new bike after FZ6R ???

dodges

Really thinking about get a Triumph Daytona 675 ABS as I am getting tired of my 2012 FZ6R any thoughts ? :mikebike:

Chucker

If you're looking for a SS riding position, go for it!

latony007

screw the SS riding position, it gets you nothing, the only reason they are even in the SS position is because thats what guys see on TV. If you are racing at the bikes absolute full capacity it probably does cut off a 1/10 of a second aero wise but how many of us are doing that? If you want to go up from the FZ6R the FZ1 and the Ninja 1k are the logical steps up as they still have a decent riding position. My nephew has a street triple which is fast and the position is not horrible on those but its naked and just not a great looking bike imo.

bmw675

screw the SS riding position, it gets you nothing, the only reason they are even in the SS position is because thats what guys see on TV. If you are racing at the bikes absolute full capacity it probably does cut off a 1/10 of a second aero wise but how many of us are doing that? If you want to go up from the FZ6R the FZ1 and the Ninja 1k are the logical steps up as they still have a decent riding position. My nephew has a street triple which is fast and the position is not horrible on those but its naked and just not a great looking bike imo.
.:smoking:

ksanbon

To me, the forward position affects more than aerodynamics. I felt a difference in the way my fz6r went into corners when I moved the handlebars forward and turned them down. shifting weight to the front wheel seems to make the bike turn in easier and hold the line better.
I've ridden my SS for a little over 500 miles and the difference in feel when cornering is significanlty greater.

Last edited:

Chucker

+1.... it's a lot more than just aerodynamics. Having said that, I don't see the point in a SS unless you're going to go to the track. I have a hard time getting to the limits of my FZ6R on the street, but have no problems getting there on the track.

latony007

To me, the forward position affects more than aerodynamics. I felt a difference in the way my 6r went into corners when I moved the handlebars forward and turned them down. shifting weight to the front wheel seems to make the bike turn in easier and hold the line better.
I've ridden my SS for a little over 500 miles and the difference in feel cornering is significanlty greater.
im not really arguing that, does a 6r handle better than an fz6r? yes. is it all because of the seating position, no. Does it help, yes but like i said its not something that is going to matter in your normal canyon. Going on the track is where that stuff comes into play imo.

+1.... it's a lot more than just aerodynamics. Having said that, I don't see the point in a SS unless you're going to go to the track. I have a hard time getting to the limits of my FZ6R on the street, but have no problems getting there on the track.
Thats basically what i was saying, yes SS affects the bike but because of a lot more than the riding position and as mentioned unless your on the track what is that going to get you? Same with Cars really, My bro has a BMW M3. Its an awesome car i can haul *** up the canyons in that thing so fast, however my brother uses it to drive back and forth to work in LA traffic so what does it get him that a regular 300 series BMW doesnt, nothing.

dodges

I just want a bike I can ride to work and go nuts on the weekends on I love the seating position on my FZ6R but the lack of power has me looking at different bikes :mikebike:

Chucker

Have you looked at a Fazer 8 or FZ1? I'm assuming you would want the fairing, so these are a couple of good choices that are similar to the FZ6R, but with more power.

RoadTrip

The SS riding position could be uncomfortable if the bars are really low or the reach is far, this can put you in a 'committed' position and you can't relieve the stress from your back. But, if you have long arms and reasonable ergos (e.g. gixxer), then you can pretty much sit upright between sets. Granted, it still takes awhile to get acclimated, but if you ride several hours a week, that is usually enough to get your body adjusted. Once acclimated, you really don't suffer at all, and you don't even think about the riding position anymore, you just ride as much as you want just like any other bike.

The reason for the lower bars has to do where your hands are during cornering, with upright bars your hands can end up level with your ears if you wanna get real aggressive and hang off in the corners. With the SS bars, your hands are about shoulder level, and feel like they are in a more natural position when hanging off. Also, the SS bars are closer in, so it's easier to brace your forearms against the tank when on the inside of the bike during a corner. Is it necessary to have the SS ergos for fun when cornering? No. Does it help? Yes.

So, if you are willing to go through the adjustment period (which could be up to a year), making peace with the aggressive SS ergos, then you might just find that a SS can make a great weekend warrior backroad toy; and all your concerns about being tortured turned out to be untrue. For me a SS is just a bike, it seems the reputation of the typical SS owner is one of an attention starved racer wanna be, but there are also SS owners that simply prefer this type of bike because of how it handles and rides.

Last edited:

stache

Supersports/superbikes are made for the track.
I am selling my fz6r and will get a track oriented r6/cbr/gsx-r for track days.

Yes, I will ride it on the street and will sacrifice comfort for what it will give me at the track: top end speed, turn in and braking power.

675 is a brilliant bike. Enjoy it. Just don't expect it to be comfy after an hour on public roads.

ksanbon

I just want a bike I can ride to work and go nuts on the weekends on I love the seating position on my FZ6R but the lack of power has me looking at different bikes :mikebike:
It would be great if you could find an SS to ride. The first thing I did when I brought my gixxer home was to ride it and the 6r on twisty roads back-to-back.
To me, the gixxer just felt right. It wasn't the speed or power (I still haven't experienced that because I'm still breaking it in) - I felt more confident because I had a better connection with it.
I really didn't understand the differences until I rode both.

Last edited:

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

dodges

I fully agree with what's being said about the riding position and when I got my FZ6R my shoulders and back hurt like a ***** but over time I got used to it and I'm very comfy on it now
I feel it will be the same with any new bike I get also the FZ1 or FZ8 are great bikes but if I was going to get and naked bike I think I would get the BMW F800R :mikebike::canada:

engineered2win

I don't buy this SS are for the track crap. Once you get used to the position, it doesn't hurt you to ride in an SS position.

With that said, the Triumph is a phenomenal bike with amazing brakes, and great handling. My buddy got his around the time I got my GSX-R and we regularly swap bikes, both are a blast to ride, I prefer mine, but definitely love getting out on his whenever I can.
Yah that's a load of ballocks. Say you want one because they look cool or whatever, but they're not comfortable for anyone that actually puts considerable mileage on their bike. One don't get used to the position any more than one get's used to a root canal or anything else uncomfortable. So I go out and buy an R6 that is my street bike so I can squid it up and what not. The nearest decent roads, Hocking Hills, are roughly 1.5hrs away and all highway. 3+ hours in the tucked position will be hell, or the other option is to sit up and brace my torso with my left arm on the tank without any upper body/head wind protection. Or what if I want to take the bike and visit my parents, who are 4 hours away. It would be stupid frankly. I am a cyclist and my road bikes have an aggressive riding position with a similar upper body postion to a super sport. It doesn't matter how fit you are you can only maintain the position for so long before the ergonomics catch up and you get tired and sore.

Also if you look on the motorcycle ergo website, the Daytona 675 is about the most aggressive seating position out there. It makes the r6 feel like a Goldwing.

Last edited:

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

latony007

Yah that's a load of ballocks. Say you want one because they look cool or whatever, but they're not comfortable for anyone that actually puts considerable mileage on their bike. One don't get used to the position any more than one get's used to a root canal or anything else uncomfortable. So I go out and buy an R6 that is my street bike so I can squid it up and what not. The nearest decent roads, Hocking Hills, are roughly 1.5hrs away and all highway. 3+ hours in the tucked position will be hell, or the other option is to sit up and brace my torso with my left arm on the tank without any upper body/head wind protection. Or what if I want to take the bike and visit my parents, who are 4 hours away. It would be stupid frankly. I am a cyclist and my road bikes have an aggressive riding position with a similar upper body postion to a super sport. It doesn't matter how fit you are you can only maintain the position for so long before the ergonomics catch up and you get tired and sore.
I agree, you guys that say the supersport is just as comfortable must be very young and it hasnt caught up with your back yet :). Its like saying an FZ6R is as comfortable as a cruiser.

the ninja 1000 is def an amazing bike! More than enough power and still has decent riding position
it is, and i think its one of the better looking bikes out there, i almost bought the ninja 650 cause it looked better than the FZ6R but i felt better on the 6R and loved the I4.