New member welcome thread

applejax

Hey Everyone,

I'm George...aka GranTourer or GT for short... from Southern New Jersey. Just bought my first bike, a Raven black FZ6R.

Newb to bikes but I'm LOVING the FZ6R and riding in general! Like to say thanks in advance for the great community and wealth of knowledge in this forum :)
Welcome!

I'm always glad to see more nj folk!

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

DragonBlu

Welcome George from the far reaches of the West Coast. Enjoy the bike and ride safe!

pjhendrick

New guy in central Texas here. I've lurked for a while to read about basic maintenance. I have a 2009 model, second owner. I just replaced the cracking stock tires with Michelin Pilot Road 2's, and it's a world of a difference having tires that actually grip.

BKP

Welcome, George and PJ... Nice to see all that growing support of the 6R...

Ride safe, guys...

JSP

Super Moderator
Welcome!!!!!

Nova87

New member and new rider

Just picked up a 2009 FZ6R last weekend. Hadn't ridden a bike in 25 years so I signed up and completed the MSF course and bought it last weekend. Wouldn't you know the weather has been absolutely crappy since then....until today and I'm stuck at work.

Not confident enough to take my first real ride in the rain but hoping to get out there soon and enjoy the ride.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Nova87

Reading your post in the subscribed thread e-mail I was thinking you must be in NJ, LOL.

I rode this morning, it was a great morning for it and this afternoon will be fantastic, if you can keep away from traffic. Where in NJ? I'm in S. Plainfield, work in New Brunswick.
Live in Summit work in Livingston.

Grew up in upstate NY riding dirt bikes so this is a whole different animal.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Nova87

Went out for my first ride today

About 45 minutes in and around my neighborhood mostly between 25 and 40 mph and man I stink at lots of things. Shifting is choppy breaking is too hard.

Took my MSF course on a GZ 250 and this was a totally different experience. I had delusions of getting on the highway but I think I'm a few rides away from that.

Any advice on getting rid of first ride jitters??

BD1966

Not rode since 1999

Just got my 4th bike 2012 FZ6R after 13 yr lay off, hope it's like riding a bike, been spying on this forum for a while thanks for all that have written

GranTourer

Thanks for all the welcomes

Welcome George, whereabouts in SNJ? I'm in CNJ. (South Plainfield)
Moorestown/Cherry Hill south. As soon as I get more comfortable (and finish the break in) I'd like to start riding PA and down the shore.

Already have some twisty scenic roads in mind :D

GranTourer

About 45 minutes in and around my neighborhood mostly between 25 and 40 mph and man I stink at lots of things. Shifting is choppy breaking is too hard.

Took my MSF course on a GZ 250 and this was a totally different experience. I had delusions of getting on the highway but I think I'm a few rides away from that.

Any advice on getting rid of first ride jitters??
Hey Nova, welcome! I started out the same, gradually moving to busier and faster roads. Stopping completely at every stop so I can get in some clutch work and practice creeping up to intersections.

Once the bike breaks in more the shifts will be easier and smoother. What helped the most (for me at least) was adjusting the brake lever so it's closer to the grip and raising the seat so my legs weren't so cramped on the pegs.

Rob

'Q'
Elite Member

Chipmunk222

Ok, here I am, new member with a long way to go...

Greetings from Fredericksburg Va, new member and even newer FZ6R owner, picked up my bike yesterday, been slowly cruising through the neighborhood, doing fairly good on the straights, kinda good on the curves and freaking out on the hill in the gravel driveway....but getting it done, slowly. I even lived through my neighbors dog jumping out of the woods and chasing me down the street biting the front tire....ugh

Was a rider when I was a teenager, but got married early and had kids early, my youngest just turned 19.... now it's time for me to have some fun, or a mid-life crisis, whichever comes first....

JSP

Super Moderator
Welcome! :cool:

DragonBlu

Welcome to all you new guys. Sounds like you all have a good handle on beginning. Start out slow and work your way up to where you are comfortable. Frame sliders will save you a ton of money on the FZ6R or any faired bike for that matter. Ride safe!