maintance reset

bandito

I bought my 09 FZ6R a week ago.I was going to change the oil and air filter. Is there anything else I should consider? Bike has 22,000 kms on it.

FastFreddy

Unless there's been a fastidious owner previously, you'd probably need new chain and sprockets as well.

I'd check the brake pads for replacement. My rear pads wear out quick because I use the rear brakes alot.

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

latony007

Unless there's been a fastidious owner previously, you'd probably need new chain and sprockets as well.

I'd check the brake pads for replacement. My rear pads wear out quick because I use the rear brakes alot.
New Chain and sprockets at 13,500 miles? i think they go a little longer than that? You might want to bleed the brakes they say every 2 years or so on the fluid but its probably BS. They also say the lines after 4 years i think. Make sure you use a K&N so you can get it off nice and easy next time :)

FastFreddy

OEM uses a paper filter. I prefer paper filters myself, looks like greater filtration than a sponge in oil to me.

Bert-Aus

Otherway around Fred,
Paper filters with oil allow greater volume of air to pass through whilst filtering.
K&N filters in particular allow for greater air flow (compared to OEM), but in doing so the filter is less likely to capture smaller particulates.

Foam with oil filter very well, but they dont breath as well as paper filters.
In saying that, foam filters require a little more effort to look after but they do filter better than paper -when well maintained.

If you want high volume output from your bike, you will want high volume input.
Either way they work, more smog/ dusty environs I would keep with OEM. If really dusty areas are regulary ridden, maybe consider changing to Foam filter.

EDIT
OEM is not K&N, looks similar but K&N has greater flow rate (ie filters less but still enough)
The K&N will give you a little bit more oomph (don't know exact amount, but it is a little)

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

latony007

I really wasnt looking at that, i have a had a ***** of a time getting regular filters off on my cruiser and the yamaha wasnt particularly easy either but nothing like my cruiser which i wound up having to puncture a long screwdriver through to turn the SOB and there is no room anywhere. So i only buy K&N with the nut on the end, takes 5 minutes now. I have to wonder why no one else does that makes it so much easier.

As for air filter i have not replaced mine on either bike yet, everyone seems to say K&N is the best and others say you have to adjust the bike, K&N has the main advantage you can wash and reuse it a couple times right?

bandito

Ya I read that interval in the manual after I downloaded it. I would like to replace it anyway with paper OEM. Bike has no mods and I don't plan to do any mods as far as performance goes so I will stick with OEM. I didn't see any reason to change the chain and scrocket. When I had it safetied they garage didn't say anything and they look to be in good condition. I will probably do the brake lines this winter.

Thanks for everyone's help so far.

Bert-Aus

Ya I read that interval in the manual after I downloaded it. I would like to replace it anyway with paper OEM. Bike has no mods and I don't plan to do any mods as far as performance goes so I will stick with OEM. I didn't see any reason to change the chain and scrocket. When I had it safetied they garage didn't say anything and they look to be in good condition. I will probably do the brake lines this winter.

Thanks for everyone's help so far.
In the maintenance manual it shows you how to calculate if your chain & sprockets are worn, cant remember the measurements of the top of my head, but it is in there...
If you look it up it will show you step by step, how to check it yourself

FastFreddy

I don't think its so simple with the "more flow = more power" as the entire intact tract is obviously accoustically tuned. You lose low end torque when you change from OEM filter, confirmed with butt dyno.