My Bike Melted!

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

pyrocpu

If I remember correctly, there is a layer of sticky foam that bridges the space between the instrument cluster and the windscreen... perhaps it's that??

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
^^^^ Agreed!

DragonBlu

Seriously! I got home this evening and noticed top rim of the plastic housing of the speedo/tachometer had melted. It looks like the windshield (clear Yamaha Double Bubble) acted as a magnifying glass at some point during today's heat (it was 97 in the shade when I got home at 7pm today).

Has anyone else ever seen this? I'm starting to wonder - if the sun through the windshield can melt plastic, what if the sun hits it slightly differently and it hits the tank!
That a bummer! The Puig windscreen I bought had a warning in the box about parking in sunlight and it may cause damage to the other parts of the bike due to magnification. Mine is Black so I don't think it will be a problem.

Detrich

"dislike!"

yah- ask the dealer and see whats up with that & let us know...

gizmogirl

Another thought...

While I would believe there was a magnification situation here, I should tell you that I am getting a new instrument unit tomorrow due to a possible over heating situation. :confused:
I noticed a discoloration of my lcd screen that got worse as the ride progressed. It was always in the same area and eventually became a permanent stain. Yamaha has agreed to foot the but are "PUZZLED" as to the cause! It too was in the upper portion of the screen nearer to the right side while facing it.
FYI.....

ry-mac75

:needpics:

Let's see what the damage is, eh?

lmacasiljig

Yeah pics please...

I live in California too and it was 100f yesterday. I always parked my baby inside my garage but just in case I need to know how to avoid this situation.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Down here in Louisiana, we have had 20+ days with temps at or above 100 degrees so far this summer. My bike is parked in the sun all day everyday. I have not noticed any melting plastic. Granted, my windscreen is painted black, so no magnifying effect for me.

dannymac702

Here in vegas we are going on 50 days in a row with 100+ temps. It's not often that I have to leave my ride parked in the sun but yesterday I saw a Harley with a partial cover made by cycleshades.com (sorry-I don't know how to provide a easy link) Ordered the generic one last night. Will post a review and pics(if I can figure out how to do it without beating computer with a pool cue) ASAP --- cost with shipping $52.66

btastarsky

So if it's 97 degrees in the shade, it makes me wonder one thing.......which circle of hell are you riding/living in? :eek:

But on a serious note, a dark shield probably would prevent that. My yamaha black double bubble was $97.

Back To Reality

Any chance you bought the bike second hand from a fellow who said his name was Mr. Rider...as in Ghost Rider?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjcdCfJlzMo]YouTube - Ghost Rider ( Johnny Cash )[/ame]

creggur

A friend of mine mentioned this phenomena when he installed a double bubble style on his CBR1000 - apparantly it has happened on a number of those bikes and has been discussed on the Fireblade forums. He went with a tinted model to reduce the chances... So, it's not unheard of...

I'll see if I can find a link to the discussion later - gotta get ready for work...

toddjcruz

Ok, now I know I'm not crazy. I saw something very similar on mine, wondered if I did it while working on my windscreen.

Now that I see yours, I get it. I must have had the same thing happen to me! I'll get some pics tonight.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member