Need opinion

kevin8198

Elite Member
D

Deleted member 9794

I really want to get a Toyota and I really want an SUV.
Any particular reason or just brand loyalty (i.e. discount, previous experience, referral from friends/family)?

The only one in my price range right now is the Toyota Rav4. it looks pretty sweet, I haven't driven one yet though.
You definitely need to test drive the RAV4 plus competitive same class models before settling on the RAV4. Also see my long winded thoughts below...

Just wondering what you all think. Does anyone else have one? Does it seem like more of a girls SUV :rolleyes:?
I have ridden/driven a Mitsubishi Outlander, I believe their sizes are comparable. For me, 6'1", it's a bit small but if it was my only option I could make it work. I wouldn't call it a girl's SUV but definitely a pocket sized SUV. Also, I believe in this motto when it comes to vehicles: "The worst ride is better than the best walk". When I ride the FZ6R, I don't know what I look like on it unless I pass a big reflective glass window, so I don't care how others view me, "B!tch I'm on a bike!" ::pops wheelie, pulls off::

Thoughts anyone...
For $19k-$22k you have a fairly flexible price range (before taxes). Unless you're 100% against it, I suggest buying used. I got my 2008 Yukon Hybrid for $28k w/ 42,000 miles on it. Albeit I had to drive to Ohio to get it, it was definitely worth it for a $50k 20mpg full sized SUV. I used Yahoo Autos to find it.

Now with that being said, if you find one online that looks promising but it's too far away to drive, you can always get it shipped (it cost me $500 to ship my previous SUV 600 miles).

Toyota RAV4 - Here's one Michigan:
2010 Toyota RAV4
$19,700 - 8,687 miles

vs This one in Spokan:
2010 Toyota RAV4
$18,792 - 43,777 miles

So for $908 extra bucks plus a plane ticket to go check it out and $500 to have it delivered you could get 35,090 fewer miles on same vehicle (except for the 4WD but you get the point).

:zombie:

danieljardim

I really want to get a Toyota and I really want an SUV. The only one in my price range right now is the Toyota Rav4. it looks pretty sweet, I haven't driven one yet though. Just wondering what you all think. Does anyone else have one? Does it seem like more of a girls SUV :rolleyes:? Thoughts anyone...
Get a FORD Escape ;)

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

roundhouse

my sis has one. it's pretty decent but feels like such an econo box. as i suppose it should. i will say it would last a long time as it's a toyota.

to me, they are just so............generic. it is what it is. an SUV camry

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

RoadTrip

If you are a Toyota Fan boy, then get a Tundra CrewMax, buddy of mine at work got one brand new for $24K (he got $10K off, pretty standard discount), 4.6l V8, about 18mpg (not much worse than a lot of sedans).

I would pass on the RAV4, there are better choices in that class that are 'cool' instead of so 'sensible'.

danieljardim

I am a ford fan, and I drove a jeep liberty about 3 years ago and hated it!

Normally I drive a ford focus... I just though the liberty had too short of a wheel base and was too top heavy. (spun out turning into a gas station in northern Maine.)

I have rode in an escape and that seemed better.

I am not a fan of the short wheel base suv, reminds me to much of the geo tracker.

Personally I think the crossovers look and would probably drive better.
Right now entire FORD line is at 0 finance and if you gonna lease, best bang for the buck will be and EDGE or EXPLORER.

RoadTrip

Right now entire FORD line is at 0 finance and if you gonna lease, best bang for the buck will be and EDGE or EXPLORER.
yeah, and both those are a lot cooler looking than the RAV4, yes cool does matter to a lot of people - don't be afraid to buy non-Toyota, just get an extended warranty if you want peace of mind.

Rhinotjv

I love my used MDX. I bought it when it was 6 years old with 50,000 miles on it for $18,000. It's been super reliable, stylish, and comfortable. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365169278.306085.jpg

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Invader Jim

I really want to get a Toyota and I really want an SUV. The only one in my price range right now is the Toyota Rav4. it looks pretty sweet, I haven't driven one yet though. Just wondering what you all think. Does anyone else have one? Does it seem like more of a girls SUV :rolleyes:? Thoughts anyone...
I really like the FJ Cruiser but the MPG completely sucks. Maybe I am just getting old but I don't care what anyone thinks about the car I drive or the motorcycle I ride. I do it for me, not to impress anyone. Also, MPG is very important to me in a car/SUV. AWD/4WD is handy but I want both AWD and good MPG so options are limited. Good thing I am not in the market to replace my car.

kevin8198

Elite Member

danieljardim

Thanks for all the replies, it's good info to go into some test driving this weekend.

I had a Toyota a long time ago and ended up giving it to my brother and that thing took a huge lickin' and kept on tickin'. Also my girlfriends sister has had an '87 Corolla and driven all over the country with it for the last decade or more and has never given her trouble. That's kind of why I have my mind set on Toyota.

I guess I just have to get out there and test drive a ton of rigs and figure out what I want to get. I hate car shopping though:mad: Just wish I could ride my bike year round, maybe I need to move to a warmer climate.
If you drive anything FORD with an ecoboost engine you will love it. FAST and great MPG.

arse

i would seriously consider a used southern 4runner. amazing vehicles.

Pointman1776

Elite Member