Leathers and Texas Heat

Deathdiesel

Hey guys, good news is I got the bike paid off this month. So Im going to invest in some good leathers I think. I already have protective gear, wear everything but overpants 100% of the time, mostly because the ones I bought arent comfy.

My question is to you guys; are leathers IE Leather jacket, leather pants, and gauntlet style gloves, bearable in Texas heat? In 90* temps? Ive ridden in 100*+ before, and it was almost unbearable on stops. Highway wasnt so bad, but at a stoplight its like I was roasting.

Also, if it is wearable in those temps, would it have to be perforated leather? If so how does perforated leather block wind in the cold compared to textile jackets? Cause if im gunna spend that kind of money on a jacket and gear id like to get more than 2 seasons out of them. Right now for comparison im rocking an Icon Overlord Textile Jacket, A* Air something boots, and Icon perforated gloves.

Thanks, DD. :D

RoadTrip

I got some new leather gear for this summer, at first I was thinking it was cool enough, but turns out you really need to be highway speed for the perforation to work. At slower speeds anything over 90F becomes uncomfortable as compared to high perf textile or mesh, so I ended up wearing mesh gear this summer again, after all (although I can't wait to get back in my leathers).

Concerning cooler weather, perf leather is going to let the chill in, however many of them come with wind blocking liners that help some; but undergarments are still needed to fill the gaps otherwise a draft is going to get in there. I wouldn't recommend non-perf leather, though, that will have limited use in Texas, just get don't buy a racer tight fit on the perf so you have room for undergarments.

Bert-Aus

I only have leathers and here in Aus when it gets 40c (104f) it gets a fairly uncomfortable, especially in traffic.

What I discovered last summer on a 45c day was a bandana soaked in cold water as a neck scarf.
It acted like evap cooling inside my jacket, actually made it really comfortable for about an hour of spirited riding.
Also helped keep my neck from getting sunburn.

Another thing is I always wear a skull cap with the intention of saving my helmet from getting to stinky,
But on hot days I wet that before putting on my lid, which helps to keep cool too.

Last edited:

roundhouse

i tried but it was too uncomfortable sitting in traffic. i just wear mesh textile. i realize it is not as good as leather but i can't get to work and be soaked in sweat

Bert-Aus

Yep in summer I do end up smelly like well abuse sport socks!

JonKerr

Elite Member

Detrich

^ ditto that.

Too hot to ride today. Plus i read online all the canyon roads have been packed with families going to play in the rivers/ mountains. Traffic would've sucked too i imagine....

Ivan_13

I was in Texas for a week a couple of weeks ago.. While I was exploring Austin, I saw a few guys riding in t-shirt/shorts, and NO HELMET! I was shocked. Guy was riding an R1, and the other a Gsxr. Had no idea helmet laws are not existent in Austin Texas.. Quite scary actually

roundhouse

I was in Texas for a week a couple of weeks ago.. While I was exploring Austin, I saw a few guys riding in t-shirt/shorts, and NO HELMET! I was shocked. Guy was riding an R1, and the other a Gsxr. Had no idea helmet laws are not existent in Austin Texas.. Quite scary actually
we were down there recently too. amazing how many folk ride without gear..................or a shirt. nuts

Hellgate

You think Texas is bad try Oklahoma. I think i'm the only person who wears proper gear; eg: not a pirate outfit.

I saw this douche bag a couple of weeksago.

uploadfromtaptalk1378045332374.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

yillbs

Im just outside of austin, inbetween houston and austin anyways. but the guys around here generally wear most of there gear. I wear a leather / mesh mix and regular jeans. plus,.. my helmet of course. sometimes i want to take off the jacket and just leave it where i stopped for some water... but that's not gonna happen. It sucks, and from time to time when i run up the road, or just kill some time around town, i'll just wear shorts, and a shirt, i'll wear my helmet, but shorts and shirt for just around town rides. I know it's still not safe.. but it's just to hott... just to hott.

JonKerr

Elite Member

Detrich

Wow, great price. Cortech is sponsoring some racers now. So their stuff should be getting better.

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

ArmyFZ6R

Houston

FINALLY im back in Houston (HOME) for few weeks :steve: and I've had been riding a little bit. Damn is hot!!!!! But I'm always wear full gear, no leather but with textile. The weather is Definitely a big different from Kentucky.
I've seen too many riders with no gear here, and i mean NO GEAR.:eek: I dont know how they can with the crazy cagers we have in Houston.

Ivan_13

You think Texas is bad try Oklahoma. I think i'm the only person who wears proper gear; eg: not a pirate outfit.

I saw this douche bag a couple of weeksago.

View attachment 31104

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Some people will wear their gear. Some wont. We can't judge them based on their decision. They're adults and can decide for themselves.

This guy riding without gear doesn't make him a douche bag.. You're just being mean.lol

latony007

leather

I wear a very thick leather jacket with the armor and boots but just jeans for pants. I really don't want to have to spend 20 minutes getting ready to ride or 20 minutes divesting myself of the stuff when I get where im going. This stuff looks as bad as when I go scuba diving. It was really hot this weekend but I bit the bullet and took my jacket with me (and your right it was crowded as hell at the beach, traffic was ridiculous on PCH but at least we got to lane split) anyway my buddy wearing nothing kept asking me how comfy I was (it was close to unbearable until we hit the beach) and telling me he would have left the jacket on the side of the road.

Cerebus

I have a heavy Dainese leather (perforated) jacket. I can wear it up until about 85 and it's bearable. That's with Maryland/Mid-Atlantic humidity. Beyond that and I have to be moving constantly or I become uncomfortable very quickly.