Lwclancers - Projector Retrofit

lwclancers

Similar to JT, I am getting the headlight retrofit job done :)

Today is my breakdown day, tomorrow I should be sending it off! I will post pics of my breakdown, then reassembly, and more than likely speed bumps that get in my way haha.

First up is to clean up my garage and working area and baggies for labeling so I dont lose screws and parts ;)

kevin8198

Elite Member
Last edited:

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

lwclancers

Ill try to go along with the sequence of pics...

1. Remove the lower triangular piece behind the wheel connecting the 2 fairings. 4 bolts hold it on
2. Remove the 4 upper bolts on the fairings
3. Remove the 2 lower bolts on the fairings
4. On the upper fairing bolts, there are thin plastic washers behind them, make sure you get them off so they dont scratch when being put back on
5. Behind where the lower triangular piece was, there is a pin-fastener. Press the little tab IN, this will unlock the fastener, and you call pull it out.
6. Behind the fairing, disconnect the turn signal: Pop up that little tab just a little, and the connections will separate
7. Do the other turn signal (this is the right side, from the POV of the front of the bike looking back and under the fairing)
8. Remove the upper piece between the fairing and the dash: there is one pin-fastener at the top, and a bolt at the bottom
9. Pull this piece back towards the tank...once loose rotate UP...the middle lip will then come loose more easily (seen in the left of the pic)
10. Remove the 2 pin-fasteners on the dash.

Attachments

Last edited:

lwclancers

11. Remove the 2 bolts for the dash
12. Pull the dash towards the tank, it will come loose and you can lift up and remove it.
***I had a pic here for removing the mirrors, but saving pics due to reserved post and pic limits. Just remove the 2 nuts and the mirrors will come out. Then remove the rubber insert...keep note that little metal inserts in the rubber insert tend to pop out. I can post a pic later in this thread if anyone needs me to
13. Remove the 4 bolts holding the air intake pieces. The 2 blue circles take note, there are small rubber washers on the back, reach behind and hold them so they dont fall. The 2 green circles are just the bolts
***Slide the air intake forward, towards the wheel
15. After getting the air intake disengaged, pull the back fastener out, then the piece will be fully removed
16. Back at the headlight:
a. Remove the 2 green screws
b. Remove the 2 blue bolts
c. DONT remove the 2 red bolts ;) I accidentally did these...its ok, but the bracket will then come off with the light and youll have to put them back later. No big deal, but save yourself 4 minutes and remove the blue bolts instead.
17. The front faring and light are now loose, only thing holding it is the light connector
18. Pull the turn signal wires through the plastic strap so they arent connected anymore
19. Pull the light connector out...straight back
20. Remove the one screw at the top of the wishbone...

**The light is now free! (No more room for pics since I reserved these posts for pics)

**Remove the wishbone from the light housing if you are doing any retrofit work. Take the brackets off the housing if you removed the wrong bolts like I did ;) Go put the brackets back on the bike.

I also took more pics...probably overkill for this thread, but, wanted to have some photo memory for when I put everything back together incase I forget. Also, I put everything in individually labeled baggies for re-assembly.

Attachments

Last edited:

lwclancers

[Reserved for new light upon arrival]

lwclancers

[Reserved for reinstall 1]

lwclancers

[Reserved for reinstall 2]

lwclancers

[Reserved for reinstall 3]

lwclancers

[Reserved for reinstall 4]

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

lwclancers

You know, I think that two re-install posts is plenty. I think you can do 10 pics each post.
For some reason I thought it was 5, but, I think youre right. But Ill do 2 reinstall posts...and 2 posts posing the bike with the lights on to impose more jealous rants and lots of envy :steve:

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member