, I loved it. But, there were deer feeding on the side of the road nearly the whole way - so, yeah, that was my one and only trip like that.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

BKP

I *prefer* night riding... love it... Quiet, uncongested, tranquil... I simply like the dark...

We have plenty of critters here in Georgia to watch for... from deer, to possum, to the occasional armadillo, and black bear. However, I haven't had any problems using just the high beam (although, I'm looking into HID). Just a matter of being a bit more aware, and getting used to scanning the shoulders for those tell-tale reflective eyes...

... and of course all the rabbits:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2idFU01pe8"]Wabbit - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

bigpish13

I completely agree. I LOVED night riding! I live in So Cal and mostly highway. No deer or other varmints around. Aside from less traffic, I feel like I am more visible to others with my bike. I also have a lot of reflectors on both my bike and my jacket. It's a more serene experience so long as it's not a Friday or weekend when the drunks are out. But I would definitely suggest adding some more lights, reflective stripes, rear light modulator as well. Also be aware of potholes, cracks on the pavement by watching the cars rear light closely ahead of you.
Be Safe.

Y

yellowfz

Yeah night riding is fun. Gets a little cool at times in the low areas, but other than that it is as others describe it, tranquil.
First time I got my wife out on the road on her ride she was a little scared, but after a few miles and me talking to her through the headset, she relaxed and enjoyed it too.
Dogs, cats, deer, skunks, possums, raccoons, etc.... all pose dangers but so do we to them.
Loud exhaust help ward off potential path crossers ( is that a word?). :D

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member