installing a power outlet on the fz6r

erionalite

hey guys, has anyone of you tried to install a power outlet on the fz6r?

I want to install it as it is part of the plastic but wanted to get and todos of how if anyone here has tried to do such a thing.

thanks

raybob

Haven't installed one on the FZ6R, but did install one on a YZF600R. I used a 12V automotive relay and a marine bus bar (blue sea). Something like this:

Dualbus Plus 150a Plus, Screw+ Circuits, 1/4 20 Stud

and

12VDC/40A SPST Automotive Relay : Relays & transformers | RadioShack.com

The relays are everywhere: radio shack, autozone, pep boys, etc.

The good thing is that once you have a switched powered bus bar installed, you can run lights, dual horns, heated grips, and electric vests from the thing.

In short, you need to figure out how to mount the bus bar and relay under your seat. I used a piece of plywood that I cut to shape, put some polyurethane on it, mounted the bus bar and relay, then bolted it to the bodywork. Ran some 16 gauge wire from the battery and from a switched line (see your manual) to the solenoid and from there to the bus bar. Ran whatever from the bus bar connections.

If the above makes sense, you're good to go!

Bob

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

raybob

Chris: That bike has been gone a long time, but I'll repeat the setup on the FZ6R (if I can find the bus bar in the garage!).

erionalite: you can simply wire a power outlet directly from the battery if you want. pick a place in the plastic where you want to mount it and drill an appropriately sized hole using a spade bit (usually 3/4"). I found that I don't trust them not to drain my battery or screw things up in the rain. To overcome this, I usually put a waterproof (sealed toggle) switch by the socket, wired on the ground side, If you don't use a fused bus bar, put in an inline fuse. Aerostich sells all of these parts:

Search results for: '4757' :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear
Search results for: '4667' :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear
Search results for: '4654' :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear
Search results for: '4755' :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear
Search results for: '4758' :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear
etc.

HTH,
Bob

roidrage

mounted one on the inside of my right fairing. Wired in straight to the battery, haven't had any problems with it and its been there for over a year. Got it at a autozone.