Laid the bike down after being hit by a deer

I just had my 2nd accident in about 12 months I think.

I was coming up to an intersection about 3 AM and the road conditions were wet. I looked to my right because as I was coming closer to the intersection, something caught my eye. I saw a full grown deer that was startled by my bike and started to run along side of me. The deer couldn't run away from me because there was a huge chain linked fence that was right next to the sidewalk going all the way up to the intersection. So, the deer just ran parallel to me... Before I knew it, it just darted in front of me and I nailed him in the ass knocking him over in a tumble and stuff. My bike low sided but I think I might of high sided a little bit. I landed on my shoulder so HARD. I've never felt so much pain from a sprain in my entire life. It was so horrible. The deer got up and ran off.

I broke my mirror and scratched the faring a little bit. It didn't look that bad from what I saw... I bent in the gear shift lever and cracked a few pieces off of the upper faring. I guess you would call that part of the dash assembly.

I was taken to the hospital, but I had nothing other than a shoulder sprain/injury done to me.

I now have a $1,000+ winter project on me. Right after I just got done basically paying my credit card off.

I'm wondering if I should just take all the plastic off the bike and beef up on my armor in-case I fall again. I hate how if you fall once, it's going to cost well over $500 to fix any damage (usually.

https://maps.google.com/maps/place?ftid=0x89c30808e085e837:0xc491e23cf8f8fd0&q=vail+rd+parsippany+and+rt+46&hl=en&ved=0CA8Q-gswAA&sa=X&ei=pqKiUNnEM_DGxAH_g4DYDA&sig2=5uFqvkofPWeEvaaWbd9fMw

I was turning right onto RT 46 from Vail. I think about 100' from the actual intersection. You can see a street level view of it on that link, or just look over with the Satellite enabled and you'll see clearly where I was.

End Rant

Last edited:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

bleedinblue

Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

BKP

Sorry to hear you went down...

Deer are so unpredictable... and they're all over the place down here as well. I've been in that same situation, with one running practically alongside, due to a fence (and I believe I posted the video of it around here somewhere -- it was a July 4th morning ride). I slowed to a crawl when that happened... because you never know what they'll do.

Glad to hear the injuries weren't worse.
There is a relatively new type of armor, called D30 T5 molecular armor. It's thinner than standard CE armor, but protects as well, if not better. Apparently, on impact, the molecules bind to one another, and spread the force of the impact over the entire plate, which mitigates that one point of contact, to a degree. I haven't tested it real world myself, thankfully (they're in my Kilimanjaro jacket), but if you were looking for something that might offer additional protection, that might be the ticket.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

DragonBlu

Sorry to hear you had a run in with a deer. Deer belong in the frying pan and not on the road. Take care!

I appreciate your kind words everyone.

I was looking at this last night because for some reason, my shift armor just missed that area that got hit. I was going to buy their older model years ago, but just never got around to it.

Forcefield Pro Shirt - Street Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore

Older Version - Forcefield Action Shirt - RevZilla

All my pain currently is in the circle in this picture.. For some reason, the SHIFT Jacket either moved or the angle of the hit just cleared the end of the armor..

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member
Yes I did. Nothing more than a serious bruise. I didn't land on the outside (which I had). I landed somehow on the inside heh. I checked out OK and my helmet only suffered a nickel's size scratch on it.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member
Last edited:

TylerB96

Sorry to hear about that man. At least you're better though:D. I dropped my bike yesterday.. A car pulled right out in front of me and there's a huge dent in the gas tank:( Do you know where I can get a new one?

JSP

Super Moderator
Sorry to hear about that man. At least you're better though:D. I dropped my bike yesterday.. A car pulled right out in front of me and there's a huge dent in the gas tank:( Do you know where I can get a new one?
You can get new tank from some online parts places or a dealer... Price is around $700. Not sure you will be able to find a used undamaged tank. Keep an eye on ebay.

b_who

Glad you didn't get hurt to bad...dear are some scary stuff to run into. At least u got some something motorcycle related to do over the winter lol
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Detrich

Sorry to hear about the mishap, but good to hear that you aren't badly hurt.

I've seen deer multiple times in both Azusa Canyon and ACH. Had a close call in ACH one time, and it scared the bajeebers outta me. Felt my heart pounding all the way down the mountain after that...

Speedy recovery and hope you get the bike fixed soon.

CrazyCawi

just buy a stunt cage.....

FastFreddy

I've had busted shoulders before and its painful.
I ended up finding out the moves that help fix it.

I'd recommend the rotator cuff exercise with the cable pulleys to help with the shoulder. You can do the exercises with the cable pulley either shoulder height or with the elbow down near the hip height. Rotating the humerus motions basically, I had to look that word up. Just very light weight with this. It takes about 3-6 months to heal.

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions!

I'm curious... I don't think I want to claim the bike, since I only damaged the foot shifter, and broke a mirror off...

How hard is it to replace the shifter? Is it expensive?

Is there anything else us riders can put on our bike to protect the body panels from damage, etc.?

Last edited: