Laid the bike down after being hit by a deer

Fzara2000

You're about less than 30 seconds from where I live. I know that area very well.

Hope you're doing better and good luck with the repairs.

I've actually been unable to fix my bike at all. I priced it out and it should be about $300-$400. I just don't have any money :(.

My chain rusted a little too... I don't know if that's something I absolutely need to replace.

After a long wait, I'm finally starting to order parts to get my bike working again.

* Mirrors
* GYT Folding Gear Shifter Lever

Still need a few more parts, but it's all cosmetic.

What I'm noticing now is, my chain has a really loud rattle when I get it into 3rd gear or higher when it's on the stand. I read on the forums and it sounds like it's normal, but it's never been this noisy.

When the bike went down, I hit the deer with my front tire only and it literally just tipped over and slide 15' or 20'. I was going about 25 mph. I can't imagine I have any serious damage at that speed if it only slid.

When I dumped my bike the 1st time, I didn't have any chain rattle when I continued to ride it.

The bike was left out for a few days and it got rained on. I took a wire brush, WD40, chain lubricant, and chain wax to the entire chain. I got most of the rust off, but am still hearing the noise.

I take it this is normal?

BrueThru

Sentient Being
Elite Member
Last edited:

SpawnXX

Premium Member

BoneJj

After a long wait, I'm finally starting to order parts to get my bike working again.

* Mirrors
* GYT Folding Gear Shifter Lever

Still need a few more parts, but it's all cosmetic.

What I'm noticing now is, my chain has a really loud rattle when I get it into 3rd gear or higher when it's on the stand. I read on the forums and it sounds like it's normal, but it's never been this noisy.

When the bike went down, I hit the deer with my front tire only and it literally just tipped over and slide 15' or 20'. I was going about 25 mph. I can't imagine I have any serious damage at that speed if it only slid.

When I dumped my bike the 1st time, I didn't have any chain rattle when I continued to ride it.

The bike was left out for a few days and it got rained on. I took a wire brush, WD40, chain lubricant, and chain wax to the entire chain. I got most of the rust off, but am still hearing the noise.

I take it this is normal?
as old as this thread is I would say that it's just time for a new chain. you probably have damage inside the links and on the bearings if the chain was let to rust on, could easily make for ways of moisture to get in behind the seals and cause problems.

But first check your chain tension and that it's not just slapping around. If not check the areas already mentioned (behind front sprocket guard) and see if there is a problem there. If you can't seem to locate the problem after doing the series of checks it's probably time to consider a new chain.

Also rotate the tire on the stand with the bike in neutral and see if there is any kinks in the chain as it rolls off the front or back sprocket, that will let you know if there is some serious damage in the bearings of the chain.

I just check the wheel in neutral with engine off.

The sound is coming from the rear sprocket. It's not loud when spinning it lightly. The front is quiet. I cleaned the teeth as best as I could and I don't see any obvious damage, although the teeth are a little back. Which, I think is normal wear.

Other than that, the chain only has 3100 miles on it.

BoneJj

I just check the wheel in neutral with engine off.

The sound is coming from the rear sprocket. It's not loud when spinning it lightly. The front is quiet. I cleaned the teeth as best as I could and I don't see any obvious damage, although the teeth are a little back. Which, I think is normal wear.

Other than that, the chain only has 3100 miles on it.
maybe you need a new sprocket?

FastFreddy

I've heard of the rattly chain problem before, there's a nut that could be loose and it hits the chain near the back. I've had it myself, I can't think, its one of those "oh yeah" moments, its a simple problem.

BoneJj

Just rode the bike yesterday for the first time since the crash, the noise went away. Everything appears to be good!
I would still have a mechanic buddy or maybe a tech from one of the local bikeshops look it over after hours or something.

Just in case they catch something you didn't. more than 2 eyes on a bike is a good thing.

93cc

Sorry to hear about that man. At least you're better though:D. I dropped my bike yesterday.. A car pulled right out in front of me and there's a huge dent in the gas tank:( Do you know where I can get a new one?
So in case like that doesnt the other drivers insurance cover the damage?

BoneJj

Sorry to hear about that man. At least you're better though:D. I dropped my bike yesterday.. A car pulled right out in front of me and there's a huge dent in the gas tank:( Do you know where I can get a new one?
I find it better to just hit their vehicle a little VS dropping the bike as they will drive off if you just drop the bike, if you hit their car even a little they will have to stop.

Then it's their insurance and only their insurance.