Iphone app to record and navigate trips

profi247

Hi all,

I'm looking for an Iphone app that lets me record my rides (live gps while riding) and then navigate me through them (directions on where to go given to me, preferably by voice). I usually ride new routes with a group, and then want to ride the same route by myself, so it would help a lot.

Do any of you use an app close to that? and what other iphone apps do you use?

kevin8198

Elite Member

profi247

Thanks for your reply,

I checked it out and it does not seem to do both things.

On Iphone I use MapQuest and Skobbler to get just the turn by turn directions with voice, but it doesn't record my ride. They are both free, so don't pay for other ones, try these first. For recording I used Nike plus (was free for a limited time) and iMapMyRide (free, but is meant for bicyclists).

But yeah I am looking that does both.

kevin8198

Elite Member

bakkenlab

how long of rides do you go on? what you could do instead of using an app is just mark your start position on your built in iphone map and then when you're done riding just put another "pin" and say get directions. It will most likely give you the course you went on depending on how many turns you take and what not (usually gives you the fastest route of how to get to point a to point b, but if you've already ridden the route it should be close to the same). But if that works, you can plug that into a garmin or tom tom app and get turn by turn directions that way.... just a thought

or you could go fork over 350 for a contour gps lol

profi247

how long of rides do you go on? what you could do instead of using an app is just mark your start position on your built in iphone map and then when you're done riding just put another "pin" and say get directions. It will most likely give you the course you went on depending on how many turns you take and what not (usually gives you the fastest route of how to get to point a to point b, but if you've already ridden the route it should be close to the same). But if that works, you can plug that into a garmin or tom tom app and get turn by turn directions that way.... just a thought

or you could go fork over 350 for a contour gps lol
Lol! I'd rather make my own app like that than hand over $350. As far as marking, maybe the app can just record my ride and then export to mapquest app or some other voice navigation app. So 2 apps will work fine as long as they can share stored trips.
Marking it myself is a nice idea for short trips, unfortunately the guys I ride with tend to take the scenic routes rather than fastest ones. Average ride is anywhere from 2 to 10 hours.

profi247

Found it!!!11oneoneone:D

Iphone app: 'Location Tracking GPS Lite for iOS 4' by Bin Zhao
Location Tracking GPS Lite for iOS 4 for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store
It's FREE, but there is a full paid version if you want too.
First you start the stopwatch to start recording all kinds of neat stuff, then it saves it, and then you can 'Route' it from saved tracks.
Haven't tested the routing yet, but it did show me(gps location) on the map with the recorded track. Also can export it to Google Maps and view it that way.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

CtrlAltDl

Get MotionX-GPS for recording routes and get MotionX GPS Drive for voice directions. I know they were both 99 cents when I bought them. Bar none the best apps I've bought on my iPhone! They are always updating the apps and get better and better each time.

CtrlAltDl