Madstad is on the bike!

toddjcruz

The Madstad Engineering adjustable windscreen has been installed. Expect a better write-up and more pics soon.

I have included the final pics of the install, this is the windscreen in the near highest position, but not as upright as it could be. This thing has an unlimited combination of adjustments you can make, so I'm going to be playing with it over the next few days, with low, high, low/high rake and see what I can do.

In the current position (near highest) with a bit or rake and pulled away from the base plate, the wind noise is almost non-existent! Air flows over my helment and around me at 65 mph. When I feel the airflow coming from under the windscreen, it's only about 2" deep and clings to the inside of the windscreen and then up and reconnects with the main airflow coming off the front of the windscreen. Very cool. No turbulence at all inside the protected area.

Worth the money. I might have gone with the taller windscreen so that I could keep the screen lower as some air gets under the windscreen when in it's highest position (around the sides as the FZ6R is so narrow), so with the taller one, I could leave it a bit lower and solve that.

I opted for the smoke color and in the highest position, there is no visibility issue as you still look over the windscreen.

More to come.

Attachments

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Roaddawg

That looks pretty good. Better than I expected. I'd like to see pics of it in multiple settings, if you get a chance.

toddjcruz

I ran out of daylight to take pictures of it in different positions. Tomorrow after work I'll take some shots of it low, med and high and with different rake angles.

It adjusts in all different ways, you can keep it close to the bike or give it more space. You can even get it strait up and down if you want! Should provide hours of entertainment. LOL.

WANDERER

That's the way I dreamed of setting up an FZ6R, hopefully mine.

fz6rwolf

exactly what's needed for long slab rides. good job.

JnT4Life

I'm interrested in seeing it in the lowest 'sporty' position.

J.J.

I really like that & having the same color bike totally want one now. I am really thinking of adding a set of atv hand guards as well. One of the people I ride with has them on her V-Strom.
Thanks for the pics and looking forward to more & ride reports.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member
Last edited:

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Closer to $300 if I remember....

toddjcruz

Yep, 279 plus shipping. But as I've learned the hard way, you get what you pay for. Already wasted 90 bucks on a double-bubble that did nothing but lighten my bank account! After spending clost to 700 for my hard bags, this seems cheap.

DragonBlu

Looks really functional for touring. That must have been you I spotted headed west on 26 by the Hillsboro exit around noon on Sunday?

toddjcruz

Don't think so. I'm in Lake Oswego, so chances are you will see heading out the Wilsonville hwy out to Newberg, then out the Hillsboro to Laurelee (I think thats what its called).

We do longer touring rides on the weekends. Leave around 8 (breakfast someone of course), out to the coast for lunch, then back in by 4 or 5.

Weekend before last we took off out Battleground, our to Cougar throug the back road.

Although I do go to the Viawest datacenter out there just past 185th on Evergreen!

toddjcruz

Sorry about these pics, I just didnt get a good look at them and I didnt get any from the front. Ran out of daylight to get them all and now its raining!

I'll try and get some from the front and try and get some better animated pics too.

Here is the link to the Madstad photos with more side pics as well as the final tour setup

Madstad Install

Touring Setup

fz6rwolf

great looking set-up!!!

owldaddy

OK Todd, what is the final opinion of your set up now that you have had a chance to play with it. I see that others have tried different screens, some even resorted to making their own. I have a feeling yours is working well, it allows air in behind the screen through the bottom. This should keep buffeting down. Less wind noise as well. Is the air flow smooth behind the screen?

toddjcruz

I am very happy with the windsceen. Worth every penny. I did move the windscreen a bit closer to the bike at the bottom and a bit higher to remove all wind related issues. The ability to adjust it as needed is really the best part.

I do wish I had purchased the 23" screen not the 18", as the base of the factory fairing is rather narrow, there is a gap on below the left and right side of the Madstad winscreen now that I have it up as high as it is. A 23" would let me lower it 4 inches and close that gap. Other than that, having a windscreen where you can control the amount of air that passed under and through the back side of the windscreen is a must. The air flowing under clings to the back of the madstad windscreen all the way to the top, where it meets with the airflow from the front of the windscreen. This reduces a lot of the turbulence.

Most important, this windscreen can meet ANYONES needs. My problem with the fixed ones was that it may work great for one person, another might find it wrong alltogether. With this, you can taylor it to your needs. In summer, I expect I will have it lowered all the way down to mimic the stock.