Elite Member

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

BoneJj

Just an FYI, anything Class 6 or higher will allow for full HD @ 30fps 1080p / 720p120fps If you want to do more than that you will more than likely want to start looking at U1 which is slightly, slightly faster than Class 10, even though they are supposed to be the same thing, U1 cards tend do a couple things a little better then just basic Class 10. U2 is pretty hard to find though and most of the U2 models are only marginally faster than U1 as the tech hasn't gotten up to par to meet full U2 standards.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

BoneJj

I've never had an issue with the Sandisks... but it's always possible to get a bad one.

there are speed tests out there that show... to get the "class 10" rating, they do the tests on a new, formatted card with a certain number of reads/writes and get "pass" on the rating test. Real world, writing, erasing, reading shows that only a few of the cards use good components and maintain that class 10 rating over time. Sandisk is one, that hold up.... a few other ones I found from quick search:

Benchmark Results: Read/Write Throughput : 10 SDXC/SDHC Memory Cards, Rounded Up And Benchmarked

SDCardSpeedTests - CyanogenMod Wiki
It's more probably that it's a fake sandisk card. There are a lot of companies selling knock of sandisk cards. but if you buy from a reputable dealer then your chances of getting hosed are slim.

JSP

Super Moderator
Thanks. Just bought the 16 GB card from Amazon with the 2 gopro wasabi batteries and charger :D. $37 total. Free shipping.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

BoneJj

GoPro recomends: "The HD HERO camera supports SD/SDHC cards up to 32GB (any SD card over 2GB is considered a SDHC card). We recommend name brand SDHC cards, such as SanDisk, with a class 4 rating or higher."

So yeah, you might be fine... but again, getting that "rating" isn't always the same as real world use. Had a couple friends that got bargain basement "class 4" cards... they had so many issues... get a class 10 and you should be good

Having a class 10 and good card reader means less time retrieving the data as well. I haven't seen much on the U2 side of things, this card is "Class 10 UHS-1" rated, FWIW...
LOL, yeah most class 4 cards are just a joke as it is. For the price difference now though it really is pointless to get anything less than class 10. Though the sandisk extreme cards normally carry a price tag with them. I have a few of them and I only buy them when the DEALs come out. but right now I have 4 16gb cards and 2 32gb cards, I'm good for a while, lol.

JSP

Super Moderator
I had a Kingston Class 4 16 gb card for my first HD Gopro and never had a single issue with it. I am curious to see if I can see and notice a difference with the class 10 card that's coming.

BoneJj

I had a Kingston Class 4 16 gb card for my first HD Gopro and never had a single issue with it. I am curious to see if I can see and notice a difference with the class 10 card that's coming.
mostly you will see a transfer to PC time saving issue. That's typically where most people will see the difference.

JSP

Super Moderator
mostly you will see a transfer to PC time saving issue. That's typically where most people will see the difference.
Sweet. It did take some time transferring the files to the PC. That would be nice to have quicker transfers.

BoneJj

Sweet. It did take some time transferring the files to the PC. That would be nice to have quicker transfers.
You are basically doubling your speed in most cases going from 4 to 10. It should make things a lot easier in general. As long as your card read can keep up....

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member