My First Year

romulan

My first riding season has come to end and a few thoughts have come into my brain. First thought is i should have bought a bike years ago, so many miles lost. I can't go back in time so I will continue looking forward.

Total mileage in my first year is 12, 320 kms. I have no idea what that is in miles. No crashes, no drops or tickets. I got pulled over twice, once for a "license check" and once for a warning about hanging off the side of my bike while cornering.

Some things I learned:

1. When stopped at a light or in traffic watch my mirrors so you can see who's about to hit you.

2. Always assume cagers will do the wrong thing at the worst time

3. Racing is for the track

4. Look where I put my foot down, rocks move and gum does not come off easily

5. Earplugs and Advil double my range

6. Never engage in oil threads

It's been a great season with many more to come, I met some great people, rode some great roads, and smashed a lot of bugs. This winter can not end soon enough, those of you lucky enough to live in the south enjoy the rest of the winter, ride safe and know that I am jealous of your extended season.

Special thanks to bobski for the mini tour of Kelowna and the sight of two FZ6Rs in go fast blue parked side by side and another thanks to xtrawild for the sliders (still haven't used em!):canada:

Jay S.

I'm on my 20th year of riding and I learn something new every year. Those that say they are past the point of learning...scare me as much as cagers. Great thread and insights brother, thanks for sharing.

:thumbup:

F

FZ6R_Blue

My 1st riding season is drawing to a close as well and i learn a lot this year as well.

1-Wind sucks but heavy rain at 65+ sucks worse
2- The unspoken connection between riders is stronger than i ever knew
3- Mistakes will be made lessons will be learned but its how you move on from them that will improve or hurt your growth as a rider.
4- Progressive SUCKS
5- Warm weather and clean roads cannot come soon enough!

I put on 6k miles this year and i hope to double that next year.

bobski

We should do something between Vancouver and Kelowna next year. Go blue. Cheers man!

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

ElecGod

Elite Member

djf18374

Well as my second riding season draws to a close I've learned many of the same things everyone eles has already said. What has been my biggest problem has been finding some RESPONSIBLE people to ride with. I've found out I'm not much of a one man wolf pack. But I also found out I made an excelent choice in my fizzer!!
Hey, I see youre from Syracuse. Do you ever ride a little west toward Rochester? I would for sure be game for a meet up and ride. I find it hard to get a group together that is responsible...I end up riding alone a lot which is not as much fun.

Second season coming to a close, and I am feeling more and more nervous riding around here. I keep hearing about riders going down, getting clipped by cagers, or just being stupid and wiping out in single vehicle mishaps. I know I ride cautiously, but I have no control over what others on the road are doing, and that terrifies me some days. What I focused on this year is to keep riding, get familiar with the bike and don't push my limits. Be ATGATT and hope there are some good people out there who actually look out for motorcycles. So far so good, and I hope to keep the rubber down until the bike goes into storage!

CrazyCawi

My riding season is still going, with nearly 13k put on the bike since my purchase in march.

I learned that corners can be taken at much higher speeds leaning off the bike properly than leaning the entire bike down.

I learned that group rides are most of the time filled with dicks, and people who dont go slower than 100mph.

I learned to treat every cager like they are on their cellphones.

I also learned that if I trust my bike, wind wont affect me. I learned that commuting is the core area where I got to do most of my riding. I would love to do more spritited rides but I didnt trust my touring tires as much from the flat spots from commuting. I learned that riding in the rain is some of the most enjoyable times to ride.

I learned the bond between my bike and I is like nothing I have ever expirienced. When I am on her, the world fades and I become one with the bike. I dont treat it as an invinsible feeling, I treat it as though I am part of the bike.

I learned their is a fine line between confidence and arogance, and that fine line decides rubber side up or down. I like to keep rubber side down. I progressivly dislike wearing a ton of gear in my commute but I force myself to.

Ulimately I learned I have a whole family here, and with that I wouldnt trade it for the world.

ElecGod

Elite Member

yfz6r

Bikes really are hard to see. I haven't driven a car since christmas break 2 semesters ago but every time i'm in one, I feel so confined and can't see crap compared to full view on the bike.

OP, in regards to watching where your feet are, watch for water. On an oily road, water is like ice. Also, when leaving a parking lot or gas station and they are hosing the lot, that water gets on your tires so you may slide when you get to the road and take off. It's not the end of your season. I ride my bike every day through the winter so I don't have to worry about the battery or fuel or anything.

Bloke

Bikes really are hard to see. I haven't driven a car since christmas break 2 semesters ago but every time i'm in one, I feel so confined and can't see crap compared to full view on the bike.

OP, in regards to watching where your feet are, watch for water. On an oily road, water is like ice. Also, when leaving a parking lot or gas station and they are hosing the lot, that water gets on your tires so you may slide when you get to the road and take off. It's not the end of your season. I ride my bike every day through the winter so I don't have to worry about the battery or fuel or anything.
Things to avoid:

Diesel on road
Riding in a very misty light drizzle (brings oils to surface but doesn't wash them away, makes roads really greasy)
Manhole covers and drains (don't contemplate riding over it at a lean when wet, you will end up on your arse)
Painted lines (again deadly when wet)
Potholes (straighten your bars instantly, throwing you off of a lean)

That said though, I love riding in the rain when you've got the right kit on to stay dry and warm, it's lush.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk