new on the fz scene

skot689

Hey guys forgive me for this post as im new here and i did have a hunt around for a similar thread but found nothing. I'm based in australia (brisbane region) and im looking at my first road bike looking to give up the dirt bike scene and move onto something i can ride more often and the fz6r has caught my eye and im currently shopping around. So i ask the question on what i should look for in these bikes particularly im a mechanic so thats fine but any inside info from people whove spent time riding them and such would be appreciated. as for my second question in regards to price, I cant get my head around why i can buy a new one at a dealer out the door 0km for $9990 yet im seeing 2 year old ones with 5000 to 15000km for around 8500 to 9500k respectively, i cant see the value in a used bike when i can pay about a 1000 bucks more for a brand spanking new one any thoughts? cheers :)

ajones70

Hi! I bought mine in July as my first bike ever. I wondered the same thing about brand new vs used. The only conclusion I can come up with is that bikes hold their value unlike cars...

xleeb0y13x

I have to say while I was looking for a 0 mile 2012 I went with a 13 as I've never owned a brand new vehicle and this bike was kind of a gift to myself for years of hard work. I did look up the blue book on the 12 and 13 and the 12 took a big hit as soon as it left the dealer.

Sent while running with scissors.

VRIIClubby

welcome aboard mate,

Im new to the road bike thing aswell, I purchased my new '13 FZ6R nearly three months ago now, I decided to go new as the prices for the 2nd hand ones kinda oush you that way! The 2013 is a much better bike in Australia than the 2012 (power wise).

I paid under what you have put up for my white one, on road with all insurances etc was $9490 ride away, that was in Sydney, so hope it helps you out!

Unless there was a fairly new 2nd hander with exhaust and a few other things already done I wouldnt really consider it. If you only lose $2K max after 2-3 years owenrship then thats pretty bloody good I think! (compared to the $30K+ I lost on my car the day it drove out of the dealership) :(

yillbs

welcome aboard mate,

Im new to the road bike thing aswell, I purchased my new '13 FZ6R nearly three months ago now, I decided to go new as the prices for the 2nd hand ones kinda oush you that way! The 2013 is a much better bike in Australia than the 2012 (power wise).

I paid under what you have put up for my white one, on road with all insurances etc was $9490 ride away, that was in Sydney, so hope it helps you out!

Unless there was a fairly new 2nd hander with exhaust and a few other things already done I wouldnt really consider it. If you only lose $2K max after 2-3 years owenrship then thats pretty bloody good I think! (compared to the $30K+ I lost on my car the day it drove out of the dealership) :(
POwer wise? Restrictes or actual hp numbers ?

latony007

new vs used

Im with you guys, I better be saving some big time cash to go with used over new. For the main reason I don't want someone elses problems or screw ups and with a bike you want to be certain no one has done anything funky to it. I went searching for a dealer that had a 2012 left in july of this year and found one and got it out the door at 7k with all the lovely California tax and registration included. Obviously that means nothing down under though. My salesman was from New Zealand though and he said no haggling or deal making down there, whatever the sticker is you pay, that right down there too?

VRIIClubby

POwer wise? Restrictes or actual hp numbers ?
I posted that question up here a little while ago, trying to ascertain where the "gain" was,
From what I have found out the 2013 in Australia has a 30% power increase over the 2012 moidel, Im lead to believe that the restriction's where played with a little to get it closer to the 150kw per tonne rule we have for new riders.

but thats about all the knowledge I have been able to find, not much out there on it apart from some advertising BS from Yamaha.

Bozman

I bought mine with 1301 on it. One minor scratch on it. Here in the states it goes for 7900 and I picked it up for 6200. New is great, but if you can obtain a good used one then you can tons of dough.