Just had my first boxing match

roundhouse

at the age of 44. It was a great experience. Did my best. (i took the fight with 17 days notice) I came in at 162 1/2#. i estimate the other dude at 185#. I would have fought if he came in 50# over weight.

He got the better of me but it went the distance.

Looking back, this was a great experience. I have a great new respect for "real" fighters. Cutting weight is a *****. The anxiety leading up to the bout. The sore muscles from training. And lastly the fight itself. I am not a natural athlete but I proved to myself I have the balls to stand stand in front of another man and try to hurt him while he does the same to me.

No excuses, I lost because he was better. Went the distance. I have a sore nose and left hand but nothing is broken even if my pride took a little hit.

I am the one in the black Muay Thai trunks, yellow head gear.

Attachments

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

BKP

Congrats on getting out there...

If you're looking for both cardio (and muscle) workouts like you've never had before, as well as *practical* martial art skills (that are actually effective) after a year or two of training), give Krav Maga a shot...

You may have to "unlearn" a few things if you've been trained in Tae Kwon Do, Karate, or any of the traditional Asian forms, however, I'll guarantee you'll be ready to not only stand toe to toe, but prevail, against a brown or low black Asian practitioner after two years of Krav...

It incorporates Muay Thai... as well as boxing, and Brazilian JJ... However, it focuses on multiple opponents, as well as quick, effective, disabling of your opponent...

P.S. In my 40's/50's I was sparring with 20-somethings... you're certainly not too old for this...

Last edited:

roundhouse

Congrats on getting out there...

If you're looking for both cardio (and muscle) workouts like you've never had before, as well as *practical* martial art skills (that are actually effective) after a year or two of training), give Krav Maga a shot...
i have done Krav Maga, KFM ([ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkzFkN2FO3U]Keysi Fighting Method MMA Training 1 - YouTube[/ame]) Muay Thai, Boxing, and I am a blue belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. (took me 3 years to get that)

Never done TKD, did karate as a young teen but I don;t feel any of it was practical in ring sport other than a side kick.

I like Krav Maga, I just like Muay Thai better.

BKP

I like Krav Maga, I just like Muay Thai better.
I understand.

I've never done Muay Thai as a specific practice. However, the main body of Krav is based on Muay Thai. In fact my KM instructor, Marshell Davis, trained with Manu Ntoh, prior to his KM instructor training (as well as being a Golden Gloves competitor) So, there's a huge Muay Thai influence in Krav (at least in his gym - as well as boxing). Freddy Assuncao of the Assuncao Bros., does the BJJ training at this site, as well.

I've also done Shotokan, Hapkido, and TKD. And, I agree with you 100% -- none of them, unless you literally spend your life on the practice, is anywhere near as practical or effective as Krav. Davis spent months getting me to drop bad habits from those practices.

What I think distinguishes Krav (other than just focusing on what works, rather than the philosophical BS, and kata of traditional Asian martial arts classes), is it takes the best of the disciplines it combines: boxing, and BJJ, and Muay Thai, and gives you a rounded approach... largely resembles MMA tactics but with more of the lethal techniques in the blend, that are obviously not allowed in the ring.

Anyway, it was a suggestion in terms of the workout that Krav demands. Didn't know you had done it. Level advances in my gym were typically 4 hour tests non-stop movement. We'd have 15 minutes half-way through to change clothes (and clean up, if you puked... which was not uncommon). Big difference from the typical Asian dojo, where if you pay your $200/mo., and do a reasonable facsimile of what they taught you, during the 20 minute test -- maybe break a board or two :rolleyes: you get your next belt or stripe.

HotSauce

Way cool, man, congrats!! I started boxing earlier this year as a means to get in shape, but our classes our limited to bag work only....it has made me want to get in the ring once just to see what it's really like, but I'll be honest I'm not interested in getting popped in the nose! I agree, no matter how good or bad you do, stepping into that ring def. makes you a man...who knows, maybe one day I'll get up the courage to try it myself!

roundhouse

Way cool, man, congrats!! I started boxing earlier this year as a means to get in shape, but our classes our limited to bag work only....it has made me want to get in the ring once just to see what it's really like, but I'll be honest I'm not interested in getting popped in the nose! I agree, no matter how good or bad you do, stepping into that ring def. makes you a man...who knows, maybe one day I'll get up the courage to try it myself!

i say do it. the anxiety goes away when those punches start flying. your lungs will burn, you won't feel any pain, i have never been so focused in my life.

honestly i know it sounds cliche, but it was like i have been living my life day to day with the volume at 5 and all of the sudden it is at 10 for that short blink of time.

i told my wife i was only going to do it once. but we have fights coming up in January and I may see if there is an opponent for me.

Last edited:

linkgt

i say do it. the anxiety goes away when those punches start flying. your lungs will burn, you won't feel any pain, i have never been so focused in my life.

honestly i know it sounds cliche, but it was like i have been living my life day to day with the volume at 5 and all of the sudden it is at 10 for that short blink of time.

i told my wife i was only going to do it once. but we have fights coming up in January and I may see if there is an opponent for me.
That's awesome! I want to take up boxing someday when I have some extra $ to do it. Btw, how much is it monthly for a typical boxing gym?

DevlDog

I take muay thai myself fairly often. Usually twice a week. Age doesn't really have much to do with it brother, the guy that teaches me is 43 years old, and has trained a shitload of people that have gone on and fought in muay thai, pro and amateur, as well as other stuff like MMA.

One thing he says on the regular is that a lot of people come in and think that muay thai will make them invincible fighting machines. He says muay thai doesn't make you invincible, and that ANY time you fight someone, you should approach it as if they're the baddest mother on the planet.

I'm not sure how it is in boxing, but we're taught to bob and weave and move our heads and what-not. Has kept my nose from getting tore up too bad. Took me a long time to get to where I was even moderately proficient at it, and I still get caught in the face now and again.

Fighting a guy 20-some pounds heavier than you is a pretty big difference too. I've heard a lot of good stuff about KM, but it isn't so much the style of someone that makes them good with it, but rather how good the individual is at using what they've been taught. There's a dude that teaches TKD out of the same gym that I learn muay thai in, and he can make that stuff work for him. Just depends on the person.

HotSauce

That's awesome! I want to take up boxing someday when I have some extra $ to do it. Btw, how much is it monthly for a typical boxing gym?
My fiance and I are members at Title Boxing Club, I wanna say it's around $100 something for the two of us a month. It's a pretty good club, and if we travel the membership is good at any of their locations so that's kinda nice. But I'm sure there are others that may be cheaper.

FastFreddy

Congratulations on the first fight at 44.

I like boxing footwork and the left hook, jaw or rib shot.

It's one of those sports that has a good incentive to stay 100% concentration during the bout and not to puff out, otherwise you get hit.

Last edited:

roundhouse

I take muay thai myself fairly often. Usually twice a week. Age doesn't really have much to do with it brother, the guy that teaches me is 43 years old, and has trained a shitload of people that have gone on and fought in muay thai, pro and amateur, as well as other stuff like MMA.

Fighting a guy 20-some pounds heavier than you is a pretty big difference too. .
LinkGT i pay $75 a month. but a lot of places are up to $200 a month.

DD, i can definitely feel I have slowed over the last 10-15 years. that's not to say I don;t still have some power and accuracy just speed and cardio. speed is important but a guy with good timing can beat speed in some cases. it is a young man's sport but i will keep at it as long as i can. the Muay Thai is pretty brutal on the joints. so is the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

also with age, recovery is slowed quite a bit.

my wife says I should dust off the golf clubs and get back on the courses. i like golf but i love MT, and boxing. there will be plenty of time for golf and fishing later