My 09 is puking

78whiteorbs

New to me 09 I been converting to xj6.

Took her out for some shake down runs today and when she gets up to 212 degrees fan kicks on but sounds not very good. Speed fluctuates . At 212 she starts puking out the overflow vent and there's a steam show .

What's the order to check here?

Stuck thermostat,
bad pump not pumping what else?
Rode just as fine as I'd expect sounds smooth. No chocolate milk....

I was thinking flush refill and change thermostat and see what happens .
How do I test or check and make sure water pump is doing it's thing as it should?

Half-Click Up

Sounds like you're already on the right track with your ideas for investigation. If you can't verify its coolant swap history, then I'd go ahead and do that first. The fact that it waits for 212 (fan on) certainly may point to a sticky thermostat. Gonna have to get the throttle body assembly, etc. out of your way to get to it. Hose removal is required, too for that, so that coolant swap should be performed either way.

As for the water pump, odds are you would have began hearing the ceramic washer squeal leading up to any failure... so if it's running quiet, I'd focus on coolant change and thermostat functionality.

Great looking street fighter setup too, by the way... good work.

78whiteorbs

Thanks man, I have literally put 2 miles on it sense I have owned it. I got it back running after sits for quite sometime as a recovered bike.Got it running and since plastics were already toast figured might as well.

Engine sounds great.
Sometime this week gonna install a new t-stat and top her back up. Where can you get a good service manual for these bikes. Actually have two now. Picked up another for dirt cheap for parts but it's too nice. It was laid down so if this one turns out well might do the same thing IDK .

Rumpig

Fan should start at 212 and go off at 221.
Radiator cap could be the problem to , check that.
Google FZ6RC PDF you should find the manual.

78whiteorbs

So I had time to ight to observe with the radiator cap off tiny bubbles when I revved. Is this air bubbles or do I have a blown head gasket and these are exhaust gas bubbles?

78whiteorbs

Well today I did the hydrocarbon test and the fluid stayed blue it didn't turn yellow as it would if there was indication of a failed head gasket or combustion gases so that's kind of cool. But it's still boiling over at 2:12 so maybe it's just a bad or stuck thermostat you want to order a new one and replace that. Also the check engine light came on I don't want to check that?

Half-Click Up

Well today I did the hydrocarbon test and the fluid stayed blue it didn't turn yellow as it would if there was indication of a failed head gasket or combustion gases so that's kind of cool. But it's still boiling over at 2:12 so maybe it's just a bad or stuck thermostat you want to order a new one and replace that. Also the check engine light came on I don't want to check that?
Go with the thermostat.. it's cheap and will mostly cost you the time it takes to swap it out. As for the code, there is a way to put the cluster into a diagnostic mode that will reveal what code it's throwing. Wouldn't surprise me if it was cooling system related. I don't recall exactly how to get into that diagnostic mode, though.