New FZ6R owner

M76

I signed the paperwork yesterday, taking delivery thursday this week. Quite excited about the bike, I must say! I sold my first bike, a Ninja 500R two weeks ago.

I got an '09 in black. No mods planned yet but knowing me I'm sure I'll get into that soon enough...

Detrich

Congrats & welcome! :)

make sure to share some pics with us!

MikeN02

I signed the paperwork yesterday, taking delivery thursday this week. Quite excited about the bike, I must say! I sold my first bike, a Ninja 500R two weeks ago.

I got an '09 in black. No mods planned yet but knowing me I'm sure I'll get into that soon enough...
Oh man another Ninja 500R user! I had that as my first bike as well and picked up my FZ6R last january!

You're gonna love the switch from the carb to a FI, it's so much smoother. If you need any help with mods you can ask me and I'll let you know what I know, since we're both in the same shoes.

M76

Thanks Mike! Yeah, I've heard jumping from a 2-cylinder parallel twin to an inline-4 gives you a vast improvement in overall smoothness.

Bikegirl88

Enjoy the bike.

Yet another GTA person!

Bikegirl88

close ... it is Greater Toronto Area....

MikeN02

Thanks Mike! Yeah, I've heard jumping from a 2-cylinder parallel twin to an inline-4 gives you a vast improvement in overall smoothness.
Any thoughts about why you chose the FZ6-R over the Ninja 650R? I went yamaha over kawasaki and have never looked back.

M76

Any thoughts about why you chose the FZ6-R over the Ninja 650R? I went yamaha over kawasaki and have never looked back.
To me it was Yamaha's inline-4 vs. Kawasaki's parallel twin that was the dealbreaker. Having come off a Ninja 500R I knew that parallel twins vibrate a LOT.

Well, I picked up my bike today!!! Took it for 110km ride, a mix of country roads and highway. It has totally and utterly exceeded my expectations in terms of comfort and performance. The engine is totally vibration-free and smooth up until 6000rpm, a vast contrast to my Ninja500 which felt like riding a mechanical bull. Ok, not quite, but you get the idea. I got it up to about 130km/h (about 80mph), but something tells me the speedo may be reading a bit high. It was very smooth, although wind buffeting was pretty bad at that speed. I may need to invest in a taller windscreen. I adjusted seating position several times, alernating between tucking down under the windscreen and straightening out my back. Overall I found the riding position to be excellent (I'm only 5'6" - it's great to have a sporty bike that fits me this well).

I was naturally VERY nervous as I pulled out of the dealer's lot. My first impressions were that the throttle is quite sensitive, partially due to the fact that the FZ6R has a lot more torque than my Ninja... One thing I did notice though is that the throttle is pretty "jerky" when you let go or apply gas. Not a big deal though...

Overall I'm quite happy, looking forward to some great rides this summer!

MikeN02

To me it was Yamaha's inline-4 vs. Kawasaki's parallel twin that was the dealbreaker. Having come off a Ninja 500R I knew that parallel twins vibrate a LOT.

Well, I picked up my bike today!!! Took it for 110km ride, a mix of country roads and highway. It has totally and utterly exceeded my expectations in terms of comfort and performance. The engine is totally vibration-free and smooth up until 6000rpm, a vast contrast to my Ninja500 which felt like riding a mechanical bull. Ok, not quite, but you get the idea. I got it up to about 130km/h (about 80mph), but something tells me the speedo may be reading a bit high. It was very smooth, although wind buffeting was pretty bad at that speed. I may need to invest in a taller windscreen. I adjusted seating position several times, alernating between tucking down under the windscreen and straightening out my back. Overall I found the riding position to be excellent (I'm only 5'6" - it's great to have a sporty bike that fits me this well).

I was naturally VERY nervous as I pulled out of the dealer's lot. My first impressions were that the throttle is quite sensitive, partially due to the fact that the FZ6R has a lot more torque than my Ninja... One thing I did notice though is that the throttle is pretty "jerky" when you let go or apply gas. Not a big deal though...

Overall I'm quite happy, looking forward to some great rides this summer!
I hear you, also it's a switch from a carb to a FI. The carbs are really jumpy and shaky.

When I first rode the FZ6R I thought wow... this is a big bike, it's also high because of the seat. The acceleration sounds are different from the EX500 too, sounds like a futuristic bike.

M76

I actually didn't really think that the FZ6R felt much bigger than my Ninja-500. In fact I feel a lot more confident. I guess everything just feels more refined / tighter. What's also odd is that even though the bike weighs a good 60 lbs (or more?) than my old one I find it easy to maneuver at low speeds.

MikeN02

I actually didn't really think that the FZ6R felt much bigger than my Ninja-500. In fact I feel a lot more confident. I guess everything just feels more refined / tighter. What's also odd is that even though the bike weighs a good 60 lbs (or more?) than my old one I find it easy to maneuver at low speeds.
I felt the dash was a bit bigger, maybe it was me. Because you have the added air scoops near the dash so it looks a little bit bulker than the Ninja with just the fairing.

FZ6Ryder

New to the Site

Great to see alot of FZ6R Riders.
Just bought mine Saturday.
Love it, traded in my 2008 FZ1 Candy Red, Great Bike but taking too many chances and needed to slow down a bit or something worse could have happened. Best bike ever owned till the FZ6R came along.
I have been a FZ fan for 3 years now. Owned FZ6 Raven before ego's set in to go to the 2008 FZ1. More speed more danger.
Great bike the FZ6R, Yamaha Blue.
Much more comfort and nice throttle action to keep you smiling.
The Need for Speed went to the Need for Comfort with a great Inline 4.
Test rode the 2009 Kawi 650R, Versys, and Suz, V-Twins with the big can mufflers which were begging for some cookout calf meat. Could they make a bigger muffler? Twins are fun though.
After choosing to stay Yamaha, the FZ6R was the perfect fit.
Ride on, Ride for the reason Motorcycles were invented. FUN

Attachments

Roaddawg

Great to see alot of FZ6R Riders.
Just bought mine Saturday.
Love it, traded in my 2008 FZ1 Candy Red, Great Bike but taking too many chances and needed to slow down a bit or something worse could have happened. Best bike ever owned till the FZ6R came along.
I have been a FZ fan for 3 years now. Owned FZ6 Raven before ego's set in to go to the 2008 FZ1. More speed more danger.
Great bike the FZ6R, Yamaha Blue.
Much more comfort and nice throttle action to keep you smiling.
The Need for Speed went to the Need for Comfort with a great Inline 4.
Test rode the 2009 Kawi 650R, Versys, and Suz, V-Twins with the big can mufflers which were begging for some cookout calf meat. Could they make a bigger muffler? Twins are fun though.
After choosing to stay Yamaha, the FZ6R was the perfect fit.
Ride on, Ride for the reason Motorcycles were invented. FUN
Welcome. I think that says a lot about our bike...that you have owned both of the other models and are very happy with the FZ6R....Just don't go onto the sister sites and say that! :D

FZ6Ryder

Welcome. I think that says a lot about our bike...that you have owned both of the other models and are very happy with the FZ6R....Just don't go onto the sister sites and say that! :D
Thanks Roaddawg,
Only went to that site to find the right windshield for the FZ1. V-Stream made the best for that bike. On the FZ6, I had the Cee Bailey. Both worked great and served their purpose.
Now I am looking for a bit taller windshield for this model to complete the bike.
Added Gel Grips, and my Batman logos. Looks great and rides great.
Waiting on more threads about the Yamaha Double Bubble (Clear) before I go this route. Seems like it is the same size but looks great. Need one a little higher for the long hauls and interstate riding.
Your thoughts?

FZ6Raven

Welcome to the fz6r scene.. Joinin the rest of us for the meetup in Milton this Sunday?

Last edited:

Detrich

welcome welcome :)