My take on kryptonbulbs.com H4 Bi-Xenon HID kit

cmikew2

I ordered my kit(H4 Bi-Xenon HID kit 5000K) three weeks ago and got it one week after I placed the order for 50 bucks shipped. I received a call from Josh the day after I placed the order asking if it was for a car or bike. When I told him it was for a bike he said no problem and threw in a extender kit to reach the battery. Pretty good customer service in my opinion.

This was a time consuming install, but relatively simple. The kit seems pretty good except there is no included solution for mounting the ballasts and securing the wiring. I have seen several different ways of mounting the ballast on this form. My idea was to totally disassemble the fake intake cowling and drill holes to mount the ballast with zip ties. It turned out to be a really clean install. The hardest part of the whole install was definitely getting the rubber boot installed back over the bulb. I got pissed and just cut the damn thing. It still seems like a tight fit so I'm not too concerned. I will keep and eye to make sure no moisture collects in the headlight assembly.

The new headlight is awesome! Best 50 dollar mod out there. The light is much whiter and obviously brighter. The HI beams really reach out there. I saw a blacked out cop, parked perpendicular to the hi way in the median, from 700 or 800 meters out the other night. This lamp also really lights up the sides of the road much better, i.e. deer are seen much sooner.

I have attached some pics of my ballast install location. The first one shows the disassembled "intake cowling" where I chose to mount the ballast, you can also see where I ran the positive wire back to the battery and where I attached the ground to the frame(red and black wire just above the radiator cap). The second pic is the holes I drilled which are deep in the "intake" and can't be seen looking into the opening. The third is the ballast just hanging there before I tightened the zip ties. The fourth is a weird angle, it's taken looking up underneath the bike between the fork, with everything tightened down. Hope this helps anybody considering this HID kit.

Detrich

no b4 & after pix of the headlight? :lol:

cmikew2

The price is 50 when you choose the single bulb kit. Here is the link to the kit I bought.
H4 Bi-Xenon Slim Ballast HID kit
As far as quality goes it seems like a quality product. All the connections are fully weatherized and the ballast has a nice solid feel and seem well suited to deal with the elements. The only thing that would really suck is if the ballast failed cause I would have to redo the install minus the bulb assembly and take off all the plastic again. As far as the warranty goes I'm not sure I believe it has a straight up lifetime warranty on everything. When does anything electronic come with a lifetime warranty? I'm with MikeN02, we'll have to wait and see if Josh stands behind his product if someone here has a material failure. At the end of the day I'm not too concerned cause it was only fifty bucks and IMO it is a huge improvement of the stock bulb. Plus I could reinstall my old bulb in under five minutes if it does fail. Might not be a bad Idea to find a pelican case and stow the old lamp under the tail seat just in case.

Has anyone here personally experienced a failure with this kit before?

Last edited:

flyingminno

Bought mine from there too, and thus far I'm really happy with it. One a side note, I did have a bit of reliability issues for the first couple days but it was due to grounding and contact. Well I agree, it is a major improvement in visibility!

72racer

Elite Member

Chip

lets see how long it lasts . those cheep kits are known to puke out fast :eek:
can't really agree with this. i got my hids for my car from ddm tuning over a year ago. they are still running rock solid, plus they have a lifetime warranty.

Tmak73

can't really agree with this. i got my hids for my car from ddm tuning over a year ago. they are still running rock solid, plus they have a lifetime warranty.
I looked at ddm but for the life of me I could not figure out how to find the kit for the fz6r. I was wondering if anyone had a link for that site. Otherwise I like what I am hearing about the krypton bulb package.

Tmak73

A question on the krypton bulbs package. Did the ballast plug into the bikes harness alright? i just wanted to make sure there wasn't any connectivity issues with it.

flyingminno

A question on the krypton bulbs package. Did the ballast plug into the bikes harness alright? i just wanted to make sure there wasn't any connectivity issues with it.
Everything was plug and play, no real issues. I did have an issue of the fuse shorting on the frame, but that was quickly fixed with electrical tape!

Tmak73

Just ordered my single bulb H4 6000k bi-xenon from krypton bulbs. Can't wait to see how it looks!

firefighter57

I also got the 5000k kit from them. My mom got it for me as a gift and accidentally got the double kit rather then the single. Josh was pretty accomidating to get me a refund of the difference. I haven't really had a chance to test it out though because I got it for christmass and it hasnt stopped snowing here since.

flyingminno

Cool pics. Anyone installing it in the future, I recommend bolting everything under the instrument gauge panel. Will provide pictures at request.

flyingminno

Im gonna buy one and would like to see where you installed it
Here ya go. No drilling or cutting needed in this install. Just a bit of sanding for the ground you see in the center. The ballast bolted easily on the right, and i managed to find open spaces to zip tie the rest of the boxes.

Attachments

Tmak73

The guy who runs the krypton bulbs site has made a forum for yamaha as well. Everyone is welcome to join! Yamaha-forums.com

ajiribarren

Here you go. The 5000k is a really nice clean white, with just a hint of blue.
I finally installed a Kit by DDM that I bought about 6 months ago, a 4300 K bulb, but It looks white as hell! I thought It was going to look a lot more like the OEM light, just brighter, but it looks kind of blueish... What's a 4300K supossed to look light? Any one have that color on their bikes?

Cheers